Cleary's Or Turbos?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

If you had to pick 1 family for Manly

• Cleary's: Coach and halfback

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Turbo brothers: FB and 13

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
Ok post GF fun.
Would you rather have Ivan as coach with Nathan our 7 OR Tom and Jake for 2023 ( and Des as coach)

Last edited:
One thing I've learned from your posts is that there is an extraordinary amount of downtime in the submarine branch of the navy.

lulz

(no pun intended re: downtime)
I left boats - we never refer to them as ‘subs’, only skimmers (the surface navy), pongos,* Albo’s Penguins** and civilians do that - nearly three decades ago and have only recently retired from the outfit.

However old habits do die hard.

*Pongos - Army. Because when the Army leaves the pong goes.
**Albo’s Penguins - Air Force. One in a million can fly.

Last edited:
I left boats - we never refer to them as ‘subs’, only skimmers (the surface navy), pongos,* Albo’s Penguins** and civilians do that - nearly three decades ago and have only recently retired from the outfit.

However old habits do die hard.

*Pongos - Army. Because when the Army leaves the pong goes.
**Albo’s Penguins - Air Force. One in a million can fly.
What do you call subs?

What do you call subs?
Boats.

Ships are ships. Never a boat. With the exception of say a patrol boat. I spent time in those too. A ship can carry a boat/boats.

Submarines are always boats. The only change is when referring to the crew - they are still the ‘ship’s company’.

So minus Tom and Jake, Ivan and Nathan come to Manly and that’s the whole trade?
I don’t think our results will be much different. Remember when Cleary coached the tigers? Nathan would then be crucified by Silvertails for not winning us every match.
We’d need to keep Tom and Jake and bring in the whole Penrith team.
Then we we next year.@:cool:

Tom and Jake, no question. They’re home grown talent and any club would love to have them. Nathan is a fine player and currently the world’s best. Ivan is a solid coach but I wouldn’t put him in the mastermind category.

The key differences between Manly and Penrith are not found in the individuals, but in the club's as collective organisms.

Swapping individual players and coaches would probably achieve less than nothing for us. Our club culture is the problem, and until this changes significantly, we are ****ed.

A couple of takeouts from a Cleary interview after the game

“Our club is very aligned,” Cleary stated.

“Everybody is their own person, but we all are woven together by a common thread of doing our best for the club.

“We have a lot of people in our pathways that work so hard and don’t get any credit and don’t seek it either. I think that’s probably the secret.”

Compare the above with Manly. We are simply not in the same league.

The concept of some of our more notorious staff members, hangers-on i.e (Peter Peters et al), and players, actually working towards a common goal is simply laughable. Anyone who doesn't think the club is a complete ****ing joke, in relation to unity and cohesion, is delusional.

So simply swapping the Trbojevics for the Clearys is definitely not the answer.

Having one very strong overarching personality running the show helps. Arthurson was that man for decades. He must have kept a lid on some stuff we never heard about. Gould was clearly Penrith’s ‘Arko’ figure for that early phase of rebuilding.

In more recent times that role at Manly devolved increasingly to the coaches - two in particular - Fulton and Hasler.

The former is gone and the latter, whilst not without fault, is besieged by lesser men within the organisation.

Let me see.
Clearys - last 3 x GF and 2 x wins
Turbos - duck egg.
No contest.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4