Cheyse Blair - like what I'm seeing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If Wolf is gone with an ACL then Hiku will be in. At the moment Hiku is streets ahead of Clint but he will play regular first grade in a year or 2 when Snake,Matai and Killer retire. Right now he's doing his apprenticeship.

If wolfie is out it will be an interesting battle.
Do you keep Hiku working with brett and spending his time training and playing in position as fullback in nsw cup in case he needs to step straight in at any stage again and put Blair (probably just ahead of the younger guys on experience) on the wing to start the season. Or do you put hiku into wolfie's spot.

Personally I think he is coming on too well to be languishing in nsw cup and has proven he will be a 1st grade player for a long time, but I can see the merits in ensuring if brett goes down he isn't being shuffled around from position to position.

plenty of options anyway.

i see Gutherson becoming a Dugan style shape / size once he is finished growing, has a year or two before pushing for a regular spot, but I wouldn't be writing him off. has shown great potential in all i've seen.

Eagle Rock said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Eagle Rock said:
KaZa said:
controversial comment coming:

Dont see the fuss in Gutherson. He looked good in lower grades but he lacks speed and power in first grade. Still young but i think Blair and Hiku are in front of him.

. . . Someone at the club keeps promoting him and we shake our head! He didn't make the Junior Kangaroos last year as he's is not up with the Big Guys now, to light and not tough enough for 1sts. He is not a speedster, has a gangling light frame and always has . . .
You don't seem to have much faith in our club's ability to identify footy talent.

Gutherson is only 19, he plays fullback centre and wing, he is 190 cm, he played for NSW under-20s last year as an 18 year-old ...
Oh yeah, and he's a local junior who want to play for Manly.

Obviously a dud, don't know why we're wasting our time. ;)

He didn't make the Junior Kangeroos last year as I am hearing he is to light and is not tough enough. He was great during the Juniors Days but now most of the boys back then are now getting bigger, stronger and faster. Gutho has had the same build since he was a 13 year old, its hard for him to put muscle on his wiry lanky frame, the big backs will just palm him or smash him when their running full speed at him.

You really prefer big Islander lads don't you Eagle Rock.
Just as well a certain G Toovey never listened to people like you who think you need to be a giant to be a good defender. Come to think of it a certain S Menzies is another classic defender I can think of who isn't beefy.
Sometimes footy nous and other qualities are more important than kilos. Otherwise let's just go and sign Jaryd Hickey.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Eagle Rock said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Eagle Rock said:
KaZa said:

Dont see the fuss in Gutherson. He looked good in lower grades but he lacks speed and power in first grade. Still young but i think Blair and Hiku are in front of him.

. . . Someone at the club keeps promoting him and we shake our head! He didn't make the Junior Kangaroos last year as he's is not up with the Big Guys now, to light and not tough enough for 1sts. He is not a speedster, has a gangling light frame and always has . . .
You don't seem to have much faith in our club's ability to identify footy talent.

Gutherson is only 19, he plays fullback centre and wing, he is 190 cm, he played for NSW under-20s last year as an 18 year-old ...

He didn't make the Junior Kangeroos last year as I am hearing he is to light and is not tough enough. He was great during the Juniors Days but now most of the boys back then are now getting bigger, stronger and faster. Gutho has had the same build since he was a 13 year old, its hard for him to put muscle on his wiry lanky frame, the big backs will just palm him or smash him when their running full speed at him.

Just as well a certain G Toovey never listened to people like you who think you need to be a giant to be a good defender. Come to think of it a certain S Menzies is another classic defender I can think of who isn't beefy.
Sometimes footy nous and other qualities are more important than kilos. Otherwise let's just go and sign Jaryd Hickey.

