Cliffy Lyons - An Immortal ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Look I obviously watch Manly players in a better light than the opposition- no doubt
But in my personal time involved in rugby league, both as a player and a fan, have never seen a more instinctive player than Cliff Lyons.
Have seen faster, more elusive and tougher....but when it comes to timing and unpredictable skills have seen no player at his level.
Anyways, just an off season thought ....but if Cliffy shouldn't be in there I need solid evidence why not....arguably the most influential Manly player I have seen since the 1980's

While it would be great to see Cliffy as an Immortal ... its just not going to happen. TBH, if any Manly players join Bozo in the club it will be the likes of Ken Irvine, Graham Eadie and/or Steve Menzies. And none are likely at this stage.

Yes, Cliffy will always be considered a club great rather than an all time great of the game.

He had his moments at international level, but never really shone at SOO level, up against King Wal.

Six test appearances and a similar sort of number at NSW level will not earn you an invite to the big show.

Look I obviously watch Manly players in a better light than the opposition- no doubt
But in my personal time involved in rugby league, both as a player and a fan, have never seen a more instinctive player than Cliff Lyons.
Have seen faster, more elusive and tougher....but when it comes to timing and unpredictable skills have seen no player at his level.
Anyways, just an off season thought ....but if Cliffy shouldn't be in there I need solid evidence why not....arguably the most influential Manly player I have seen since the 1980's
He is already a Manly God @maxta . Therefore as a deity in his own right, he is automatically an immortal to us. (Manly fans). At the end of the day being a Manly great is arguably more important then being an immortal anyway. There will never be another Cliffy.

The status of the Immortals has become more and more diluted, should have stopped at the first four, all the rest definitely belong in the Hall of Fame.
I just cringe when that twerp Andrew Johns constantly refers to himself as the Eighth, if anything, Lockyer was ahead of him.

Should be 1 immirtal per decade, the rest in the hall of fame.

They are devaluing the concept
I think it is flawed concept & a silly name - literally speaking, everyone is mortal - just 4 of the 13 named immortals are still intact @:D

As you suggest, it would make more sense to have a player (or players) of the decade. It could be based on stats instead of the subjective opinion of a panel (maybe a subjective criterion like 'influence on the game' could be included.)

Last edited:
Don't let the daily tele or NRL dictate to us who is and who isn't an immortal. Cliffy played in the A grade till what age, the only magician with ball in hand, absolutely the greatest player of the 80s, 90s, Noughts, and Teens. Those that haven't honoured the great one,can just go get #$&@$#. He is an immortal.

Perspective time ... to put things in full Perspective

Cliffy on his day was as brilliant and as dominating as the best of them

Any one with football knowledge will vouch for that

One thing for sure is at Manly he is a Manly Immortal and one of the greatest players we have ever
seen

There are many worthy immortals and Cliffy deserves the Immortal recognition

But let it be known feathered friends
There is ONLY ONE INCOMPARABLE IMMORTAL . THE ONE AND ONLY BOB FULTON !!!

Age shall not weary Manly Legends
images

The Great Cliffy had Lightning Speed between the ears and he would think
and create a break quicker than the defence could blink .

The status of the Immortals has become more and more diluted, should have stopped at the first four, all the rest definitely belong in the Hall of Fame.
I just cringe when that twerp Andrew Johns constantly refers to himself as the Eighth, if anything, Lockyer was ahead of him.
One of the greatest rorts of all time Johns being named an immortal, I'm still in disbelief especially when everyone was aware of the drug testing fiasco etc, complete b.s. in my book

He is already a Manly God @maxta . Therefore as a deity in his own right, he is automatically an immortal to us. (Manly fans). At the end of the day being a Manly great is arguably more important then being an immortal anyway. There will never be another Cliffy.
When opposition players of the past who played in Cliffys era, when being interviewed, often say that Cliffy was the best 5/8 Aust ever had. Who knows E4L, could happen...

As much as I love Cliffy (1 of my top 5 Manly players) he isn’t going to be an Immortal. A great player and deserving of Hall of Fame induction but not an Immortal. Sadly didn’t play enough Rep football which shows your top of position in game for a period of time and that’s just to get in the discussion.

If you change the subject to achievements at Manly it’s a different story. I still don’t understand how the hell he didn’t get selected as starting 5/8 in Manly’s 60th anniversary team is beyond me! Some go on about O’Connell’s contribution to the club by sacrificing a year of playing to come over in 1950 and the year before was starting 6 in Australian team is true but only he played 2 seasons and 1 test while at Manly and missed the GF in 51. Cliffy played 14 years and won 2 comps and lost another 2 GF and won 2 Dally M’s. How many 5/8’s at Manly have done that? Alan Thompson matches him in GF’s but not in Dally M.

Johns should have had his immortal status revoked after his admission of drug taking during his career…..still talks & looks like he’s on something. As for Lockyer I’m absolutely dumbfounded what the big deal is about him. If he’s immortal material then so is my ring! Cliffy, Thurston, Sterling are 10 times the player he was. This immortal thing has become a joke.

Last edited:

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10