Clean out and recruitment

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
With Jamie Lyon hanging up the boots, Tom Symonds off to Huddersfield, Luke Burgess, Jayden Hodges, Brenton Lawrence, Blake Leary, Feleti Mateo and Josh Starling most probs moved on and Brett Stewart, Steve Matai getting tapped tells me we will be very busy this offseason once again.
Having AFB, Knight and Meehan ready to take 3 of the positions on the cheap tells me that we are well and truly in the market to make several major signings.
Will be very interesting to see how we fill our cap.

Last edited:
We are now in the Titans and Eels predicament, we are a **** club and will have to pay massive overs for any player.

I doubt most players would even be interested in coming here regardless of money.

Would you want your 18-25 year son son coming to this club?

Actually if Tom and Jake were my kids I'd be steering them out if I could.
Recruit Des or a similar coach & they will come...

Interesting article I found earlier today from 2008:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/finch-blame-fulton-not-my-dad/story-e6frfgdx-1111116781118

THE man who became a NSW hero after kicking a State of Origin match-winning field goal in 2006 last night took aim at one of rugby league's most powerful men - and it was all in the name of the father.

In an extraordinary spray, former Blues star Brett Finch yesterday called for Bob Fulton to be sacked as a NSW selector if they lose the series after the rugby league Immortal accused his father - referees' boss Robert Finch - of "attempting to change the face of Origin".

An emotional Finch took the unusual step of calling The Daily Telegraph to defend his father after the Manly great said Robert failed to inform NSW of changes to rule interpretations before State of Origin II.

"It is very ordinary," Finch said of Fulton's comments. "It is very personal because he is my dad. What he is accusing my father of is just a disgrace.

"He is basically saying my father isn't good at his job.

"My opinion is he got it wrong (as a selector) in 2006 and 2007 and if the Blues don't win on Wednesday night, then he has gotten it wrong three years in a row. In my opinion he is not good at his job."

----------

Not a fan of Finch, but Fulton has been a NSW selector since 2006 and this has been his record... I think Finch may have had a point:
Wins: 2014
Losses: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015.

Manly has now entrusted the same person to call all the shots with regards to recruiting. We are currently 13th on the NRL ladder after 13 rounds in 2016.

I have my doubts as to the selections this club is making... at the moment it seems like there is absolutely no accountability for the people who are making these decisions... all of which can be forgiven if the club is winning, but we aren't.

Last edited:
Finch is right, but he's also the broken clock that is right twice a day. But hard to argue with this record.

Interesting article I found earlier today from 2008:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/finch-blame-fulton-not-my-dad/story-e6frfgdx-1111116781118

THE man who became a NSW hero after kicking a State of Origin match-winning field goal in 2006 last night took aim at one of rugby league's most powerful men - and it was all in the name of the father.

In an extraordinary spray, former Blues star Brett Finch yesterday called for Bob Fulton to be sacked as a NSW selector if they lose the series after the rugby league Immortal accused his father - referees' boss Robert Finch - of "attempting to change the face of Origin".

An emotional Finch took the unusual step of calling The Daily Telegraph to defend his father after the Manly great said Robert failed to inform NSW of changes to rule interpretations before State of Origin II.

"It is very ordinary," Finch said of Fulton's comments. "It is very personal because he is my dad. What he is accusing my father of is just a disgrace.

"He is basically saying my father isn't good at his job.

"My opinion is he got it wrong (as a selector) in 2006 and 2007 and if the Blues don't win on Wednesday night, then he has gotten it wrong three years in a row. In my opinion he is not good at his job."

----------

Not a fan of Finch, but Fulton has been a NSW selector since 2006 and this has been his record... I think Finch may have had a point:
Wins: 2014
Losses: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015.

Manly has now entrusted the same person to call all the shots with regards to recruiting. We are currently 13th on the NRL ladder after 13 rounds in 2016.

I have my doubts as to the selections this club is making... at the moment it seems like there is absolutely no accountability for the people who are making these decisions... all of which can be forgiven if the club is winning, but we aren't.
Although the stats look a little tale telling, it's a bit hard to evaluate considering the superstar packed Queensland squad for the last decade. Would any other person in a selectors position fair any better?

First Grade recruitment
Backs
Api = Good
Dylan Walker = Good
Loss = Peta Hiku, Gutherson

Forwards
Parcel = still hasnt proved himself in my opinion ( showing good signs )
Myles = Bad
Lewis Brown = Bad
AFB = Looks good ( not sure on how many minutes he can play )
Darcy Lussick = Bad , nothing special
Kapow = 50/50 ( will miss 5-8 games a year due to his mentality )

Loss = Cheekam, Symonds, Justin Horro, Dunamis Lui, Ballin

Reserve graders that may become first graders = unknown

Compared to losses and gains !

recruitment 3 out of 10 rating from me

If i was running a business and had this type of WILD recruitment I would not be sleeping well !

Sorry cant agree about Fulton. Not saying he is the greatest at selecting talent but against QLD he has had some of the most effective and creative players against his side such a Cronk, Thurston, Inglis, Slater etc. They've had a mighty talented bunch up there and we just havent had the playing stock to match them.

Not saying Fulton is a master selector, but really he has been up against it and how much say has he really had with Daley in charge.

With Jamie Lyon hanging up the boots, Tom Symonds off to Huddersfield, Luke Burgess, Jayden Hodges, Brenton Lawrence, Blake Leary, Feleti Mateo and Josh Starling most probs moved on and Brett Stewart, Steve Matai getting tapped tells me we will be very busy this offseason once again.
Having AFB, Knight and Meehan ready to take 3 of the positions on the cheap tells me that we are well and truly in the market to make several major signings.
Will be very interesting to see how we fill our cap.

