Career planning - DCE & Foz

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
I really don't get the, "we can keep one, but not both" line of thinking.

What we have is the best modern day halves pairing that will soon captain their countries against each other. It's just madness when I read on this site, that some of you are playing favourites, arguing why we should keep one over the other. Pretty simple, by my way of thinking, that we just need to plan life long careers for both of them at Manly.

Offer both of them co-captaincy starting in 2015.

Pay them $500K a year, for 5 years out of the cap. Max Delmege or another benefactor can pay them an additional $500K a year which gives both players the million dollar annual deals they deserve. That also gives them and the team plenty of salary cap space to have the ability to keep buying and retaining good talent.

Sign both of them now to 5 year deals when they both retire as assistant coaches.

One of them can go on to become our first grade coach, the other can be employed, trained and groomed to be a future CEO.

I've seen a lot posted about these third party deals but as far as I know, third party deals still fall under the salary cap, do they not?

So even if the club pays them $1 and some rich guy...say Dan pays them 2.5 million each, that's still 5 million and 2 dollars on 2 players.

Unless the rule has changed, then (legal) 3rd party payments still fall under the cap.

idontknow.gif

To start with, I doubt that Max has that sort of money to throw around these days, and even if he did, I doubt that he would help out the Penns.
Third party agreements DO NOT come under the cap, however , a club sponsor cannot agree to a TPA, it has to be at arms length to the club and also the player has to be doing something to earn that TPA.
The Broncos were bitching last year because they had so many sponsors that it decreased their opportunities for TPA, go figure.

Third party deals ARE part of the cap if the club negotiates them as part of a players contract. It doesn't matter who pays the wages, if it's in the players contract with the club it's counted in the cap. A lot of people misunderstand this concept including some journalists.

Unless the rules have changed again, my understanding is that players can have earnings outside the cap in 2 main areas;

1. Limited Marquee Allowance – limited to $600k (total)….from CLUB Sponsors. This spreads very thinly across your top players.
2. Unlimited 3rd Party Payments ….from CORPORATE sponsors…. not associated with the club… and not negotiated by the club.

I would have thought that Joe Kelly and the Penn family connections would certainly leverage the latter. Both cherry and foz would be seen as invaluable in any of the top ASX marketing departments (product launches, events, breakfasts, lunches etc). This would have to be a key part of their career planning. The delicate point to ensure compliance on is that these arrangements are NOT associated with the club or negotiated by the club. I am sure Joe Kelly would be well acquainted with the rules here and would navigate very well so as to pass any cap audit.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4