Cheating the Salary Cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Vyssini said:
Stevo said:
I get it mate. You still haven't explained why both clubs should have to fit a whole salary under their cap if they only benefit from the player for a portion of the year.

Yes I have- irrespective of the reason why a player is let go, the selling club should not be given any salary cap reduction. You have $4.4 million per year- use the f...ing money wisely. If you want to save on player wages by offloading in the middle of the year, great, but no salary cap discount- you have blown your load!

On the other hand, the buying club may only be actually paying for half or a third or whatever the lower amount is, but they are getting a player who is obviously worth more for the full year- effectively I am suggesting that in these instances, the NRL incorporate a combination of actual payments and player values to better reflect the player's salary cap worth- similar to what it did with the Ben Kennedy $1 contract example given earlier in this thread.

If they selling club isn't going to get any salary cap relief from off loading players then why do it? Its the only reason why a club would entertain a midseason transfer otherwise all your doing is strengthening your opposition, there has to be some benefit for the selling club and that is cap relief. Makes absolute sense to me.

Masked Eagle said:
Vyssini said:
Stevo said:
I get it mate. You still haven't explained why both clubs should have to fit a whole salary under their cap if they only benefit from the player for a portion of the year.

Yes I have- irrespective of the reason why a player is let go, the selling club should not be given any salary cap reduction. You have $4.4 million per year- use the f...ing money wisely. If you want to save on player wages by offloading in the middle of the year, great, but no salary cap discount- you have blown your load!

On the other hand, the buying club may only be actually paying for half or a third or whatever the lower amount is, but they are getting a player who is obviously worth more for the full year- effectively I am suggesting that in these instances, the NRL incorporate a combination of actual payments and player values to better reflect the player's salary cap worth- similar to what it did with the Ben Kennedy $1 contract example given earlier in this thread.

If they selling club isn't going to get any salary cap relief from off loading players then why do it? Its the only reason why a club would entertain a midseason transfer otherwise all your doing is strengthening your opposition, there has to be some benefit for the selling club and that is cap relief. Makes absolute sense to me.

To save money- especially a team towards the bottom of the latter with realistically no chance of making the eight could chose to offload players it doesn't want to keep. I still don't believe that they should also be given cap relief as well.

How many players would they offload and how many teams would be willing or able to take them.

You're talking about a hypothetical that would not be allowed to happen.

Vyssini said:
Masked Eagle said:
Vyssini said:
Stevo said:

To save money- especially a team towards the bottom of the latter with realistically no chance of making the eight could chose to offload players it doesn't want to keep. I still don't believe that they should also be given cap relief as well.

Disagree. This is part of the wheeling and dealing in pro sport. Teams should be able to get cap relief for such things because letting a player go usually means someone else getting an opportunity which could cause them to get paid more potentially sending a team over the cap, whether they be already in the team or someone they've picked up mid season as well.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6