Ch 9 has gone crazy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
As soon as the 1 billion dollar deal was inked we had Gyngell spruiking on about how they just bought the game and can do what they want with it.

Seemingly lost on the actual situation that they had in fact just bought the rights to broadcast the game didn't change a thing.

Additionally these geniuses went broke a few weeks later and had to sell to their creditors to remain afloat.

Now, fresh from regaining the cricket rights, Ch 9 executives want to have a say in the selections of the Aussie cricket team!!

These guys are seriously f.u.b.a.r.

Channel Nine says $450m deal gives it a voice at selection table

NINE Network executives claim they will have an input in Australian cricket team selection policies and scheduling under the company's new $450 million broadcast deal.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/cricket/channel-nine-says-450m-deal-gives-it-a-voice-at-selection-table/story-e6frg7rx-1226666530274

edit: CA says that this wont happen and I understand as a spectator wanting to see the biggest and best players, but our trophy cabinet is bare and our fast bowlers drop like flies. The important thing is...ch nein blows!

Channel 9 are a bunch of you know whats. I hop CA keep standing up to them. NRL should of done the same.

Both the NRL and Cricket monies derived from Nine will be at risk over the coming years and there is a fair to middlin chance the network has overpaid/overextended itself.

This sort of thing will become more common as they try to recoup their investment.

I thought that Indian television rights were the biggest income stream for CA- maybe the Indian Cricket Board can pick our team...and lend us a couple of batsmen...

Read about this and almost lost my coffee down my shirt with laughter. Channel 9 is obviously run by the Keystone Cops. Talk about one of the most idiotic requests of all time. Someone needs to get hold of this arrogant Channel 9 leadership and give them a few Joel Garner or Jeff Thompson bouncers to the head. Get real Channel 9. You're a TV station. Next we'll have your tea lady wanting a say or even worse, Micky Arthur....oh dear he does have a say doesnt he.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Completely understand that they want the best product, but this is just becoming madness that they actually want a say in selection. It's a slippery slope from that to manipulating the games/schedules to get the best possible ratings.

By "SAY" they mean getting the best team on the pitch more often and dropping the rotation policy as this is who the fans want to see.

Would our crowds drop if we were to rest Lyon, Foran and Choc for a couple of games?

Fluffy said:
By "SAY" they mean getting the best team on the pitch more often and dropping the rotation policy as this is who the fans want to see.

Would our crowds drop if we were to rest Lyon, Foran and Choc for a couple of games?

Not the point IMO. The game decides who plays and who doesn't. Not the broadcaster. They paid for the broadcasting rights knowing full well how team selections are made. They should have made an offer based on that. It wouldn't be the first time a broadcaster has paid "overs" for broadcasting rights.

If people have a beef with CA selection policy they should take it up with them. Channel 9 should simply mind their own business.

If I paid that much for something I would be trying to influence things as much as I could. It's up to CA to say no, I don't blame 9.

If ch9 wanted a say in team selection why didn't they get a clause added to the contract before it was signed and settled. Crazy to sign a contract and then think you can make changes to it just because you are the party splashing the cash

Agreed they would lose plenty of viewers, when certain players get rotated. Basically CA have little idea anyhow and the state of Aussie cricket is a shambles, so I guess 9 need to protect there investment.

Fluffy said:

These are the same imbeciles that are whinging about the set draw and getting a bum deal on the matches THEY selected for Friday and Sunday free to air coverage.

How were they to know Manly vs Storm would be the match of the round a month back.

The suggestion would make cricket as credible as World Championship Wrestling.

On the other hand, on recent efforts channel nine selecting the team couldn't be any worse than what CA selectors have done. And be honest, wouldn't YOU love to see how Waterhouse's waxed-on smile goes when facing those new-ball bouncers?

Well since reading some of these posts channel 9 will now be the sole selector for the team then we the fans will now get to choose the team.

Think about it, vote in your cricket team, 1 person who picks the final team will be drawn to win $10,000. Only costs $5 for an sms. Channel 9 will make their money back and the selection of the cricket team will improve. Win/Win.

Rex said:
The suggestion would make cricket as credible as World Championship Wrestling.

On the other hand, on recent efforts channel nine selecting the team couldn't be any worse than what CA selectors have done. And be honest, wouldn't YOU love to see how Waterhouse's waxed-on smile goes when facing those new-ball bouncers?
WCW has folded,with ratings falling towards WWF (now known as WWE) they in one night committed suicide,firstly they they gave a spoiler telling viewers that Mick Foley (as Mankind ) has won the world heavyweight championship and then traded their heavyweight belt by Hogan using a move called the finger poke of doom on Kevin Nash (who kayfabe took a dive) to win,from there WCW fell over faster than Josh Reynolds

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8