Building for the Future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Now that Manly's short term financial future is assured it is time to start planning for our footballing future:

1. We have money to spend on the secondary salary cap and must invest in youth and fresh talent. The current SG Ball squad must be a high priority, especially those with 'rising star' on their CVs. What is vital is that the right coaches, managers and also club officals are assigned to this group and that mentoring/advising/role modelling is provided to ensure the right culture is developed but also that the young players don't go off the rails and have fame and stardom go to their heads. (It has been reported this is a problem with some of our youngsters - Manly is not alone in this either!)

2. We need to offload players who are not ever going to make first grade and replace them with players who will develop and grow. I was appalled that Manly PL did so poorly when they played Wynnum earlier this year - surely the team that is mid table in the Queensland Cup should be easy prey for an aspiring group of first grade footballers???

In our squad we need players who are first graders or potential first graders and if they are not - we need to replace them with players who will make the grade in the future.

Looking at the current squad on MSE here is what I would do:

To Retain: (in list order on MSE)

Ashley Alberts - hopefully to make his mark next year.
Travis Burns - potential
Kylie Leuluai - should watch Fui-Fui tapes to see the impact he could have.
Steve Matai
Paul Stephenson
Michael Witt - worth another shot
Matt Ballin - future star
Daniel Heckenberg
Brent Kite
Brett Stewart
Anthony Watmough
Mark Bryant
Kane Cleal
Adam Cuthbertson - future star
Shane Dunley
Chris Hicks
Ben Kennedy (C)
Steve Menzies
Glenn Stewart - must bulk up but future star in OJ Cunningham mould!
Luke Williamson

Not on the MSE list but I would keep Jared Taylor and of course add Orford, Bell to the list.

Of the current side these players I would let go (for various reasons) on current form or due to situation!

To release:
Mitch Creary - PL at best and had five years
Brad Dempsey - perpetually injured and hardly standing out with Belrose.
Sam Harris - Gorn!
Terry Hill- Gorn for Good
Michael Monaghan - Controversial omission but maybe after this year it would be best if he went. Could be hooker or PL half? (NOt a five eighth in my view)
Darren Peachey - too slow for first grade
Nathan Tutt - trier but nothing flash.
Jason King - the disappointment of 2005
JP Cherry - who?
Jim Curtis - solid PL but nothing more.
Scott Donald - Gorn
Nathan Hollingsworth - No 5 hooker in the club
Adam Luchetti - this star of the early Yarts never played a serious game for the club!!!
Phil Morwood - plodder
Chad Randall - gorn to England or the cat-walk, freeing up good money.
Mark Lennon - solid PL but destined never to play 1sts.
Jye Mullane - if he was considered any good he would have been given a run this year.
Jeff Robson - potential maybe but not fulfilled.

I am told that both Sean Meaney and Jordan Macey are worth keeping and my guess is that Milaangi Stiles is also a goer. The list on MSE is not up to date so there are probably other players not included in my list (which is a start). Karl Johnson is one example. I am not sure of his potential - need the contribution of PL/Flegg watchers to contribute to this thread!

The lists above do not change the top grade side significantly but it certainly changes the lower grade team. Over to you Crusher!!!

19 I think but clontaago could confirm

I think the plan is to just make a team in PL of players who have potential to play or will play first grade. And that is exactly how it should be. Why play half a team of nuffies, it is still suppossed to be reserve grade

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2