Captains may get right to challenge refereeing calls

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
HANDING captains the right to challenge controversial refereeing calls is a step closer to reality, with a new NRL think-tank voting to closely review the proposal later this year.

Referees boss Bill Harrigan yesterday told The Daily Telegraph he's "not opposed" to the idea, but feels grey areas surrounding timing and match cohesion could prove problematic.

Along with Ricky Stuart, Ivan Cleary, Brian Smith, Trent Barrett and Andrew Ryan, Harrigan is part of the game's latest sub-committee that has been convened as a first port of call for possible rule changes.

Harrigan has spent most of this week with tennis umpires at the Australian Open, where he got a first-hand look at the Hawk Eye referral system.When asked if a similar challenge system was on the NRL agenda, Harrigan revealed it had been discussed at length within the sub-committee's first meeting late last year.

"We had a whole heap of ideas on the table, things like captains' challenges and shot clocks," he said. "Some of them were disregarded, but the captain's challenge was one we agreed was a priority to have a closer look at this year. Personally, I'm not opposed to it at all. From a referee's perspective, I've got no problems.

"But from a rugby league perspective, there are logistical issues that would need to be worked out.

"For one, I would not like to see it disrupt the flow of the game. Unlike tennis, we've got a flowing, running game. You need to work out limits as to when it could be called for. But if we can get it right, I'd have no problem."

The challenge call was first heralded in earnest almost two years ago, when former Manly CEO Graham Lowe urged its introduction after the Sea Eagles were sunk by a blatant forward pass against Parramatta.

After addressing umpires at the request of Tennis Australia before Christmas, Harrigan accepted an invitation to tour Melbourne Park for days two and three of this year's tournament.On top of watching matches from the video room, where Hawk Eye operates, he also took a keen interest in the way tennis umpires assess and rank the performance of lines-people.

"It's great to have cross-pollination and see what the two sports can teach one another," he said.

"They have a very sophisticated system of assessing lines-people, and I didn't realise they were ranked according to which line on the court they adjudicate."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/league-may-adopt-tennis-challenge-system/story-e6frfgbo-1226248815345

There would have to be a limit on the number of challenges that could be made otherwise the game would be slowed right down. I could see teams useing it to regroup when their line was under pressure. Good idea, with reservations.

Teams will use it as a strategy to break the Opposition's domination. Would be horrible to watch and lead to fights IMO.
instead,the Video Ref should be allowed to suggest a review prior to a Try being awarded.

They should also limit the number of replays a Video Ref can base his decion on,and no more cop out with the Refs Call verdict.

I think the game moves too fast for too much more interference. I mean if they aren't able to question things in a second then the play can move on 2 or 3 tackles. Are we going to allow things to be called back that far? Even a video ref isn't going to be able to make a suggestion of looking at something unless he has a couple of views at it.

It works in other sports, because of the stop start nature of their play but in league it will throw up more problems then it solves. They should put more emphasis on cleaning up some of the rules and making the grey areas a little more black and white.

I have been wanting to see this for a while.

As I see it, I think the rules should be something along the lines of:
- Challenges can only be made where a try is scored
- 2 challenges per game (but if you are correct that challenge does not count).

It is so frustrating when you see a try which is clearly not a try being awarded, the opposition blowing up and asking for the video and the ref stubbornly refusing to go upstairs.

The refs go to the video every second try anyway (often when it is not even controversial), so I can't really see that it would cause much delay at all.

I think the game needs it. The refereeing is the last frontier to making this game truly world class and professional. If we can't get it right with 3 refs (2 on field and one in the box) we need the ability to challenge.

The one problem we have is that the video ref is terrible, I like the idea, but they get so many decisions wrong. The classic one was Foran non try in the grand final, it looked like a try, smelled like a try, and only took a super slow-mo to make it look 50/50

We need ex-players in the box and we need a better standard for the referees.

It won't work until they change what a video ref can rule on. Most contention is caused by blatant forward passes (I still remember that howler against Parra in 2010 when they came from 20-nil down to win) yet the video ref can't rule on this.
Personally, I've always been against the video ref. It slows up the game, and usually leaves the fans who have paid to go to the game in limbo because the replays etc are not shown at the ground. The stupidity of the video ref is the restrictions placed on what they can rule upon.
To me, go back to the original system where the on-field refs adjudicate. Yes, they will make mistakes, but no more than we have with the video ref system.
And think of all the money saved by getting rid of these idiots.

Stupid Idea.

Turning the NRL into formula 1 again.

If your going to change a rule in Rugby League it's gotta be changed from the top all the way down to U6's - mind you that would be funny little Timmy throwing a challenge flag to get a play reviewed.

One of the only things Rugby Union gets right is the video ref. With the video ref (TMO) they have to show a reason to not award a try rather than make an outright decision.

I cant see why Rugby League cant do the same.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6