Can Harper fight back ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

How fatherhood and footy have been the making of Manly centre Harper​

Adrian Proszenko

By Adrian Proszenko

September 16, 2021 — 7.30pm

Morgan Harper dreamed of playing in the NRL since he was a child, but the ambition was almost abandoned when he had children of his own.
Harper became a father of twins, Leo and Ryder, with childhood sweetheart Bailey at the age of just 17. However, pursuing one love meant, at least temporarily, he had to leave others behind.
Having just become a dad, he had to part with his young family, and his tiny hometown of Ngāruawāhia in New Zealand, to fulfil the Canterbury Bulldogs contract he signed when he was just 15.
This was the chance to realise an NRL dream that began at the age of four, when his father, Paul, installed football goalposts on the family property.

“He was out there all the time,” Paul Morgan recalled. “He was almost obsessed as a kid with the NRL.
“When he was eight or nine years old, we didn’t have pay TV so we couldn’t get the league live. So he would go to his grandparents on a Friday and wouldn’t come back until Sunday night when the games were over.
“That’s the reason I got Sky Sports, to get my son home.
“He would sit there cross-legged, arms folded in front of the TV like he was mesmerised by it. I kid you not, when he was 10 years old he could name every player in every team in the NRL.

“At one point, I thought it was an obsession to be worried about.”
But life at Belmore wasn’t initially all it was cracked up to be. For the first six months, he lived away from his partner, Bayley, and kids, with only the occasional trip back home to New Zealand to look forward to. The Junior Kiwis centre was working jobs laying cable and as a gardener to make ends meet, which he squeezed in around his footballing commitments.
And even when things were going well on the field – he was part of Canterbury’s premiership-winning 2018 NSW Cup side and was then named its captain the following season – he was unable to break into the first-grade squad.
Which is why, in those first six months in Australia before his father crossed the Tasman with Morgan’s partner and children in tow, he thought about chucking it all in.
It was a bit touch and go there,” Paul said.

On one of the occasions Harper came back to New Zealand to visit his family, he resolved not to return to the Bulldogs.
“I remember one weekend he was due to fly back to the Bulldogs where he didn’t want to go,” Harper’s mother Sonia said. “He refused to go to the airport. That’s when we sat down as a family and worked out ‘You’re pretty good at league, why not give it a go?’”
The Harper clan then hatched a plan; if it appeared Morgan could make a career out of football, the entire family would shift to Australia to support him. However, when that eventually happened, the Hamilton Boys’ High School product still struggled to get his break. Harper was signed to Canterbury by coach Des Hasler and recruiter Noel Cleal, but the pair were moved on from the club in 2017.
Replacement coach Dean Pay couldn’t find a spot for Harper in his first-grade side, so when Cleal and Hasler found themselves back at Manly, they eventually convinced Harper to join them.

The Ngaruawahia Panthers junior hasn’t looked back, becoming a mainstay of the Sea Eagles backline. Even after producing the worst performance of his career, in last weekend’s loss to Melbourne, Harper has retained his spot at the expense of explosive three-quarter Moses Suli.

Now a father of three – youngest child Inara May is one year old – his footy and family life has all come together. Yet for all of his success on the field, his parents are most proud of the role model he has become to his young family.
Paul added: “At one point he wanted to chuck it in and come back.

“But once Bailey and the boys got here, it changed everything for them.

“People may think it’s a burden having the kids and whatnot, but it was actually the opposite.

“That’s what gave him the drive and purpose. I honestly believe Bailey and the boys is one of the reasons he made it.”

Think he’ll bounce back.

He’ll need to as well as if he doesn’t I doubt he’ll be anything like he should be.

Mental demons can be very hard to overcome.

He has earned his money this year. Anything more is just cream from this point.

Comes across as an intelligent player who plays with a lot of heart. Whatever this year brings, he will only come back bigger, stronger, and smarter next year. Could Lionel be our next Stevie Matai? Without the shoulders, of course.

As it's the same theme, hope you don't mind me using this thread @maxta rather than starting a new one...

Admittedly it's only round 1 but wondering everyone's thoughts on Harper on Thursday. Firstly, what was the issue with Kikau about? It really put him off from the task at hand, no doubt intentionally.

It seemed to me Harper was rag-dolled all night and I wonder how he overcomes that, or was it a case of the forwards should've protected him more?

Didn't have any strapping (for a change) so it appears no injury. Does he need to get bulkier/put on weight or how does he regain the 2021 form when for the best part of season he played well?

As it's the same theme, hope you don't mind me using this thread @maxta rather than starting a new one...

Admittedly it's only round 1 but wondering everyone's thoughts on Harper on Thursday. Firstly, what was the issue with Kikau about? It really put him off from the task at hand, no doubt intentionally.

It seemed to me Harper was rag-dolled all night and I wonder how he overcomes that, or was it a case of the forwards should've protected him more?

Didn't have any strapping (for a change) so it appears no injury. Does he need to get bulkier/put on weight or how does he regain the 2021 form when for the best part of season he played well?
For mine he’s just not dynamic enough. Doesn’t possess the strength or speed. Sure he’s got some footy smarts but I’m just not sure if he’s top line enough to hold his spot over koula.

There was a lot of niggle between kikau ,new centre and Harper, I didn't see anything but they were in his face, the whole side was getting ragdolled and he didn't get any opportunities ,need to fix or middle before we go sacking centres and halfbacks

I was at the game and the sight of Kikau out wide was frightening. No wonder the dogs paid him $800k. I sighed relief when they went the other way but then Yeo would kill them down the middle.

I was at the game and the sight of Kikau out wide was frightening. No wonder the dogs paid him $800k. I sighed relief when they went the other way but then Yeo would kill them down the middle.

Yeah, Kikau seemed on a mission and how Yeo didn't get man of the match is beyond me.

I'm a believer in having either a winger or center on each side being an enforcer or having some bulk.
Parker and Garrick are ok as Parker is a big boy and can defend well, Garrick can hold his own.
The opposite side we have Saab and Harper both slight in build and certainly do not have big hits in them.
I would expect teams to continue to try to intimidate down that side.
Need a bigger body with some aggression on that side of the field.

Still can't see how Dylan Walkers is not a better (even if not perfect) option regardless if he's going.

Gives us more in attack and his defense improved last year playing in the forwards.

The guy who's played center for Australia or Morgan Harper, come on Des the decision isn't a hard one.

He had a fair patch last year but really I don’t think he’s that good. Kikau reacted to Harper roughing up the young Panthers centre. It wasn’t a case of Kikau going after Harper. I wouldn’t mind seeing Koula on his edge tbh. Sides will predictably target Tom all year now. The good teams will shut him down, crap ones won’t. I think Koula could be an attacking point of difference. He took sone hard runs off our line v raiders as well.

Still can't see how Dylan Walkers is not a better (even if not perfect) option regardless if he's going.

Gives us more in attack and his defense improved last year playing in the forwards.

The guy who's played center for Australia or Morgan Harper, come on Des the decision isn't a hard one.
I’ve never been the biggest Walker fan but I kind of agree. Koula, Walker, Tuipolotu all options on that side. Walker won’t happen tho. Koula may be a matter of time.

In the last 4 games, he's been physically dominated twice now by Olam and Kikau and that completely shuts his whole side of the attack and defense down.

Koula and Saab were great in the trial.

Also, Walker / Garrick were amazing when together as well

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8