Can we beat Storm?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sounds simple but one reason Storm are so consistent is that they do all the basics, every time.
They hold their shape and width so the wingers are always ready if an overlap eventuates.
They run in numbers so its harder to gang tackle and slow their play the ball.
They move up in straight lines and do the cuddle dance with each tackle to slow the opponent's play the ball.
A combination of hard work to be in position and awareness/practice to be in position.
I reckon if a Storm player wasn't backing up a break Bellamy would send them back to reserves until they've learned to do it automatically.

It's possible that we beat them in a round game; sooner or later, you'd have to think the law of averages means they drop a game, but I just cannot see us beating them in a semi-final yet.

In the NRL era, there have been few, if any fairytales, and the new rules lessen the odds again. No side in the NRL era has ever won the competition from outside the top 4. I don't think you can drop 4 games to start the season, thrash some also-rans and win one game against quality opposition (Eels) and suddenly threaten Melbourne in a finals match. They are a seasoned football team.

I think it's going to be a build, not an overnight success story at Manly. The squad is looking stronger and some of our younger guys are getting much needed experience and Tom is in career best form. That bodes well for the next couple of years but we'll need to develop consistent quality performances and make the top 4 before I can see us being a premiership threat.

Just my opinion.

As of now I don't think we'd beat Storm.
By Round 21 I fully expect us to give them a run for their money.
By the time finals come round ... who knows?
Des does have a track record for building teams to hit their straps at the pointy end, so I remain hopeful that we could be witnessing one of Manly's greatest ever years!

(If not, too bad but there's always next year) :)

It's possible that we beat them in a round game; sooner or later, you'd have to think the law of averages means they drop a game, but I just cannot see us beating them in a semi-final yet.

In the NRL era, there have been few, if any fairytales, and the new rules lessen the odds again. No side in the NRL era has ever won the competition from outside the top 4. I don't think you can drop 4 games to start the season, thrash some also-rans and win one game against quality opposition (Eels) and suddenly threaten Melbourne in a finals match. They are a seasoned football team.

I think it's going to be a build, not an overnight success story at Manly. The squad is looking stronger and some of our younger guys are getting much needed experience and Tom is in career best form. That bodes well for the next couple of years but we'll need to develop consistent quality performances and make the top 4 before I can see us being a premiership threat.

Just my opinion.

Agreed. The more finals games we play, the more experienced and more polished our performances will become, so we're not losing games like we did against Newcastle

Just my opinion.
Wouldn’t disagree with anything you’ve said, but we will be in the finals this year and that gives us an opportunity do something special.

Just because no one has won it from outside the 4 doesn’t mean it won’t happen and or that we can’t, we will be or should barring injuries be fielding our strongest side, our forwards are the key to doing a job on Melbourne, there is so many aspects of their game that have been perfected off the back of such a strong pack, I acknowledge that they are a long way ahead of us in terms of their overall game, but if we have our best side available, its football and anything can happen, they lose a couple through injury, the refs these days anything can happen, they have a off game (although not likely) we have a blinder ( let’s hope so) and everything gels aka 2008, but in reality if our engine room can stand up to theirs for 80 minutes we have the talent to put points on them and to beat them.

Like you said its possible, but I also believe it’s possible to get them in a semi or the GF, it’s never over until the fat lady signs and underdogs have got up plenty of times, we have to play and believe we can win the comp this year, that’s why we play, thats how things start and who knows. We were in Melbournes shoes in 95 but the dogs got us, so I hope that Des and the boys build that self belief and turn up on the day and the footy gods side with us, because it’s so possible, yes we are building nicely moving forward, but we have a very real opportunity this year, lets hope the lads want it as bad as I do and they just go out and do it, self belief is a very strong space to come from.

Manly with their best team on the park and with their head on the job I believe can compete with the Storm. I think the Sea Eagles are the only team that can, now that Penrith have lost their halves. They're machine like, but I think we have overall better play makers. Tight tussle I suspect

lets get through the next few weeks injury free and then worry about the Storm and Eels. We can beat both injury free. So lets just focus on this week and not get ahead of ourselves.
Yeah but the question needs to be asked they are the benchmark and imo souths and manly only teams that have a chance.

Edit and panfers with Nathan

Last edited:
Manly with their best team on the park and with their head on the job I believe can compete with the Storm. I think the Sea Eagles are the only team that can, now that Penrith have lost their halves. They're machine like, but I think we have overall better play makers. Tight tussle I suspect
It will come down to our defence. It is death by a thousand cuts with the Storm, they keep probing relentlessly until they create a chink and then expose it. We probably have more strike weapons with our best squad than anyone else they will face. I have no doubt we will cause their defence more trouble than other teams have.

I think we are about 12 points from the Storm. The reason I am saying that is that I don’t think we have kicked on yet from the Parramatta game which was our best this year so far, nor could we have given the unavailability and targeted resting of key players.

I think we can be capable of beating the Storm by years end if we start to develop further over the next 3 weeks with all troops back. If we can crush the Tigers, play the Storm close, and beat Parra on the fast track up there we are well on our way.

Really excited that Lawton will be ok and Aloiai is coming back. These guys are critical to tighten up the D and play mistake free football that will allow the backline to get hold of the ball and cause damage.

NYEagle

Bellache is resting three of his stars this week -- Finucane, Kaufisi and Munster -- in preparation for Melbourne's clash with The 'Riff in round 20. The following week against us another four Melbourne players are listed as becoming available for selection: Smoothy, Eisenhuth, Grant and Jacks...
One thing seems inevitable, The Storm will have almost a full roster to select from when we meet them.

Bellache is resting three of his stars this week -- Finucane, Kaufisi and Munster -- in preparation for Melbourne's clash with The 'Riff in round 20. The following week against us another four Melbourne players are listed as becoming available for selection: Smoothy, Eisenhuth, Grant and Jacks...
One thing seems inevitable, The Storm will have almost a full roster to select from when we meet them.
Will be exactly what we need. A good old finals audition between two full-strength (hopefully) sides. Still, two more games before that to grasp a proper judgement on whether we can actually have a chance to win that game. That game and the Parra game after, I'm hoping we are full strength for them. Will give us a debrief on what we need to work on and where we are at in terms of the finals picture. After those two games, I would start resting players equally throughout our last three regular seasons unless we are still a very good chance of top 4 and IF that top 4 position would be beneficial for us.

Based on tonights form against the Sharks, we are no hope of beating Melb.

Need a big step up in D intensity and go forward in the middle.
I agree whole heartedly. Storm are on another level to us and it scares the living s$$t out of me if they are switched on on Saturday night what they will do to a very weak D.

If we are not careful storm by 30 +

I just hope we put in better performance than this week.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4