Case for defence: Manly the real deal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Case for defence: Manly the real deal

If defence does win premierships, and there is little evidence to suggest it doesn't, it's impossible not to consider Manly one of the real contenders. After five rounds, they have the competition's best defence, having conceded an average of a try a match.

Read the full article

We have conceded 36 pts in 5 matches just 7.2 per game. That's gotta breed confidence in the guys especially when we are averaging over 22 points.

Our defence, especially on our line, is very good. To concede only 6 points in our last two games, shows how much we've worked this season on it. Keep up the good work boys.

Andy1972
Manly Forever.

The best part is that the attitude becomes infectious. No reason this won't continue.

posted this is this thread, but copying here as its about defense. This article could have detailed more that the press conference though. Anyway I will detail more :)

http://forums.silvertails.net/Thread-The-Root-of-a-Successful-Manly-Coach?action=lastpost

If you type in google "best rugby league defensive record in history" the first result is Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, but interestingly not because of a direct match of the search term.....its as if google is an artificial intelligence and just knows the right answer for that search term.

In any case the best defensive consistency I have ever witnessed was the Toovey-captained, Fulton-coached side of the mid-90's...they were unbelievable as many will recall. I remember one night game in a top of the table clash in the wet they withstood about 8 sets on their line, dropout after dropout and the attack couldn't penetrate. I recall thinking at that game that I was witnessing a extremely rare occurrence whereby a team is working beyond their individual talent limit; like an attacking nest of ants the eagles seemed to become a united army that lifted above the merits of the individuals to create an impenetrable wall. I feel that Tooves is recalling this strength of that 90's team and coaching it into today's team....for sure. Now for those that remember nights like the example here, the one man that stood as a inspirational strength during those goal-line onslaughts was tooves...throwing his body into big man after big man allowing his forwards to do finish off the attackers. It was not Hasler that I remember as purely inspirational in those times, sure, he was an amazing athlete and worked just as hard as tooves, but tooves was their all game and would scream at his troops to keep going and never relent. He was the king ant that never let the troops to allow doubt to creep into their minds. Tackle after tackle after tackle tooves would never relent. Well now it is 2013, and tooves is screaming at his troops never to relent, and whilst Dessie does a great job of bringing the best out of the dogs, there is one man that oozes inspiration....and that tooves!

And we know that defense wins premierships, defense creates attack, just as last night shows the relentless intimidation of being picked up and driven back by Manly increases that drop-ball of our opponents. The media says Canterbury were sloppy last night but no, I say Manly's defense is creating those drops balls. And tooves knows that and he coach's it....all week long.

So bring it on..... 2013 the year of Eagle Wall. Tooves has had these guys for little over a year and now his mark is appearing in the players as they channel tooves' amazingly inspirational never relent attitude!

So yes, Tooves is well and truly tapping into that great Manly river of coaching excellence.

The main thing that has me very optimistic that we are a top contender to win it all is our Defense!!! I've been really impressed with it and believe if we can sustain this level if not improve it more ,we have a very probable chance to be the last team standing. While our attack is still work in progress our D can always keep us in contests and help us win games. Defense wins titles and it's a known fact. Once we can get our attack fully firing and more consistent we will be very scary. What makes us so dangerous on attack is our ability to punish our oppostion on both the left and right sides. Gifty returning will really impove this. I also love the fact that the majority of our team has premiership winning experience and understand what's required to win it all. If we can dodge the injury bug we have all the tools to get it done.

Got to give credit to Taufua for working on his ability to field kicks. Last year putting a kick to Taufua would have been a likely way for the other team to score. This year he has shown massive improvement and is now the complete package.

He needs to keep this up as teams will try to kick for points when they can't break us.

Jax24, Injuries are always a worry but I think we have that covered. Our judicious recruitment has ensured that replacements are up to first grade standard. I love the fact that we have got a bag full of hungry guys with talent and toughness. Great stuff from our recruitment staff.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4