Buhrer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
I'm interested in the opinions of the more intelligent football brains. I've been trying to figure what is happening in our disappointing second halves of late. Tonight I thought to myself that the only difference between the first and second halves is the introduction of Jamie Buhrer, so I watched fairly carefully. I noticed he made many tackles but always with assistance. Then I noticed the Titans actually deliberately running at him. Then I realised our attacking structure wasn't as assured as it had been, not as smooth. Finally, I noticed when the score was looking a little dangerous, that Tooves brought Ballin back on to replace Buhrer. Thoughts?

In regards to the second halves, it comes back to completing the basics we are handing over the ball too much through silly errors, because we are trying to continue the scoring spree early in the second half when we have not earned it. The good i take from the second halves is that when the opposition get a roll on Manly know how to slow up the game to get across the line. Lastly, when manly lead at half time they very rarely lose.

Nate Myles summed it perfectly after the game when they asked him about Manlys chances this year.

He said something along the lines of at times Manly play so strong they dont even have to get out of second gear to get out of trouble. That is a big statement coming from a guy who is the one of the biggest workers in the comp.

The stage is set for a massive tilt at the title for our boys.

We didn't respect them in the second half tonight. We tried dinky little chip kicks (if we got to a kick at all) instead of driving them deep into their territory and throttling them as they came out. We just don't want to do the hard rind once we are up by 20+, air enough with finals looming.

It is a good opportunity to try these kind of things. If needed during the finals we can draw on this experience.

Toovey got it right at the press conference. All of the defence took it's toll on the boys and they were flat in the 2nd half.

There's nothing to see here

The dressing room camera at half time showed half the team laughing and joking around,even Toovs was having a laugh with one of his staff.In my opinion they knew they had the Defence to get the win and not show the other teams what they can do if fair dinkum for 80 minutes.

I don't think Jamie has anything to do with the sub-par 2nd halves. His energy and enthusiasm are a boost to the team and gives Ballin a much deserved rest. It has more to do with an overall drop in intensity after the high intensity starts they've been doing.

I think in semis you will see Ballin go back to 80mins probably giving him some rest before the finals. Im hoping Trex explodes in the finals and Toovey has him deliberately laid back recently, but more than likely Trex is just a lazy bugger. He never backs up after he makes a tackle or a run he constantly just stops as if to say "i did my part".

I think Buhrer is overutillized.
Hasn't anybody else noticed the amount of hospital passes & knee high passes this kid dishes up ?.

I think the poor second half theory is a bit overblown. Look at the last 6 games:
They came back against the warriors from 12 points down at half time to win.
They scored 3 second half tries and kept the Rabbits scoreless running into a strong wind.
They had the injuries in the newcastle game and leaked a few tries with the game already won.
They kept the Broncos tryless for 39 minutes of the second half - coming off a 5 day turnaround against a side with a 7 day turnaround.
The Titans ran in a couple of late tries when the game was over.
They are a smart team and know how to control matches - as DCE has said. I think the semi's will see the extra gear that Myles was talking about

sean1976 said:
They kept the Broncos tryless for 39 minutes of the second half - coming off a 5 day turnaround against a side with a 7 day turnaround.

Not quite correct sean. The Broncos try was scored after the full time siren had sounded. :)

My favourite Nate Myles quote after the weekend's game was this - "They're a brilliant side and you can just see them turn it on from nothing."

So true. When they need to they can really turn it on. I love it when they step up their defensive efforts and introduce the type of bruising defensive effort that they're capable of. You can't keep it up all game but give it to them for a few sets and they won't be so keen to hit the ball up the next time.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6