Bulldogs' Hannant contracts swine flu

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Bulldogs' Hannant contracts swine flu
Updated: 21:39, Sunday June 7, 2009

Rugby League's State of Origin has been thrown into turmoil, with revelations that one of Queensland's star players has contracted swine flu.

A source close to the Maroons camp has told Sky News that Bulldogs prop Ben Hannant came down with the symptoms last week just after the first Origin game.

It's not known how he caught the flu, but it has obvious implications for the second game, due to be played in Sydney next week.

http://www.skynews.com.au/swineflu/article.aspx?id=339771

As a precaution the entire QLD 17 should be quarrentined and make to sit out game 2 and 3

He's the NRL player who most looks like a pig now that Riddel is overseas.  Fitting really.

Disco link said:
As a precaution the entire QLD 17 should be quarrentined and make to sit out game 2 and 3

i agree, though i have a feeling that with a second 17 they will still beat NSW.

The NRL have now forced Boyd and Harrison out of tonights game

Tbh, i find the whole thing a massive media beat up

Funnily enough - i have to go get checked tomorrow. I got sick on Saturday after spending the week in Melbourne and attending SOO.

Could do with a couple days off work

DVS Matt link said:
Funnily enough - i have to go get checked tomorrow. I got sick on Saturday after spending the week in Melbourne and attending SOO.

Could do with a couple days off work
Uh oh...might have to shut this forum down  :)

This is not good at all i think there's about six Bronco players who have been quarrentined as well let's hope it doesn't get out of control.

Here is a line up of the current quarantining of players:

BRISBANE
Origin players Darren Lockyer, Justin Hodges, Israel Folau, Karmichael Hunt, Sam Thaiday and Peter Wallace placed in quarantine. Lockyer admitted he had some flu-like symptoms. "We are just hoping it's a common flu,'' Lockyer said.

NORTH QUEENSLAND
Origin squad members Johnathan Thurston, Luke O'Donnell, Matt Scott, club coach Neil Henry, the Queensland assistant, and Maroons trainer Billy Johnstone in quarantine until Thursday. Henry and Johnstone have displayed cold symptoms, and have been swabbed. "Can I tell you it's far from a panic and far from a crisis, for us it's an inconvenience,'' Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr said.

BULLDOGS
Ben Hannant, who tested positive to swine flu on Sunday,
quarantined on the Gold Coast until at least Thursday. NSW trainer Tony Ayoub has been cleared.

GOLD COAST
Queensland forward Ashley Harrison withdrawn from last night's clash against St George Illawarra and sent home, as was Maroons assistant Trevor Gillmeister.

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA
Maroons' Darius Boyd withdrawn from last night's game.

SYDNEY ROOSTERS
Maroons forward Nate Myles, who roomed with Hannant during Origin camp, sent to hospital for tests, and has had some flu-like symptoms. Will be quarantined. Roosters doctor John Orchard said Myles was "not badly unwell".

PENRITH
Origin players Petero Civoniceva, Michael Jennings and Luke Lewis to be kept away from the club until Thursday. "It's precautionary at the moment,'' coach Matt Elliott said. "None of them have presented with any symptoms, but we don't want the whole crew coming down with it.''

STORM
Origin players Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis, Billy Slater and Dallas Johnston given until Wednesday off anyway. Toyota Cup assistant coach Adam O'Brien has been tested after
falling ill. His housemate, NRL player Matt Cross, has been quarantined in a Melbourne hotel. Entire under-20s squad has been quarantined awaiting O'Brien's results.

NEWCASTLE
Origin players Kurt Gidley and James McManus quarantined.

MANLY
Origin reps Jamie Lyon and Brent Kite avoided having to go into isolation because club officials ordered them to take the Tamiflu drug last Thursday.

WARRIORS
Queensland prop Steve Price and Blues trainer Craig Walker quarantined.

SOUTH SYDNEY
Origin players Michael Crocker and Craig Wing quarantined.

CRONULLA
Paul Gallen, who was ruled out of the first Origin but attended the game, and Blues assistant Shane Flanagan both quarantined until Wednesday.

Wouldn't it be messed up if Tamiflu contained some kind of steroid, any player who took some would get banned. 

News just in says that Hannant will play against the Boncos

Zep link said:
does that tamiflu stop the spread of the disease?

no - it just takes the edge of the symptoms (if any).

Tamiflu is only effective when taken within 24 hours of symptoms starting

eggson link said:
Wouldn't it be messed up if Tamiflu contained some kind of steroid, any player who took some would get banned. 

News just in says that Hannant will play against the Boncos

No steroids in it. I have abotu 15 packets in the cupboard at home.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2