Brookie game moved to China 2014!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/canberra-raiders/raiders-manly-in-shenzhen-matchup-20120904-25d23.html

Raiders, Manly in Shenzhen match-up

Fifteen years after Super League wanted to take rugby league to China, the Canberra Raiders hope to do just that by playing Manly in a fully-fledged NRL premiership match there in 2014.

The Raiders yesterday held initial talks with the Sea Eagles about the prospect of playing a game at Shenzhen Stadium, a newly-built 60,000 seat venue an hour north of Hong Kong.

Manly's main backer, Kaspersky, last month signalled its interest in helping facilitate a trial game in China against Canberra, who signed a two-year sponsorship deal with Chinese technology giant Huawei in April.

But after meeting Kaspersky and Manly officials at Huawei's Sydney offices yesterday, Raiders boss Don Furner confirmed the Sea Eagles are willing to play one of their 2014 premiership home games in China.

Russian IT company Kaspersky was the major sponsor of AFL club Melbourne Demons when they played an exhibition game in China against Brisbane in 2010.

Super League supremo John Ribot's vision of playing in China never unfolded 15 years ago, but Manly and the Raiders are confident of succeeding where he failed.

Huawei's head office is based in Shenzhen, regarded as one of the fastest-growing megalopolises in China.

''They're keen now on a competition game, not a trial game, if Manly want to do that we're fine by it [because] they'll be easier to beat up there than at Brookvale,'' Furner said.

''We need to talk to the NRL and get it sanctioned, then start the process of looking at the stadium over there, it's certainly in the very early concept stages.

''We'll go and see Fox Sports with the NRL about the idea, obviously they'll have more production costs there than in Australia, so there's those issues.

''All we would [have] to make sure of is that all our costs would be covered.''

Both clubs believe a match with two competition points on the line, contested by full-strength teams, stands a greater chance of capturing the Chinese public's imagination.

''It should get guaranteed coverage on Fox, and it's a better chance that Chinese TV will take that broadcast as well,'' Furner said.

''For a game that involves so much travel, if both teams could get a bye in April [the week after the match] we'd try and play the game then, because it gets a bit warm up there coming into May and June.''

Furner confirmed all parties would consider making the clash a regular fixture if it proved a resounding success in 2014.

''If it worked and the NRL got behind it, we'd have the option of going there again in 2015,'' Furner said.

Manly currently moves two of its home games to different venues each season.

This season they played South Sydney at the Central Coast's Bluetongue Stadium and the New Zealand Warriors at Perth's Patersons Stadium.

It is believed the Sea Eagles are considering playing in China each season from 2014, which could jeopardise Perth's prospects of hosting future Manly games.

I think Manly played Roosters in Japan in mid 1990s.

China men will say wat da Fluck

wombatgc said:
Did i just hear Mark Tramby fall off his chair??:p

2vn2j6c.jpg

Great, we can start saving now :)

Manly have to ask the NRL to schedule it prior to a Bye.
It would be very taxing for the Players. Plus it would give us a chance to see the Wall and the Terracotta Warriors.

'Lun It, Fck Ya' :p

It should be fairly cheap to fly with China Southern or one of the other Chinese airlines... hopefully they are still in business in 2014.

The other thing... the article isnt clear which team is taking the game there. Us or them...

Did i read that right? Why are Canberra pushing for it to be our home game? And why is it going to be a regular season game?

Stevo said:
Did i read that right? Why are Canberra pushing for it to be our home game? And why is it going to be a regular season game?

Maybe because we only ever play Canberra once a year and it's always our home game. We haven't been go canberra since 2008.

bones said:
Stevo said:

Maybe because we only ever play Canberra once a year and it's always our home game. We haven't been go canberra since 2008.

I take it you'll be heading off to this home game then, Bones?

I'll be there. China is a great place, excellent food and fantastic shopping. The reason the Faders are keen is that their major sponsor is a Chinese company.

Rusty said:
It should be fairly cheap to fly with China Southern or one of the other Chinese airlines... hopefully they are still in business in 2014.

The other thing... the article isnt clear which team is taking the game there. Us or them...

"But after meeting Kaspersky and Manly officials at Huawei's Sydney offices yesterday, Raiders boss Don Furner confirmed the Sea Eagles are willing to play one of their 2014 premiership home games in China."

It'd be our home game, which would be great bucks for the club.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
I've been to Beijing, and it is an eye-opening city. Nowhere else in China, though.
I think it's a great idea on the proviso that the travel doesn't disrupt the team too much. If the match could be played on a weekend prior to a bye it would help with recovery.
Again, this shows that most clubs need to take home games away in order to stay afloat financially. But not the Broncos. They never do anything to promote the game interstate or internationally because they have a city of 2 million to support them. In fact, Manly and The Berries take home games to Suncorp, so Bonco supporters are unfairly spoiled.

Living in Hong Kong and spending 14 of my last 15 years in Asia, I've been dreaming of something like this (and always assumed it would stay a dream). There's a huge new station currently being built in front of my place that will provide an express from HK to Shenzen... The stars are aligning...lol.

As our Hong Kong based supporter stated, Shenzen is a stones throw from Honka's, and I'd suggest most who go up might want to do HK with a side trip over for the game.

HKG is MUCH more conducive to a football crowd than pretty much anywhere in China, so my initial thoughts would be that's how I would structure it.

I assure you though if this does go ahead we will look at a few options, and anyway it's probably 18 months away...we have a GF to win and I have another WCC Tour to oragnise first!!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7