Came from the clouds!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Not to rub it in, but ... Manly finished 11th last year.

10 years ago the Chooks won the grand final (not without controversy, admittedly) after finishing 13th the previous year.

However, aside from that aberration, recent premiers have done well over a period of several years leading up to their premiership victory.

In fact, for the last 6 years every single champion has finished either 1st or second the previous year!

(Panthers and Sharks getting smug now.)

You may think it’s only a fluke because Storm, Chooks and now Panthers just happened to have dominated recent years.

However, the trend is increasingly that battle-hardened sides win. Teams that have been making the finals consistently for several years, with players used to the grind and knockout pressure, and squads deep with that experience.

Manly in 2023 is not without finals experience, and certainly not without a hope. But a stats freak might say we need a strong year to set us up for a real chance in 2024, or 2025.

Significance of all this? Maybe none! Alternatively, though, it may mean selections get made with one eye on how we will look one or two years from now. For example, not rushing the likes of Gordie, Samuela, Myers. Building a solid, winning foundation this year, finishing around top 6 at least. Setting up one or two key recruits for next year.

Of course, if anyone could swoop from the clouds and pluck a premiership from nowhere it’d be a Sea Eagle! But… gamble responsibly 😊

10 years ago the Chooks won the grand final (not without controversy, admittedly) after finishing 13th the previous year.

However, aside from that aberration, recent premiers have done well over a period of several years leading up to their premiership victory.

In fact, for the last 6 years every single champion has finished either 1st or second the previous year!

You may think it’s only a fluke because Storm, Chooks and now Panthers just happened to have dominated recent years.

However, the trend is increasingly that battle-hardened sides win. Teams that have been making the finals consistently for several years, with players used to the grind and knockout pressure, and squads deep with that experience.

Manly in 2023 is not without finals experience, and certainly not without a hope. But a stats freak might say we need a strong year to set us up for a real chance in 2024, or 2025.

Significance of all this? Maybe none! Alternatively, though, it may mean selections get made with one eye on how we will look one or two years from now. For example, not rushing the likes of Gordie, Samuela, Myers. Building a solid, winning foundation this year, finishing around top 6 at least. Setting up one or two key recruits for next year.

Of course, if anyone could swoop from the clouds and pluck a premiership from nowhere it’d be a Sea Eagle! But… gamble responsibly 😊

But coaches, like politicians, don't always take the long view .. and in Seibs and Flannagan we have 2 blokes whose careers rest on quick results ... I think they will pick teams to win this week and bugger take next year or the one after.

Sure, that's always the fans aproach too. And it might work just fine. The stats though suggest building strength over time will give the most realisitc shot at winning the premiership, and also means you'll be strong and likely contenders for a number of years.
Eg Souths and Eels have played lots of finals recently. Pundits say the Eels have lost too many, maybe so, maybe Storm has also, but I wouldn't write 'em off just yet.
Possibly just something to keep in mind from a recruitment viewpoint too. A Nathan Brown type might (well maybe) have given some sort of quick fix but a longer term view says leave him alone?

Sure, that's always the fans aproach too. And it might work just fine. The stats though suggest building strength over time will give the most realisitc shot at winning the premiership, and also means you'll be strong and likely contenders for a number of years.
Eg Souths and Eels have played lots of finals recently. Pundits say the Eels have lost too many, maybe so, maybe Storm has also, but I wouldn't write 'em off just yet.
Possibly just something to keep in mind from a recruitment viewpoint too. A Nathan Brown type might (well maybe) have given some sort of quick fix but a longer term view says leave him alone?

Not saying your wrong in your assessment of what should be done .. but I think every coach has got his eyes firmly set on any KPI's in his contract ... and will probably act in his own best interests ... luckily, those and the clubs generally align ..

A great approach , I like it , a LOT!!

Yep. But when I took a look I was surprised how strong the trend is.
In the 5 years leading up to (not including) their premiership win, each year's eventual premiers have failed to make the 8...once (2022 premiers), once, zero, once, once, zero, twice, once, 3 times (Souths 2014), 3 times (Chooks 2013).

I would like to correct you my friend.
shayne Hayne won the 2013 premiership. Low dog he is and no i won't let it go :)

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4