Canberra team for Saturday

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Fluffy

Journey Man
Canberra Raiders halfback Michael Dobson will make his NRL debut on Saturday night, after he was named in the number seven for the season opener against Manly at Brookvale Oval.

Dobson joins fellow young gun William Zillman in the Raiders starting line-up, after the quick footed Zillman was named at fullback for the opening match.

Zillman said he is looking forward to his return to first grade, and is keen to make an impact in his return to the senior side.

"I’m very happy to be in first grade after a long pre-season and we’re already excited about this weekend and can’t wait," Zillman said. "I just want to get out there and play my best game and at the moment I think that’s running the ball, and getting the ball in my hands."

Zillman said that feeling of being involved is something he is ready for, but also said he is just glad to be in the starting side regardless of his position.

"I want to be around the ball all night and push up in support, and that’s the best way to get my hands on the ball and some room to move," he said. "I like the free range you get at fullback but it’s also good in the centres running a bit wider, and even the halves have their positives."

Raiders Coach Neil Henry said the doubt surrounding David Howell had led to Zillman’s naming at fullback, and said the young backline prospects form in the trials has warranted selection for round one.

"Around the fullback and centre spot with David Howell looking doubtful was the decision that had to be made," Henry said. "It gives us a chance to look at William at fullback as he has seemed very comfortable there, and Marshall Chalk has been very good in the centres for us."

Henry said the halves were also a tightly contested selection battle, but he was happy with the way things had panned out.

"Michael Dobson and Todd Carney trialed very well in the halves, and Andrew Dunemann adds some utility of the bench with his ability to play halfback and hooker," he said.

Raiders prop Michael Weyman was ruled out today after aggravating a quad injury at training yesterday, and will now look for a round three return.

CANBERRA RAIDERS V MANLY-WARRINGAH SEA-EAGLES
BROOKVALE OVAL, SATURDAY MARCH 17
KICKOFF 7.30pm

1. WILLIAM ZILLMAN
2. COLIN BEST
3. PHIL GRAHAM
4. MARSHALL CHALK
5. ADRIAN PURTELL
6. TODD CARNEY
7. MICHAEL DOBSON
8. TROY THOMPSON
9. LINCOLN WITHERS
10. DANE TILSE
11. GLEN TURNER
12. MATT BICKERSTAFF
13. ALAN TONGUE (c)

14. ANDREW DUNEMANN
15. NEVILLE COSTIGAN
16. JOSH MILLER
17. SCOTT LOGAN
18. BEN JONES

Big positives for Manly after seeing that side. No Weyman, no Learoyd Lars. Without those two their forward pack and bench doesn't look half as promising.

I've been worried about this game since the Raiders lost to the QLD Cup side, but those fears are gone - Manly by 3 tries.

NB - See "general Discussion" for all team line ups (only half at the time this was typed)

Don't want to clog up the footy forum with other teams line ups.. plus most VRL talk is in the "general" section so just a bit easier for everyone

Looks Like Zillmans the one.. anyone who picked up Karmicheal Hunt needs some rearranging.. he is halfback this year

wont matter, in fact its a bonus as he is more likely to get a playmakers try

its either forwards or backs, their exact position wont affect the scoring, ie if you pick a player at half back and he plays 5/8 then you still gets the points

Surprise surprise Michael Weyman is out injured already.

Best is useless and so is chalk. graham is a turnstyle in defence and dunneman must be 45.

if we can't neat this side by at least 12 ponts at home then we will struggle.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4