I never said you had to be big to be a good defender, but it is an advantage If you have big opposition running at you. Toovey was in a class of his own. IMO The best half back that has ever played and the Toughest as well being low to the ground he could spring up and hit hard. Menzies is an Immortal IMO, And he was strong and solid when he was a youngster playing for the Devils, your talking about the greats here Mate, most of the NRL Players running around would never beat Menzies record of 349 first-grade games and playing career in Australia with 180 tries - ! Lol

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Eagle Rock said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Eagle Rock said:
KaZa said:

I never said you had to be big to be a good defender, but it is an advantage If you have big opposition running at you, why do you think most of the NRL Clubs have half their teams or more with Polynesian Boys for ??? Not to run the BBQs, but they are Big, Fast and Tough and its hard to tackle them ! Toovey was in a class of his own. IMO The best half back that has ever played and the Toughest as well being low to the ground he could spring up and hit hard. Menzies is an Immortal IMO, And he was strong and solid when he was a youngster playing for the Devils, your talking about the greats here Mate, most of the NRL Players running around would never beat Menzies record of 349 first-grade games and playing career in Australia with 180 tries - ! Lol

Steve Matai said:
Re: Gutherson, alot of people said Snake was too small too....
The Snake at 19 years of age in 2004 became our number one fullback due to his lightning pace and impeccable last line of defence . The snake at 19 years of age was sensational. We all want Gutherson to succeed at NRL level but at 19 years of age the only comparison to snake is being small and not sensational

KaZa said:

Yeah i agree. He doesn't use his body in defense (jersey grabber) and he still seems fairly timid. I would have liked to have seen him stand out a bit more than what he did but it wasn't the case. Maybe with a bit more size confidence will come.

What I like is we seem to have a few options. Hiku would walk into any other team in the NRL, and then you have Blair (my next pick) and then Gutherson for the future (hopefully)

Eagle Rock said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Eagle Rock said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Eagle Rock said:

I never said you had to be big to be a good defender, but it is an advantage If you have big opposition running at you, why do you think most of the NRL Clubs have half their teams or more with Polynesian Boys for ??? Not to run the BBQs, but they are Big, Fast and Tough and its hard to tackle them ! Toovey was in a class of his own. IMO The best half back that has ever played and the Toughest as well being low to the ground he could spring up and hit hard. Menzies is an Immortal IMO, And he was strong and solid when he was a youngster playing for the Devils, your talking about the greats here Mate, most of the NRL Players running around would never beat Menzies record of 349 first-grade games and playing career in Australia with 180 tries - ! Lol

What a load of ****.

Look at the Australian backline in the World Cup. Billy Slater, Brett Morris, Jarryd Hayne, Greg Inglis and Darius Boyd. Apart from Inglis I dont see any massive "Polynesian types" and they all seemed to handle their opposition with ease.

clontaago said:
Eagle Rock said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Eagle Rock said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

What a load of ....

Look at the Australian backline in the World Cup. Billy Slater, Brett Morris, Jarryd Hayne, Greg Inglis and Darius Boyd. Apart from Inglis I dont see any massive "Polynesian types" and they all seemed to handle their opposition with ease.

Jarryd Hayne ( 105kg ), Inglis (106 kg ) They are all Proven Champions in the elite club.

Eagle Rock said:
Disco said:
People are so quick to give up.

Guthersons only problem is that he has been hyped for 3 years so people expect him to walk in and be Greg Inglis.

He is 19 and developing, he had 43 takle breaks in 13 holden cup games last year and in his one first grade game he looked like he had played 50 plus games

Mark my words, Gutherson will play considerably more first grade at Manly than Blair will

My money is on Blair and Hiku over Gutho Sorry. Gutho is too light and Over Rated. Now in 1sts he will get smashed and not fast enough. Would not play him on the wing, even his first grade debut game he was out of position and missed the try in the corner as he came in, he is not a winger. He has also missed quite a few crucial tackles in the 20s last year, which has resulted in tries. A lot of the Heads at Manly saying the same

Lots of Gutherson doubters in this thread, anyone changing there tune???

Gotta say, I never tire of being right ;)

Disco said:
Mark my words, Gutherson will play considerably more first grade at Manly than Blair will

Disco said:
Gotta say, I never tire of being right ;)

Not quite there yet.

Cheyse Blair - 4 games
Gutherson - 3 games.

I think he looks like a good prospect, but he did miss the tackle on Naufalauma in the first half that led to the disollowed try. It was not great first up contact, but he will come along nicely I think.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4