Bryant puts in bid

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Bryant puts in bid
ADAM LUCIUS
Manly Daily
12aug05

UNFASHIONABLE front-rower Mark Bryant will be playing for a new contract over the closing weeks of the season after making a surprise contribution to Manly's finals push.

The Sea Eagles purchased Bryant from Canberra at the end of last season as a back-up for their regular roster of props.

But given a chance through injury and suspension back in May, the no-frills forward has gone on to play 11 consecutive matches.

Now Manly have to decide if Bryant is worthy of a new deal and whether to make room for him under the salary cap.

``He was given a chance early in the season and has hardly put a foot wrong,'' coach Des Hasler said of Bryant. ``He has done everything asked of him and improves with each game.''

Bryant comes from Cootamundra where he played under Wests and Manly legend Les Boyd.

Boyd recommended the big prop to the Sea Eagles, who contacted Bryant while his holidaying in Vatican City during the last off- season.

``I knew I wouldn't walk straight into the side when I got here but all I was after was an opportunity and I've been given that,'' Bryant said. ``It's worked out well.''

Bryant is fighting it out with in-form back-rower Nathan Tutt for the final spot on the Manly bench for Sunday's massive clash with Newcastle at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

Hasler will delay a decision on his line- up until match day after taking his squad into camp in Newcastle tomorrow night.

The Sea Eagles are attempting to avoid the hype surrounding the match, which was sold out by Wednesday, but are expecting one of their toughest matches of the year.

Manly back-rower Ben Kennedy will make his first appearance at his old home ground since leaving the Knights and is preparing for a hostile reception.

Skipper Michael Monaghan has challenged his side to meet the benchmark set by Brisbane - the team the Sea Eagles beat last weekend.

``The good teams are the ones who turn up and play tough football every week, and come home with wins in those tough games,'' he said. ``What makes the Broncos so good is that every week you get a tough match out of them.

``That's the type of attitude and type of environment we need to develop here.

``If we can do that over the next four weeks and make sure we keep winning . . . we can hopefully make the top four.''

If Manly want to hit their "high standards" they'd do well for their most prominent prop to meet the team KPIs in the same manner Mr Bryant does.......

Now Manly have to decide if Bryant is worthy of a new deal and whether to make room for him under the salary cap.

Could someone interpret for me so a Monnasgate can be avoided:

Does this mean that a) he is worth a contract or, b) what should the contract be worth.

For mine he has shown enough to be offered a contract, we need front rowers and Bryant if nothing more at least gives it a red hot go when he is on the field. His naturally ability may be limited but I cannot ask more of a player than to give his best and Bryant does just that.

He's a solid player who give 100% and doesn't give away penalties; Manly needs this player to rely upon.

Pete - it would have to be your 'B', they must know by now whether they want him or not. Badly worded by the author IMO

Maybe instead Of Resigning Bryant they Are Gonna Upgrade Kings Contract :blaugh: :blaugh: :blaugh:

He played awesome last week. Lets keep him fighting for a contract every week, even if we have every intention to sign him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4