CEOs: Let's change jersey numbers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I like the idea, I might be in the minority but I for one would have liked being able to retire a jersey when the great Beaver left us and never ever seing someone run out in a sea eagles stripe with the same number on their back. A great way to say thank you to a real great of the club.

It adds something to the game, albiet a small thing and sure it might fly in the face of tradition but so does two refs, the 10 metre rule, golden point, 6 tackles 8 interchanges, half the teams in the comp and not having pepsi on the front of the jersey. Things change - move on.

And while we are at it put the players name on the jersey too, make it easy for us plebs who cant tell the difference between the 85 different second rate park footballers cronulla will run out this year alone.

I can see what's going to happen - a young fan forks out 150 bucks to get their favourite players jersey and then because of the salary cap in place this player leaves the club to chase better $$ at another club.  So now then fan is left with a worthless jersey that just gathers dust in the cupboard.

All these other sports that have individual player jersey numbers do not have a salary cap so until we remove this or somehow give greater incentives for players to remain at one club then we should stick with the current numbering.

Rodo link said:
I can see what's going to happen - a young fan forks out 150 bucks to get their favourite players jersey and then because of the salary cap in place this player leaves the club to chase better $$ at another club.  So now then fan is left with a worthless jersey that just gathers dust in the cupboard.

All these other sports that have individual player jersey numbers do not have a salary cap so until we remove this or somehow give greater incentives for players to remain at one club then we should stick with the current numbering.

While other codes don't have salary caps they still have player movement equal if not greater then the NRL, look at UK football clubs for instance, and the AFL has the draft. Its not about the players that move - its about the players who stay, such as Beaver.

Rusty link said:
I like the idea, I might be in the minority but I for one would have liked being able to retire a jersey when the great Beaver left us and never ever seeing someone run out in a sea eagles stripe with the same number on their back. A great way to say thank you to a real great of the club.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read this article. I agree in the grand scheme of things it is a fairly insignificant point being discussed when there are far more pressing issues in the game.

But, how awesome would it have been to be able to retire Beaver's number and have his jersey framed and on the wall at the leagues club as a tribute to a sensational player?

I support the idea. Although things may begin to get ridiculous in a few years when numbers up to and including 99 have all been taken. That's a long way off though.

I seem to recall many many moons ago Marcus Bai (remember him, wonder how much he got paid above the cap? lol) ran out in jersey 55 after coming back from injury as he had some weird superstition about using any number other than 5. I don't recall too much of a kerfuffle about it at the time.

I am sure that a new player coming into the side taking over the number of a great would be even more inspired to prove themselves worthy of wearing the number as well.

Am not a fan of changing it at all

The fans can "idetnify" with a player now under the current system so that is a moot point for me. The superstars of the game wear the same number every week anyway, so if you put a 1 on the back of your jersey everyone knows you are a Stewart, Slater, Hayne, Dugan fan etc

If there is really a need to change things, maybe look at the Super League way of doing things, where they name their top starting 13, and they keep the traditional numbers, then every past that has a squad number, and those are kept for the season

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4