Brookie - the Penn vision

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/manly-sea-eagles/manly-sea-eagles-want-to-turn-brookvale-oval-into-giants-stadium-20141028-11d18s.html

I truly hope the "Penn vision" for Brookie Oval will see the light of day! 2017 is an ambitious target for something on this scale but let's hope Scott can be the driving force to get plans turned into "bricks & mortar" construction :)

Do we definitely have $20m already guaranteed for the redevelopment? I thought it was only $10m :s

More schematics, hoping I am wrong but this is pie in the sky stuff. I can see the vision to make it multi purpose so that it attracts investment. $20 Million for 3000 seats? Then he'll need to raise 10 times that for the ideas listed in the article.

looks horrible and weirdly shapped, the guys sitting on half way are far away from the sideline

Also you would think they could at least improve the pitch so there werent large patches of dirt

I love it but it won't happen. I have heard all this a million times before just a different vision on the same theme.

Hard to keep some happy. Who cares!!!!

This week we have had the most positive stuff being put out there about Manly in years and all you do is whinge about it...Pie in the Sky stuff....FFS we have a team and an owner willing to do something and showing us in a professional manner...

Slothfield has had nothing to write for a week and even Dean Ritchie is writing positive stuff.

Get on board and support don't moan and groan...We have had to do that for tooo long now.

Brookie the suburb doesn't suit. It's a dump. No point having this nice shiny new toy among dilapidated industrial stuff...

cherry_poppins said:
Loobs said:
Brookie the suburb doesn't suit. It's a dump. No point having this nice shiny new toy among dilapidated industrial stuff...

Uhhh what? Joke Yeah? Lubricants?

As far as making the stadium a "precinct" and somewhere people want to be outside of league games, then no joke at all.

The stadium in San Fran was also in a dump but the whole area underwent a development AND (big "and") it's on the waterfront.

I'm not from the area, but Brookvale is an industrial/commercial centre if I'm not mistaken? People go there to shop, do business etc, not necessarily to see the sights?
I don't know the legalities of it, given that its council owned, but if the street frontage of the stands contained retail and commercial premises, wouldn't a developer or tier of government be interested in supporting funding in return for the rental? I thought I saw something about adding a motel to the development. I would stay in a motel there given I expect that it would be cheaper than in Manly and I'm a family man on a budget. I have a car. I can drive to the beach etc from there.
These are just some possible way of generating funds, there would be others.
Point is, the Penns are not fools. They are successful business people in their own right whom I doubt deal in pie in the sky stuff. Penn has said that they have been in dialogue. That dialogue must have offered some promise, or why would he waste his time?
It sounds too good to be true, and may well be. But until we are told that the funding we have at the moment is all we can ever get, then I'm keen to hear more.

Loobs said:
cherry_poppins said:
Loobs said:

Uhhh what? Joke Yeah? Lubricants?

As far as making the stadium a "precinct" and somewhere people want to be outside of league games, then no joke at all.

The stadium in San Fran was also in a dump but the whole area underwent a development AND (big "and") it's on the waterfront.

You don't need water to be beautiful, the area is pretty enough

My issue is Warringah mall is too close

Merdy33 said:
I'm not from the area, but Brookvale is an industrial/commercial centre if I'm not mistaken? People go there to shop, do business etc, not necessarily to see the sights?
I don't know the legalities of it, given that its council owned, but if the street frontage of the stands contained retail and commercial premises, wouldn't a developer or tier of government be interested in supporting funding in return for the rental? I thought I saw something about adding a motel to the development. I would stay in a motel there given I expect that it would be cheaper than in Manly and I'm a family man on a budget. I have a car. I can drive to the beach etc from there.
These are just some possible way of generating funds, there would be others.
Point is, the Penns are not fools. They are successful business people in their own right whom I doubt deal in pie in the sky stuff. Penn has said that they have been in dialogue. That dialogue must have offered some promise, or why would he waste his time?
It sounds too good to be true, and may well be. But until we are told that the funding we have at the moment is all we can ever get, then I'm keen to hear more.

Don't the Penns also own the leagues club site, the LC car park site and the demountables across the road next to the Travelodge? So that whole block could be re-done too as part of any redevelopment.

I like the idea of the precinct with community and retail uses. Also there are 2 schools across the road from the oval that could use some facilities.

Let's face it the whole area needs an upgrade.

We need a 30k stadium with all the modcons and build it for the future so we can house other sports too. The northern beaches deserves a world class stadium

Loobs said:

How do you expect anything to change if you don't change anything?

Ron E. Gibbs said:
^ We all know that picture is AT&T Park in San Francisco, right? It's not a mock-up of Brookie.

Yes that is the Giants home ground. (Soon to be world champions!) The point is That it's basically an eating/shopping precinct with a sporting field in the middle. I highly doubt they want to build a baseball shaped field at Brookvale.

Frogz said:
Hard to keep some happy. Who cares!!!!

This week we have had the most positive stuff being put out there about Manly in years and all you do is whinge about it...Pie in the Sky stuff....FFS we have a team and an owner willing to do something and showing us in a professional manner...

Slothfield has had nothing to write for a week and even Dean Ritchie is writing positive stuff.

Get on board and support don't moan and groan...We have had to do that for tooo long now.

We have seen artist impressions of what was planned in the past. I agree been heaps negative stuff in the past and good news is a welcome change. But we struggle to get funding to do a grandstand upgrade which reported in the article will cost $20 Million for 3000 seats then how much will a whole precinct cost?

I am actually very excited for the future of Manly with the recent developments at the club. However it must be said that this has been a very long ongoing issue with promises, concepts, funding strategies etc so I think being skeptical is warranted.

Happy to wear egg on my face on this particular topic however :)

Not sure Brookie will ever become a baseball stadium that is mostly used for rugby league, but I like the thought of having a 30-40,000 capacity home venue that isn't the SFS. A venue of that size would make it hard for the NRL to force us to play 'home' finals elsewhere (personally I wouldn't mind seeing Brookie redeveloped into something similar to Hunter Stadium in Newcastle).

I wouldn't mind betting that at some point in the future talks start to get the A-League's Mariners involved to make it more attractive when trying to get the money together. Oh sure, they'll never permanently leave Gosford, but playing a few games at Brookie wouldn't be out of the question. They were talking about taking some games this season to North Sydney until they were told that NSO wasn't up to standard, so surely an upgraded Brookvale Oval would be a more attractive option given that its a rectangular shaped ground (and a bit closer to 'home').

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6