Club is greater than the player

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Given that Manly/Carlton are often referred to as the Carlton/Manly of the NRL/AFL I was very interested to read of the stand Carlton has taken against its star player.

I would hope Manly would do similar if a similar situation arose:

Carlton coach Denis Pagan dismissed any "if only" suggestions over Brendan Fevola's suspension, saying the ruling was more important for the AFL club than the player or one game.

Fevola did not play in the Blues' 23-point loss to Melbourne at the MCG after the Blues last week suspended the full-forward for his petulant and ill-disciplined game in last weekend's loss to Fremantle.

The question of whether Fevola would have made the difference arose when the Blues missed several telling set shots in the final quarter which would have reduced the margin to under a goal, but Pagan stood by the suspension.

"Brendan hasn't been in good form for five weeks anyway," Pagan said.

"It's unfortunate it's come that way.

"But if we drive down Royal Parade in 80 years time, I think the Carlton Football Club will be there but none of us will, and that's the most important thing."

Fevola will on Monday meet with Pagan to outline his goals for the future after being banished from the club for a week, but has been told he is no automatic selection for next Sunday's clash against Sydney.

Earlier, Carlton president Richard Pratt described the Blues' decision to suspend the reigning Coleman medallist as a "seminal moment" in the club's history, but one which showed no one was bigger than the team.

In welcoming former Carlton premiership player Ken Hands to the pre-game lunch, Pratt said "respecting the jumper" was an edict Hands had lived by, and that Fevola needed reminding of that mantra.

"The club acted swiftly and decisively in sending the strongest possible message to Brendan that the team is greater than the individual," Pratt said.

"Future success can only happen if everyone at Carlton works as one.

"The decision to suspend Brendan was not taken lightly, but it was taken at a seminal moment in Carlton history.

"Right now the club is striving to re-establish itself as an on-field and off-field powerhouse whose brand is to be respected rather than pitied and pilloried.

"To do that it must set a standard."

Fevola is contracted to Carlton in 2008, but his suspension increased speculation he might be traded after this season, depending on his attitude and whether the Blues might think they are better trading him for younger players.

Comparing manly to any afl team is a gross insult.

AFL signifies whats wrong with this country. Getting a point for missing is WRONG, close enough ISN'T good enough.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2