Very good accurate assessment.
The NRL is going through an evolution in players : the NEW model : built big & strong, mobile (fast ) and take a hell of effort to stop , let alone put to the ground. An example : Jason Taumalolo ( evolution) compare with the old : Lewis Brown. The strong successful teams have them . Players like Jesse Bromwich- most of the Raiders pack - ask Jamie Buhrer how hard Junior Paulo is to tackle
....We don't have much of the new breed and that's why our forwards get dominated every week.

Is anyone concerned about how the current situation may affect our recruitment for 2017?

I'd have to suggest that every single player manager would be avoiding us like the plague.

I had high hopes that we'd recruit a few more goodun's for next year following the departure of Lyon and possibly Stewart, but must say I'm now a little more than worried.

From an old English TV show: "never mind the quality, feel the width"
This, to me, epitomises all that is wrong with MWSE Ltd today. We were subjected to an endless barrage of recruitment announcements last year and each was accompanied by glowing hype about the player mentioned.
If all of these players were "so good", why were they so available? Did MWSE Ltd just have a clean-out for the sake of having a clean-out? Methinks yes! And when they did, - ooops, we had better get some players...

Well done Bob!

From an old English TV show: "never mind the quality, feel the width"
This, to me, epitomises all that is wrong with MWSE Ltd today. We were subjected to an endless barrage of recruitment announcements last year and each was accompanied by glowing hype about the player mentioned.
If all of these players were "so good", why were they so available? Did MWSE Ltd just have a clean-out for the sake of having a clean-out? Methinks yes! And when they did, - ooops, we had better get some players...

Well done Bob!

I think some needed to go, but it was a bloodbath.

I imagine Walker / Marty were the big targets.

If this current scandal goes for months with only " innuendo " fueling the fire I think we could be in for a VERY lean 2017.

Mind you if it's all true , a clean out of the guilty ones followed by a strict edict ( and subsequent enforcement ) from the club might help.

Trouble is , even if charges are made the court cases could take 12-18 months to take place.

For Manly, Bozo has only got two selections wrong.

1. Old Man Myles - but he was selected merely to retain DCE.
2. Trent Barrett.

For Manly, Bozo has only got two selections wrong.

1. Old Man Myles - but he was selected merely to retain DCE.
2. Trent Barrett.

Id agree with 1, not sure about 2.

I'm no Barrett fan BUT he has had somewhat of a " perfect storm " hit him this year AND I'm yet to be convinced he makes the selections.

I think the Jury is somewhat still out on him.

If we are in this same position next year , with an almost fully fit group of players then I'm sure Plan B will be brought in.

I think some needed to go, but it was a bloodbath.

I imagine Walker / Marty were the big targets.

If this current scandal goes for months with only " innuendo " fueling the fire I think we could be in for a VERY lean 2017.

Mind you if it's all true , a clean out of the guilty ones followed by a strict edict ( and subsequent enforcement ) from the club might help.

Trouble is , even if charges are made the court cases could take 12-18 months to take place.

Mark I think if any charges are laid the court may have a presumption of innocence over the course of the court case, but I can guarantee the league fraternity won"t. Knights reserve graders would be a bridge too far in regards to recruitment and retaining players would be incredibly difficult as well.

I am very hopeful of a good outcome but in the unlikely event that charges are laid (given the betting movements) the consequences for our club may be graver than many think as, being Manly, we will be drawn and quartered far more savagely in the League world,regardless of any verdict in the court case, than any other club.I think it is safe to say Toddy wont be going out of his way to help us.

Last edited:
Troubles me somewhat with the criticism of Fulton, which I dont think is entirely deserved. To be clear

a. There is no evidence that he had anything to do with Toovey being kicked out. That was obviously decided early 2015 if not before. Fulton came onto the scene in July 2015

b. Whether Barrett (and Cartwright) is a good choice for coach or not, he was being chosen for the job a few months before Fulton arrived. Fulton may or may not have been involved but was he the one making the choice?

c. The change of of support staff, defense coach, fitness coach etc was also done last year before Fulton's tenure.

d. Several of the lesser players recruited were brought over by Barrett and Cartwright.

e. Team selections are made by Barrett and no doubt Cartwright.

f. The paucity of juniors and back up players is a result of factors well before Fulton came back. He returned to get DCE back and yes one or two DCE wanted there. But it was already late getting recruits for the following year and most talent about the League had already signed up. The range he had available was limited especially given the monies assigned to several Manly greats who were past their prime.

g. The Penns run the show, not Fulton. He is hired to do a job, which he did well. But it doesnt say he agrees with all the Penns do. I would suspect he is as saddened by what happened to Toovey as we are. Mind you I am aware he was somewhat impressed by Barrett

Lets not load all the blame on Fulton's shoulders. His not God and he does make mistakes, no question. But to a degree he saved Manly's bacon by getting DCE to change his mind and then recruiting Walker, Parcell, Taupau and Myles. The Manly club has been in a tough situation because of past financial sins and hard decisions have had to be made to free up the cash. I would say he also regretted losing Gutherson. I would hate the job and the mess he has been loaded with. He can only do what he can do.

True the big thing about Des recruitment
Was astute signings. Travis burns gave us great value signed from qld bush footy.
Burns was playing junior rep in the Cronulla system, before we recruited him. Faced off against a young Soward (playing for the Roosters) in a Ball? GF.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6