Club recruitmemt policy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How do you guys feel about the way we recruit? Is it fraught with danger by paying massive dollars to guys in their late 20's (ala Bell, BK and Ox) to make our team competitive for 3 years or so? Or is it better to use the money to entice young players to our club before they've made their big breakthrough. The most successful teams of recent years (ie Dogs, Panthers, Broncos, etc) don't seem to pay big bucks for big name players. Most of their good players seem to come up through the ranks, either through their juniors system or purchased at a young age. Where should we be heading with regards to this? Is it a matter of a mixed policy?

Crusher....isnt it an expectation from your job description to be fully conversant with this subject yourself.

In fact the expert !

Surely your not asking this question of us to gain insight ?

Crusher, the talented juniors want to play for the Bulldogs and Roosters etc.

Manly either have to be lucky or get 3rd pick juniors

CRAP!!!!

The Roosters and the Dogs go out and spend massive dollars on anyone under the age of 15 that can break into a run. They then bring them to Sydney if they are any good. Other clubs don't have the resources to compete. It is not a matter of WANT but the fact that they are offered money.

I think Manly are justified in spending big dough on key players. The club needs to be competitive.

Follow the junior policy outlined by Crusher and we would be competing with Souths for the NRLs biggest losers. Players like BK are having a big impact on the others in the club and creating a spirit that will go on.

I sit and read about Ryan's nonsense about losing culture etc but if we are not competitive now we will shrivel and die!!!

Two years ago our juniors were the bottom of every comp, our PL team was rock bottom and we couldn't crack the top 10. All of our teams are going in the right direction.

Canteen Workers on the money. Money talks Byso!!!

I have been a Manly fan as long as I have followed league and if I was offered the chance to play with Manly or the Roosters when I was a junior and the Roosters offered me a substantial amount more I would have signed with them.

[quote author=byso]

CRAP!!!!

The Roosters and the Dogs go out and spend massive dollars on anyone under the age of 15 that can break into a run. They then bring them to Sydney if they are any good. Other clubs don't have the resources to compete. It is not a matter of WANT but the fact that they are offered money.

I think Manly are justified in spending big dough on key players. The club needs to be competitive.

Follow the junior policy outlined by Crusher and we would be competing with Souths for the NRLs biggest losers. Players like BK are having a big impact on the others in the club and creating a spirit that will go on.

I sit and read about Ryan's nonsense about losing culture etc but if we are not competitive now we will shrivel and die!!!

Two years ago our juniors were the bottom of every comp, our PL team was rock bottom and we couldn't crack the top 10. All of our teams are going in the right direction.

[/quote]

1000% spot on :clap:

I could never wear another teams colours on my chest and feel a sense of self respect and loyalty. If it came to a situation where a rival NRL: club was offering me more money I would stick it out with manly and if nothing came of it I would look for another career. The thought of being booed onto the hallowed turf of Brookvale Oval on a Sunday afternoon with the aim of defeating the sea eagles makes me sick in the stomach. I'm sure beaver feels the same way.

I could never wear another teams colours on my chest and feel a sense of self respect and loyalty. If it came to a situation where a rival NRL: club was offering me more money I would stick it out with manly and if nothing came of it I would look for another career. The thought of being booed onto the hallowed turf of Brookvale Oval on a Sunday afternoon with the aim of defeating the sea eagles makes me sick in the stomach. I'm sure beaver feels the same way.

So true man. Garts is a poonce, so take anything he says with a grain of salt.

CW you sound so sure of yourself, If I have the opportunity I will ask someone who really knows tomorrow night. ;)

My point was, when the clubs have there trials at the beginning of the season, the players that AREN'T already signed by any club. Would initially go to a Roosters or Bulldogs club etc. Then if they are cut go to the next club that would have them. Say Manly etc.

A young Manly supporter would try here first. If that is their dream.

Obviously a SBW and co would get signed well in advance though.

Byso - let me know what you find out. Coming from the country know of a number of talented players (not necessarily top echelon players) who were paid money to be on the books of certain clubs. As they progressed they were either brought to Sydney or cast off but in the intervening years noone could touch them as they had signed with the clubs.

If you are a young bloke, as much as you love the maroon and white, you would take the first offer if you are ambitious.

Also - Manly have had little exposure over the last 5 years and so it is not the club of preference for so many young guys like in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

[quote author=manly101]

[/quote]

im probably second in line behind that wanker MSIH.

Manly is always up against it with Juniors. The AFL system spreads the young talent across all clubs irrespective of allegiances or locality. In NRL, the Penriths, Parras, Bulldogs, Broncos, Nth Qld, Newcastle, Melbournes, etc are going to have a disproportionate advantage given their recruitment areas.

My recollection is that Bozo took over junior recruitment for a period with amazing success at all levels - around the time Gartner, Kosef & Beaver were coming through. Don't know his secret, (significant investment?) but we could sure use a bit of it now.

[quote author=Volley]
[quote author=manly101]

[/quote]

im probably second in line behind that wanker MSIH.

[/quote]

Is that that chump from WSS?

I think you've got his measure in terms of tossiness, just.

Byso - let me know what you find out. Coming from the country know of a number of talented players (not necessarily top echelon players) who were paid money to be on the books of certain clubs. As they progressed they were either brought to Sydney or cast off but in the intervening years noone could touch them as they had signed with the clubs.

If you are a young bloke, as much as you love the maroon and white, you would take the first offer if you are ambitious.

Also - Manly have had little exposure over the last 5 years and so it is not the club of preference for so many young guys like in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Basically I'm agreeing with what you are suggesting. Many players are bought early. I guess I was initially referring to non-signed players. Looking for an opportunity. I'm sure some/many talented players don't get signed up at an early age.

Basically I'm agreeing with what you are suggesting. Many players are bought early. I guess I was initially referring to non-signed players. Looking for an opportunity. I'm sure some/many talented players don't get signed up at an early age.

Lets be honest here Byso, who was the last player, from any club that went to an open trial and progressed through to NRL standard? I don't know of any but I doubt there would be very many, if any at all.

The facts are that any player with any degree of talent has been spotted, identified and probably signed to a club by the time they turn 14.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4