Can this happen

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Nutzcraw

Bencher
I'm not sure if this has been done before but is there anyway we could maybe set up a petition or a poll maybe and send it to the NRL stating that majority of the general public prefer the day Grand Final.

Obviously, it's unlikely to change a hell of a lot but almost every single person I talk to or almost every post i read on a forum about it all want the grand final back on during the day.

Maybe, if we got like thousands of singatures or something and send it to the NRL something might happen???

Is this too much to ask??

Sadly a media company that runs a sport does what is best for the TV rather than for the sport.

News claim they get better ratings (and therefore advertising revenue) from the night, though I reckon that big groups together and kids/families etc probably don't register during the daytime, so the results are skewed.

I would also guess that interstate it is harder to get a live game in Prime time rather than on Sunday arvo.

Pizza sales are enormous when there's a night Grand Final.

We're a bit cut there's not a deciding Origin to be honest.

I dont care tbh, the game still goes for 80 minutes and I cant still have a beer at either time. Then you factor in the ratings of a night time GF and how much extra $$$ are generated through advertising I understand why it is of a night. Channel 9 put alot of money into the game and obviously want a return on their investment, I cant begrudge that.

Fact is that there is no live game in the afternoon at all anymore. We are completely out of the habit of watching afternoon games.

I don't see why a night game is such a big drama.

2pm games on Fox are live, or are you just talking about games on free to air?

I know some people say the kids dont get to see the game, if thats the case they must not see many games during the year as most are of a night time. They can stay up later for this one night!!!!

The biggest problem with the night GF is for states outside NSW.

We don't have the public holiday the day after, making it very hard to throw on a BBQ, watch the broadcast and sink a few beers.

Its not everones cup of tea to go to bed pissed at 11/12 and get up a 6 to go to work the next day.

I don't even get to do that anymore, flip.

You watch 2 teams that you don't go for (the last 9 years anyway) sober... and go to bed half an hour afterwards.

When, It was a day grand final.. you used to get everyone around for a BBQ.. start drinking, you'd have at least one mate over who had a team in the grand final so you'd cheer them on for him.. then afterwards continue drinking and have a great arvo/night.. everyone heads off at around 7ish and you wake up the enxt day a bit seedy but all in all not too bad and you've had a fantastic day.

I can't believe you don't think it's ****.

For the record.. I was too young to be drinking when they were day grandfinals.. i'm speaking on behalf of others.

You watch 2 teams that you don't go for (the last 9 years anyway) sober... and go to bed half an hour afterwards.

When, It was a day grand final.. you used to get everyone around for a BBQ.. start drinking, you'd have at least one mate over who had a team in the grand final so you'd cheer them on for him.. then afterwards continue drinking and have a great arvo/night.. everyone heads off at around 7ish and you wake up the enxt day a bit seedy but all in all not too bad and you've had a fantastic day.

I miss that. When I was a kid, every year it was BBQ day at our house to watch the Grand Final. Loved it.

[quote author=Nutzcraw]

I miss that. When I was a kid, every year it was BBQ day at our house to watch the Grand Final. Loved it.

[/quote]

I know.. it was one of the highlights of the year.

Sadly, I now go around to a mates place to watch the Gayfl final and it turns into a great day and the NRL grand final is spent at home with just the immediate family. We watch it then go to bed to get up for work the next day... hardly a way to celebrate the climax of a year of your favourite sport.

Yeah, the AFL final seems like more of an 'event' doesn't it. Where as the NRL final is slapped at the end of a Sunday.

Yeah, it sucks.

The games tend to be better during the day too.. a nice dry track. Plenty of good football being played.

[quote author=Matabele]
I prefer watching a big game after the kids are in bed. No distractions and I can swear at the ref.

I can't get that emotionally invlolved when the game is on at night.
[/quote]
I figure you've got all day to brood and get in the mood.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4