chants from the hill

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

tugga8

Let me start by saying that I admire the passion that the supporters on the hill that lead chants have for Manly have. I read this forum a lot and your love for Manly and it's players is very evident. However, I must say that singing a chant that labels an opposition player a pedophile completely wrong. My dislike for Billy Slater is just as strong as many of you, but I would never call anyone that. This angers me the same way as when opposition supporters call Brett a rapist. I am sure you would react strongly if someone suggested you were a pedophile, I know I would as I consider this about the lowest thing someone could think of anyone. Surely the "brainstrust" could come up with something as humorous, yet less offensive?

I sit on the hill every match and have never heard such a chant. I agree that if it did occur it is unacceptable.
The only 'new' chant I heard on Friday night was 'Cheat' which got plenty of smirks - and was mentioned in the press by a Melbourne player/official in comments about Fortress Brookvale.

I love the song and hate slater

but i feel that after what he did on Friday when Wolf got hurt we should either retire the song or hand it over to adam blair :)

For anyone that doesnt know its not an original song it has been stolen from Liverpool fans who sung it about Bobby Charlton.

If there is a such a song then I agree it is totally wrong and in poor taste

I've heard the chant, don't chant it myself, but I'm not going to be a part of chant police. The hill is for passion, and probably a bit of stupidity, and if a chant upsets anyone they can move. Dan, I'm sure Gallop wouldn't approve of it either.

I have no problems directing chants at specific players, that is the point but to call them a pedophile is not justifiable in any way shape or form

DSM5 said:
Dan, I'm sure Gallop wouldn't approve of it either.

There's only ONE David Gallop...... there's only ONE David Gallop
With a packet of sweets and a cheeky smile
Gallop is a f ....... Crocodile.

Doesn't really work.

Theres little kids starving in affrica mate, if you really need something to get on your soap box about I suggest a more worthwhile cause.

If you dont want sledging at football, perhaps find another hobby.

Im a bit sick and tired of constantly reading threads on here about 'behavior and etiquette'. Seriously since when has it concerned so many people this much???

bones said:
DSM5 said:
Dan, I'm sure Gallop wouldn't approve of it either.

There's only ONE David Gallop...... there's only ONE David Gallop
With a packet of sweets and a cheeky smile
Gallop is a f ....... Crocodile.

Doesn't really work.

When my daughter heard the chant (and she loves them),she asked what the words were,and "crocodile" was the word I told her.Similar to other chants,she can't hear them properly with all the noise,so she gets a watered down version.

I am all for chants and particularly like many directed at players. I just equate calling someone a pedophile with spitting in someones face. It is something you just don't do.

Isn't the whole point of songs aimed at opposing players to be verbally spitting in their face?
The more offensive the better.
I know how I feel when people call Brett a rapist. I want to rip their head off & show it to their families. If I can make just one opposing fan feel this type of anger, my day is a better one.

Yeah how dare those guys on the hill sing songs as a joke, they should be super cereal about football like everyone else. I'm sure that Billy would pass it off as nothing more than a bit of a sledge, it's no big deal & it's pretty obvious that it's a joke. People need to loosen up.

On a brighter note, the Tony Williams chant was going strong after both his tries. T-Rex mosh FTW.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4