Clint Newton the dog

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
I'll retire for my mate Clint

MELBOURNE star Michael Crocker has performed the ultimate act of grand final mateship - offering to retire a season early to ensure off-contract back-row partner Clint Newton remains in the NRL.

Crocker fronted Storm coach Craig Bellamy earlier this month and demanded Newton be kept at all costs.

Then, in an incredible gesture of selflessness, Crocker said he would personally pay the price by forgoing the final season of his current deal.

In order to prevent the salary cap from forcing Newton to England after Sunday's grand final, the 27-year-old firebrand is prepared to quit the game after 2008.

"Just thinking about it is very humbling - I get a bit emotional," Newton said. "It's a massive thing for Michael to do. I would never expect anyone to do something like that, and he did it off his own bat - the club didn't put any pressure on him.

"I didn't even know until after the game against Parramatta on Sunday night. I was blown away."

Newton, 26, is poised to cap a remarkable season with a grand final appearance on Sunday - just four months after being unwanted at Newcastle. Until the Crocker offer, Newton looked to have little hope of remaining at Melbourne because the club can only afford to offer him around $70,000 next season.

But by standing aside the following year, Crocker would free up almost $200,000 - thereby enabling the Storm to compensate Newton with a far higher salary in 2009.

After transferring from the Knights in acrimonious circumstances, Newton has thrived in the Victorian capital and is immensely popular among his new teammates.

The son of Aussie golfing great Jack Newton last night compared Crocker's gesture to something you see in the movies.

Storm insiders say serious knee and shoulder injuries over the past two seasons have convinced Crocker his battered frame is now a "year-to-year proposition".

Crocker already requires a shoulder reconstruction after Sunday night's decider that will leave him sidelined until midway through next year.

He privately believes retaining Newton is crucial to the club's forward strength, given props Ben Cross (signed with Newcastle) and Garrett Crossman (negotiating with Hull KR) are both likely to be playing elsewhere in 2008.

Only loose acquaintances before Newton joined Storm, the pair have developed into close mates over the past four months.

Not only do they partner each other in weight training, but Crocker and his girlfriend Sally have played a vital role in Newton's swift adjustment to Bleak City by cooking for him on an almost weekly basis.

They first spoke about Crocker's offer over one such dinner on Monday night.

"Something like this is a perfect example of why I'm so happy in Melbourne," Newton said. "It's the type of mateship that has brought the club a long way, and will hopefully serve us well in the grand final on Sunday."

Newton is considering a formal offer from one UK Super League club - understood to be Hull KR - that would see him earn $150,000-a-season more than if he were to remain in Melbourne.

Storm coach Bellamy last night said the club desperately wanted to keep the former Knight. He confirmed that he had spoken with Crocker, but declined to reveal details of a private conversation.

So Crocker has received a bigger offer from Union or something else. That, or he's been caught taking the Persian Rugs, and they're telling him to leave with dignity.

27, potential rep player retires? LoL

First he gets in a **** storm at Newcastle because he's not good enough to play in the side that Brian Smith has planned.

Secondly he takes it public and runs away from a failing team mid contract mid season.

It then takes him a weekend to arrive at the team running 1st in the competition and talks himself up a a premiership contender nearly straight away.

Now someone is retiring to make way for his contract. What a crocker of ****. He doesn't deserve any of it. IMO one of the low lifes of sport.

1. He wanted to stay at Newcastle
2. I cant believe you are defending Brian Smith.
3. How can you begrudge a bloke that picks up another club after being told he isnt wanted, and was released from that club.
4. The Jamie Lyon situation was probably worse, he walked out on his club, yet you dont call him a dog.

Open both eyes before you make these sort of comments.

I dont begrudge Newtown, Smith by all reports is a prick and can treat players he does not want pretty ordinary. If my boss said you are not wanted I would be looking for another job as well. I know you have the mates issue but all the best to him, I just dont want him to win a premiership as he is playing Manly, no other reason.

This reminds me of the Steve Turner situation, I remember so many Manly fans ripping into him for turning his back on the titans yet when I asked how they felt about Lyon they said nothing.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6