Chris Anderson wants Knights coaching job

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
Anderson keen to coach Knights
By Peter Badel
February 5, 2006

FORMER Test coach Chris Anderson has confirmed himself as a shock contender for the vacant Newcastle job, claiming he is rejuvenated after three years away from the NRL.

Anderson, who has not coached in the NRL since splitting with Cronulla at the end of 2003, revealed he has applied for the Knights position and is hopeful of taking over what he regards as one of the best clubs in the game.

Matthew Johns is pushing for Anderson's appointment, the pair having forged a bond when Anderson brought Johns from Wigan to play for the Sharks.

"I have applied, yeah. I think the Knights are one of the real pea jobs in rugby league," said Anderson, who delivered premierships to Canterbury (1995) and Melbourne (1999).

"They are one of the best clubs in the game. I have spoken to Matty (Johns) a number of times about it.

"I really like what Newcastle are about.

"I think in the past the club has suffered because they have not been in a good enough position financially to hold on to the best of their junior players.

"Now that they seem like they are in better shape financially with some good sponsors coming on board, I think they have a terrifically bright future because they now have the ability to hang on to the best of those kids."

Knights boss Ken Conway said he would not discuss any coaching negotiations but confirmed Anderson had applied.

Asked whether Anderson would be interviewed for the job, Conway said: "His coaching record speaks for itself but it will be a matter of whether we think he would be a good fit for the club. That hasn't been decided."

Anderson also has the support of Knights captain Andrew Johns.

Johns is one of four senior players Knights management will consult about the coaching position.

"I have worked with Joey at Test level – it would be terrific to work with him again," Anderson said.

The Sunday Telegraph

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4