Canteen Worker

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
I was wonderring what your opinion was eleven rounds in? At the start of the year, I mentioned that I wanted Manly, and Manly's extended recruitment team to uncover the next BIG thing for us (not that that would be a NEGATIVE thing), like Crusher had done so well at Parramatta. That doesn't mean signing a top quality established player from another club on overs to attract him to the club. That means finding a Benji, Sonny Bill, Lyon, Sutton etc etc.
After the Cronulla match I think it was, where Burns and Matai both had extrodinary games, you posted a thread about the fact that I questioned the ability of Manly to UNCOVER the next big thing.
Do you still believe Matai, and Burns are the ilk of the players I have mentioned above, or do you think your thread was a reaction to short term success?
Crusher HAS bought us some great buys no doubt, but the buys are players in the twilight of their careers in my opinion, and only really add short term value like Ben Kennedy (Brent Kite the obvious exception) has.
The problem with short term player marketability, is that you build your team around a player that's only going to play for 1-2 years, then retire, leaving the club in a position to have to find someone ELSE to build the club around, and the re-building process seems to take a lot longer than hoped for.
If Crusher were to head off and follow his son to brighter (LoL) pastures, do you think that he added value in his tenure here at Manly?
I recall players like Walker, Kimmorley and co. (established older players) being bought over BEFORE Crusher was here.
Do you think lower grade positions on the table show the depth Crusher has bought to the club? I know this is a tad :blah: :blah: :blah: , but I'm honestly interested to see if your view has changed.

I've never worked in a canteen but i'll tell you what i think anyways!!

"Crusher HAS bought us some great buys no doubt, but the buys are players in the twilight of their careers in my opinion, and only really add short term value like Ben Kennedy (Brent Kite the obvious exception) has."

I'm pretty sure BK would be the only player that crusher has brought to the club that has only stayed for 1 - 2 years?? ... some players might come and then go if they sign somewhere else and you can't help that... but for the 1 - 2 years BK has been here i think he will leave us with years of good footy ahead of us. The players he has been playing with are regarded as the future of our club and if anything he has instilled a will to win into these players and taught them how to have a winning attitude and i think the club missed that before he got here!! So to say he is buying players that the club can base themselves around for only 1 - 2 years is off the mark.

As for how crusher is doing??

I think the general opinions on this thread will be much like mine in that we won't see what crusher has done for the club for another few years yet!!

If matai and burns are the indication of the future the club has i think we'll be fine!

Since Crushers arrival ALL the grades have shown marked improvement.

Hindmarsh type of players are not produced overnight, they are generally bought through all the junior grades and can take 5 years before they play 1st grade.

We do have some young talent running around in the junior grades, hopefully they can make the step up to NRL and be successfull.

Ryan, my guess is that Crusher read your post at the start of the year and thought " I'd better get off my bum and find a player or two because Ryan wants me to." Since then he has been flying around Australia in the hope of fulfilling your heart's desire. :lol:

Fact 1: We have team that recruits young players. Crusher is the main man obviously. He is not necessarily responsible for every signing and it is a group with the CEO, Coach and staff who would meet together to formulate strategy and decide on signings.

Fact 2: Stars like Lyon come around once in a blue moon. For every Lyon recruited there are many potential players who fall by the wayside. As they say you have to kiss a lot of toads to find your prince. A lot of these types are brought to Sydney at 15 and/or 18 and don't mature until their early 20s. Talk to those that know about football and there are a lot of very good players in the lower grades. Three years ago we were bottom in Matthews, Ball, Flegg and PL. Now we have done quite well in each comp, making semis in at least two if not three of those comps.

Fact 3: We don't have an unlimited budget or a junior drawing area like many of the other clubs. Some clubs sign every junior that moves in the hope that some will come good and to prevent anyone else getting near them.

One word for Ryan: PATIENCE!!!!!!

Rome wasn't built in a day.

I will also add that if you think that people like BK only add short term value YOU ARE DREAMING.

He is the sort of guy that will impact on players like Choc, Cuthbo and other young players and impact on the club for a generation.

Stars are very rarely discovered but rather made - meaning that players with talent have to be developed, matured and refined rather than just discovered. They have to have their heads right, have the determination and discipline to succedd and be prepared to wait.

What also needs to be considered is that how much more competition does Crusher have now than he did when he started at Parramatta. If I remember correctly he was a pioneer of the full time recruitment officer and Parramatta were lauded for their foresight in this area. I would think that with most if not all clubs now having full time recruitment/scouts the talent has been more thinly spread.

Hey CW what happend to that thread your misus put up? lol

Hmmmm.valid points Canteen. To be honest, I did re-watch the game against Melkbourne last night, and Burns / Matai were pretty dominant for 1st / 2nd year players.

I guess my concern stemmed from the fact that our best players (Beaver, Kennedy, Bell and Orford are all pretty old in footy terms), and I worry about our ability to sign YOUNG big guns.

You don't need any 'greats' to go well. What is needed is a team of solid go forward, no-dropsy, tackle hungry guys. Benji looks good because he's allowed to by stupid players rushing out of the line, thereby creating space for him or his offloads. Sutton is crap and is a premier leaguer in a **** team, The good ones ars the Kennedy, Civanaciva, Thorne, Bailey types who go forward, tackle, get up, go forward, tackle etc... Burns is in that mold typifies what's needed. Who brought him in?

Whilst we are on Juniors did anyone hear how Mark Offerdahl played on Wednesday in the under 19 game?

Benji looks good because he's allowed to by stupid players rushing out of the line, thereby creating space for him or his offloads. Sutton is crap and is a premier leaguer in a **** team

There's two of the stupidest statements ever.

[quote author=Utility Player]
Hey CW what happened to that thread your misus put up? lol
I deleted it. Obviously a gee up!!! Goooorrrrnnnnnnnnnneeeeeee!
[/quote]

Shall I move it back onto the site guys? :D :D :D

[quote author=Canteen Worker]
[quote author=Utility Player]
Hey CW what happened to that thread your misus put up? lol
I deleted it. Obviously a gee up!!! Goooorrrrnnnnnnnnnneeeeeee!
[/quote]

Shall I move it back onto the site guys? :D :D :D
[/quote]

No - I have sent my mum back to the psych hospital and she is back on her medication!!!! :blaugh:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4