Byso

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
I admit dude - I'm pretty gutted Monnas is leaving. Great player, and great person away from footy (according to media). He is deserving his $500k per season in the ESL, and should dominate over there.

I also take your point about Orford. He gets paid $50k more than Lockyer, and wasn't even selected for City / Country. As one of my favourite players, I sincerely hoppe he lifts, because he has been no where near as dominant as he was in Melbourne. I also question why Melbourne has been so dominant since he has left. That said, I'm sure he will start to kill it very, very soon.

I still say Monaghan may have played Origin if he remained in the NRL like I suggested in 2004, but as a 1/2 back. Hooker wise, he will always be known as a very solid player, with great diversity in my books.

I hope this now means we can focus on re-signing Travis Burns, Matt Ballin & co.

Cheers from me goes to Monaghan. :clap: :clap: :clap:

One thing I can say about Monas was he was basically our first signing when we started to rebuild the club. He came to us when no one else wanted and although he may not be the next geoff toovey he always gave 110% on the field.

Where we are today has a lot to do with Monas and the part he has played in going from the cellar to the 'penthouse'.

Good luck to Moans and the big bucks he will be earning, at least we won't have to play against him in the NRL and rue the fact that we let him go.

Get it out of your mouth ryan.

Monaghan turned his back on our club mid-way through a contract because he could not get what he wanted.

I support the team. Not the player. And he certainly isn't a team player.

One thing I can say about Monas was he was basically our first signing when we started to rebuild the club. He came to us when no one else wanted and although he may not be the next geoff toovey he always gave 110% on the field.

Where we are today has a lot to do with Monas and the part he has played in going from the cellar to the 'penthouse'.

Good luck to Moans and the big bucks he will be earning, at least we won't have to play against him in the NRL and rue the fact that we let him go.

I have been thinking the same thing Wheel. I didn't want to play against him either.

Glad it's over & glad he's seeing the year out.

This allows the on-field staff to concentrate on winning this years comp while the off-field staff can now concentrate on winning the next two or three years.

Good luck to Monnas, let's send him over there a winner.

Get it out of your mouth ryan.

Monaghan turned his back on our club mid-way through a contract because he could not get what he wanted.

I support the team. Not the player. And he certainly isn't a team player.

Flip. If one of your employers competitors phoned you directly, and said, we'll more than double your salary, give you the position you want, and have wanted for the past couple of years, as well as extending your employments term by 4X what it is presently, and you actually has the ability and means to be released from your existing position, would you do it?

I love Manly as much as anyone, but I'm sure this will secure Monnas and his families futures forever.

Your a pretty tough task master.

Do you feel the same about Lyon?

He was a big part in our climb back to the top and I am grateful.

He made some mistakes in 2005 and he has admitted that, time to move on. All the best to him next year and hopefully he continues to play good footy for the remander of this season for us.

I'm happy for the bloke, He deserves the cash he got. There is no doubt he's not the prettiest playmaker, but he's a proven match winner.

With all the crap he was dealt (within the club) he always did his best and produced higher than expected. That should be applauded in my books.

The main thing is he's finishing this season and cashing in after the last 2 season Manly tries to auction him off without realising the potential of the bloke.

In regards to The Ox I trully rate him but for people to berate Monas for $240k as opposed to The Ox getting $450- to $500k is laughable.

For $240k Monas has proven to be Good value.

I am pissed off at the way the announcement dragged on again. But nothing takes away from the guts and determination he shows and I am glad he will be part of our campaign this year. We are going to have injuries and he is a great back-up in at least 3 positions.

I still can't get over the money but #7 is crucial to any team.

You can't make a comparison between a workplace and a Football team.

:lol: :lol: I am sure I have seen you and Mata use workplace comparisons when talking of Monas salary compared to other peoples in the squad. Guess when it suits your arguement its ok.

I know if I was moved sideways in my job to be doing something I did not really enjoy I would be looking around as well.

We wanted him to go to free up cap and give Ballin ago, then when he does ask for a release you whinge about it. Its a win/win, nothing to complain about as far as im concerned.

Not me Garts.

You go into football knowing that if you don't play well enough you are going to demoted.

The difference being your only demoted by position on field. You still have the same income, same contract. You just don't get to play where you wanted to. That is the reason he wanted out and I think it's childish.

Do you feel the same about Lyon?

I don't know the full extent of Lyon's departure. If in fact he did leave after not gaining a compassionate week off while his wife miscarried than no I don't think its the same category.

If in fact he just upped and walked out that it is very dishonorable and falls under exactly the same category.

I never mix on field with off field though. And in those circumstances both players have been good.

Monaghan lost me when he went missing in action overseas and didn't show up to the Club presentation night. It said to me he was a loose cannon and not a team pleyer.

He has given on the paddock and been a good solid player but he isn't a Bozo or a Joey and he isn't the Messiah.

I don't wish him good riddance but I am not weeping buckets of tears either.

The 500k per year pay packet says it all, If somebody offered to more than double your pay packet would you not be tempted.

You can't tell me that Mona's manager did not have some expresions of interest before they asked for a release.

Monaghan did not receive offers before asking for his release. Its not like someone popped out of the blue and said, hey we'll double your wage.

He was already going.

We can't keep using the doubling of his wage as an excuse for him.

He wanted to play halfback and didn't get his own way so had a dummy spit and asked to leave his contract early.

Then he found out he could earn more.

Oh Flip, The club has tried to get rid of him 2 years in a row. The club also accepted his release this time, because they may of fealt they still couldn't afford him with the salary cap and other players they wanted to keep.

I honestly don't understand your argument. Its a win, win.

I was positive you were also on the salary bandwagon with Mata and making comparisons with workplaces, apologies if I was wrong.

Remember Monas was not wanted initially, Max re-signed him. It was rumoured we were trying to offload him, you dont think its possible we gave him a tap on the shoulder?

Or you here your boss is looking to get rid of you, do you hang around or keep your eye out for another job?

2 sides to every story, its very naive to think its all Monas doing wanting to get out.

If I was moved sideways (or worse) in my employment I would not be waiting for an invitation to the annual xmas party. I would have done exactly like MM did. I would have secured a new position and then resign.

Whilst it may not worry you Flip some people have pride in their position within an organisation and when you find that position has been eroded, for whatever the reason I would not be asking twice if I was still wanted.

You would appear to not the same issues with your employer and are happy to take the cash regardless. I obvioulsy live in a different professional enviroment than you.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2