Bulldogs deal bad news for Asotasi

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
By Stuart Honeysett and Brent Read
June 8, 2006

THE BULLDOGS are almost certain to lose New Zealand prop Roy Asotasi next season after utility Reni Maitua signed a new three-year deal with the club yesterday.

Maitua's decision now leaves the Belmore club with Asotasi, Nate Myles, Luke Patten and Willie Tonga as the only recognised first grade players unsigned for next season, and there was speculation yesterday Tonga was also close to staying put.

Patten and Myles are also believed to be weighing up offers while Asotasi's manager, Mark Rowan, has put terms to the Bulldogs.

Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad refused to concede they had lost Asotasi, but it is highly unlikely the club will retain him, given it already has representative forwards Willie Mason, Sonny Bill Williams, Mark O'Meley and Andrew Ryan on its books.

"We're doing our absolute best to keep all our players off contract but with the salary cap these days that's extremely difficult," Noad said.

Rowan will hold the latest round of contract talks with Bulldogs officials today.

"We put some terms to Canterbury and I don't think they're unfair," Rowan said.

"I'd like Roy to stay and Roy would like to stay. In the end it's going to be a decision Roy will have to make."

Maitua's deal caps a remarkable turnaround for the 24-year-old, following the club's decision to suspend contract talks with him in April after he was charged with high range drink-driving.

He was eventually fined $15,000 ($7500 of which was suspended) by the club and asked to attend an alcohol awareness program and to undergo community service.

It was the second time this season Maitua was dropped to reserve grade; he was also punished for turning up late to a training session in March.

"He's shown a very professional attitude off the field the last month, particularly in the way he's played," Noad said.

"He made a mistake and you've got to move on. We've done that and so has he. Once we started negotiations it didn't really take that long."

Maitua, who would have been a target for South Sydney after June 30, said in a statement issued by the club he was happy to have his future out of the way.

"I'm relieved the whole negotiation process is over and I can now concentrate on my performance on the field," Maitua said.

"I'm lucky to be playing with such a great bunch of guys, so I'm really happy to be staying at the Bulldogs."

The Australian

I wonder if Manly would be interested in Atsosi - I say he will end up in the UK though

Tough luck for the doggies now that they actually have a salary cap to work under.

Hopefully Manly are chasing nate Miles because he would be a good prop for us.

OMeley was never off contract, there was simply a rumour that he was not happy and may ask for a release blah blah blah, usual media beat up most likely.

I reckon Asotasi is one of the best props in the comp, I'd love to see him at Manly. He is only young and has plenty of improvement left in him. Hits the line hard and can off load. I'd rate him above King, Lui Lui, Bryant and Kite on current form. Asostasi sh*ts all over Nate Myles as well.

I was saying we should sign Nate Myles this time last year.

I bet the Bulldogs now wish they'd offered him more than 12 months. :lol:

Id like to get Roy but i think he might go to the titans

Id like to get Roy but i think he might go to the titans

RLW this week stated that "the gold coast titans are about to sign a forward and he is worth his weight in gold"

Read into that what u like

Miles is heaps better than Asostasi. He's rugged, goes forward and doesn't make the stupid mistakes that the big A makes. Miles would be very good for us.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4