Brookie Oval sellout plan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Brookie Oval sellout plan

* news
          o Local News

20 Apr 10 @ 05:59pm by Brenton Cherry
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/brookie-oval-sellout-plan/

IT HAS been known as Brookvale Oval since 1947, but the iconic home of the Manly Sea Eagles could soon bear a sponsor’s name under a proposal before Warringah Council.

Councillor Virginia Laugesen, who is behind the move, wants Warringah to follow other councils such as Penrith and Sutherland in offering the naming rights of the NRL ground to potential sponsors. The Penrith Panthers currently play at CUA Stadium while Toyota Park is home to the Sharks.

In 2008 the Sea Eagles floated a similar idea, believing the move could generate about $300,000 a year for the club.

Do you think Brookvale Oval should lose its name to a sponsor? Comment below.

But Cr Laugesen’s proposal would see any income generated from the naming rights going straight for use in the community.

“The Sea Eagles are not entitled to it (money) as the ground is owned by council,” she said.

“What we do at the moment is subsidise the maintenance shortfall for the ground with rates, so instead of that we could offer the naming rights and hopefully some corporate venture takes it on. That would free up money for local projects such as footpaths, street sweeping, mowing parks, childcares and potholes.”

But Manly Sea Eagles CEO Graham Lowe was not impressed with the proposal.

“I don’t suppose I should be surprised that the minority group on council is making a greedy grab for dollars,” he said.

“No major company would consider naming rights without walking arm-in-arm with the peninsula’s most famous sporting club and the only club capable of filling the ground.”

Sea Eagles fans are also likely to provide a stumbling block for the proposal, with some indicating a desire to retain the traditional name.

Diehard fan Andrew Cochran, who owns the Ocean Blend Cafe at North Narrabeen, said it would be devastating to see Brookvale Oval renamed.

“It is nice that Brookie holds its name and that makes us unique and a little bit special when compared to everyone else,” he said. “I think it is a bit tough and a bit rude for council to take all the money when it is the efforts of a lot of people which go into maintaining it.”

BE -> articles >> submit article..........

I like the idea of naming rights being given to the field to generate money, but for the council tobyhink the sea eagles deserve none of that is both naive and wrong.

Without the sea eagles it's just an empty unused stadium. Without brookie the sea eagles are still the sea eagles

who voted this ****kwit in to council. Im seriously considering running at the next election, shouldn't be hard to get a start considering what we have to put up with at the moment.

Dan link said:
BE -> articles >> submit article..........

Dan, is there anybody at the moment actually publishing articles that people are submitting for publishing?  I am still waiting for the "QLD Cup: Dolphins' too good for Eagles" article to be published that I submitted in the early hours of Monday morning before I went to bed. I ended up posting the article as a thread late yesterday afternoon with an apology to you and an explanation as to why I posted it as a thread. As far as I am aware, ManlyBacker normally publishes them but he appears to be absent from site of late (Last Active: April 13, 2010, 12:53:27 PM).

MB has moved from Sydney to up the coast and is taking a little time to get back online. It will happen soon and when it does, he will be back publishing again. In the mean time it is up to Dan who is very busy (being newly married :) ) and works a busy job online.

Thanks for the info CW.  :)

I didn't know the reason that ManlyBacker has been absent was because he is/was moving house locations and that Dan was doing the article publishing in the mean time.  I already know that Dan leads a busy life outside of these forums so I can understand if things are a little bit behind in the article publishing department.

Personally I dont have an issue with the naming rights being sold as long as the funds directly support the redevelopment of the oval

In the perect world the name Brookvale Oval should be retained, but cash is king so I can live with it. Regardless of what it is called it will always be Brookvale to me and I suspect most other Eagles supporters.

I thought this thread was going to be about a master plan to ensure a crowd of 20,000 turns up on the Monday holiday next week for the game against the GC!

Surely we'll see some major advertising & article exposure this week to capitalise on our 4 wins on the trot and take advantage of Monday being a public holiday.

They had this problem when Lang park became Suncorp Stadium. I guarantee that who ever does get naming right's will have to get use to the place still being called Brookevale Oval

[quote author=BErKeLEy_eAgLe “The Sea Eagles are not entitled to it (money) as the ground is owned by council,” she said.

“What we do at the moment is subsidise the maintenance shortfall for the ground with rates, so instead of that we could offer the naming rights and hopefully some corporate venture takes it on. That would free up money for local projects such as footpaths, street sweeping, mowing parks, childcares and potholes.”

[/quote]
The comments above highlight how out of touch the 3 stooges on the council are.
She says MWSE is not entitled to any of the money yet she fails to realise if Manly didn't play there in a national competition they wouldn't get $5 for naming rights.

If a multi national or a big financial institution wanted to commit to $300 000 - $1 mil are year over 10 - 15 years and that capital went directly towards the grounds redevelopment including an eastern stand, well call it Westpac Oval for all i care, but this is nothing but 3 morons trying to rob the community of an northern beaches Icon.

The other thing that annoys me is one of these three clowns has only lived in this country for 13 years, she immagrated in 1997, 51 years after Manly started using brookvale as their home yet she wants to take that away from the majority.

Maybe she should pack up and move back to the ****hole in eastern europe she came from.

Cambo link said:
[quote author=BErKeLEy_eAgLe “The Sea Eagles are not entitled to it (money) as the ground is owned by council,” she said.

The comments above highlight how out of touch the 3 stooges on the council are.
She says MWSE is not entitled to any of the money yet she fails to realise if Manly didn't play there in a national competition they wouldn't get $5 for naming rights.

If a multi national or a big financial institution wanted to commit to $300 000 - $1 mil are year over 10 - 15 years and that capital went directly towards the grounds redevelopment including an eastern stand, well call it Westpac Oval for all i care, but this is nothing but 3 morons trying to rob the community of an northern beaches Icon.

The other thing that annoys me is one of these three clowns has only lived in this country for 13 years, she immagrated in 1997, 51 years after Manly started using brookvale as their home yet she wants to take that away from the majority.

Maybe she should pack up and move back to the S**thole in eastern europe she came from.
[/quote] Probably the best post you've ever made here mate.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6