Brookie: five more years

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
THE Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Ltd have been granted a five-year licence for Brookvale Oval "to give the club a sense of continuity," despite reservations by some local residents.

The club's existing licence does not expire until September 2009 but director Kerry Sibraa argued that it needs to lock-in the new licence so it can give the club "certainty."

"We need an upgrade and we need the lease," he said. "We want the lease for our army of fans and we want to upgrade the facility for them." But a local resident, who asked not to be named because of fear of retribution, said there had been insufficient notification of the proposed lease to local residents and questioned why the lease had to be decided so soon.

He asked for the decision on the lease to be deferred to allow for further community consultation.

But Warringah Council administrator Dick Persson agreed that the club needed certainty while acknowledging tensions between the club and some residents near Brookvale Oval, over the behaviour of people leaving the oval after games.

Under the new lease, the club will pay the council $348,484 a year. The council currently spends about $300,000 a year on maintenance for Brookvale Oval.

THe residents are a joke.

They ****ing bought a house right next to the oval, what did they expect to happen, the oval to just be sold off and units built there.

They have to suffer for a massive what 12 days a year, and at the moment only 10. FFS pricks!

I agree with Dan, it's a ****ing joke why buy a house in the first place knowing well that it's near the oval. Leichhardt oval has houses around it i can't remember hearing of any residents whinging i could be wrong though.? I've got a solution ill swap them for my department of housing and ill go and live in their house i would love to live near Brookie oh the thought. ;D

This reminds me of a new shopping center thats getting built down here in the illawarra theres a old hill billy style house next to the site. The word is they offer 500 k then 750 k and finally one mill for it but they knocked it back. When all the trucks start backing up into the loading docks at all hours of the night/morning they may well regret not selling then maybe not.

Like the ****s who bought a unit next to Luna Park then decided that they didn't like the noice/screams coming from the Big Dipper

5 years isn't that long really. It's hardly what I'd call long term stability. You'd think the council would be falling over themselves to get a long term (20+ years) deal stitched up. How can Manly justify spending money to upgrade when they could be shown the door in 5 years because of a pack of whinging NIMBY's.

I'd be interested to know what restrictions (zoning)are held over the site and whether development of the land is the council's long term plan. 

The Wheel link said:
Like the c**ts who bought a unit next to Luna Park then decided that they didn't like the noice/screams coming from the Big Dipper

To be fair, Luna Park was shut down when many of them bought it and the big dipper wasnt there.

I kind of feel sorry for them. Luna park is a **** hole and and eye sore, those apartments are completely ruined by it!

It's the Brookvale Community Group headed up by Christina Kirsch. Do some searching on the net for her name and Brookvale Oval. She leads up the community group, and complains consistently about Brooky.
If you want to send her an E-mail - she's the one.
"Apparently" she speaks for the residents. I'm one, and she doesn't speak for me.

Recently she provided all these figures in The Manly Daily. She submitted them as a representative, but got all the numbers wrong. Article was in the Manly Daily. Here are some complaints by her re: Brookvale Oval:-

1. Brookvale Valley Community Group spokeswoman Christina Kirsch said the group would have preferred banning the sale of full-strength beer. "The more people drink, the more it encourages antisocial and loutish behaviour."

2. 100 000,-$ for buses that are chocked during peak hours and not capable to deal with the increased demand; hardly any funding for health, public transport, or the environment - but 6 Million $ in funding for a venue that is hijacked by a privately owned, commercial enterprise, used 24 hours per year, and whose attendance figures are much below capacity. How does the NSW government come up with its priorities? What has gone wrong when the needs of the majority are constantly sacrificed for the demands of - a very vocal - minority? Never before in Australian history has so much been done for so few! Posted by: Christina Kirsch of Narraweena 9:55am

3. Residents win from Brookie deal: Eagles
Jesse Phillips
18 July 2008
MANLY Sea Eagles CEO Grant Mayer has crash tackled a submission from Brookvale Valley Community Group regarding the club's use of Brookvale Oval.
The club's deed of agreement with Warringah Council for the use of the oval expires at the end of October next year, and the club is currently negotiating a new one.
In a submission to the council the group said the club's plan to pay a yearly fixed rate to the council instead of a percentage of takings would short-change the council and the community.
However, Mr Mayer said the amount the club paid the council last year was almost double the amount it paid in the previous few years.
"We paid the council $417,000 including GST in 2007. We paid less than $250,000 a year for the previous few years, so the council's income has increased over the last few years," he said.
He said a fixed rate would actually benefit the council and community because the club had taken two games a year away from Brookvale Oval, so if payment was on a percentage basis, the council would receive less.
"We have said a fixed rate of about $350,000 a year," Mr Mayer said.
"What we have tried to do is give the local community a guaranteed income as opposed to 15 per cent."
The Brookvale Valley Community Group also said in its submission that ratepayers had recently forked out $10 million for upgrades at the ground, and as such, should have more access to the ground for events other than rugby league.
Mr Mayer said only $4 million came from ratepayers and the rest came from the State Government after lobbying from the Sea Eagles.
"If we had not done that the ground would have fallen down around our ears.''
He said the oval was council-owned and the football club leased it 12 times a year.
"If anyone else wants to lease the oval they have to go to the council," he said.
Brookvale Valley Community Group president Christina Kirsch was unable to be reached for comment yesterday.

4. Jim Beam Bourbon Fest - Christina Kirsch advised that the Brookvale Valley Community Group had received complaintsregarding the loudspeaker, use of coarse language and patrons urinating on the oval (Brookvale) during the Jim Beam Bourbon Fest held in November 2007.

It just goes on and on and on. The way I read it, she has a hatred of the place, and all the fans / families / community that gather together with a like interest with any regarding Brookvale Oval and the team.

Why buy a residence near the place, and whinge when it grows?

Yep, I'm a resident...and she does NOT speak for me !!

you are not a brookvale valley local though.

SHe is fighting a losing battle though because the dollars and community value of Brookie far outweighs the squeeky wheels.

20,000 people per game vs a handful of maybe 20 residents.

Brookvale oval sits smack back in the centre/bottom of one of hills on the side of the valley, the other side is up around Harbord/freshwater high and that ridge that goes down to the mall, behind the mall and all the way back round to Brookie oval

Maybe now that the club has been given the further 5 year lease she might decide to pack up & leave seeing as though it's such a major inconvenience to her having the club playing 10 games a year there with the possibility of a further game during the finals (that is if they are still doing that this year).

Yeah, I'm dreaming.

I wonder whether there is any chance of a stadium at the narrabeen sports centre. I could see that as a future alternative

Dan link said:
I wonder whether there is any chance of a stadium at the narrabeen sports centre. I could see that as a future alternative

Imagine something like Skilled park with an underground carpark underneath the stadium

If we could just own our ground one day ? like the fish fingers own theirs.? I wonder what it would cost to buy brookvale oval and what with todays prices of land and where brookie is situated quite alot i would think.

Surely the land and water rates would have to be cheaper than leasing the ground year to year.?

I would like to find out who these resident are just so I can wizz in their flower bed when I'm there for the Titans game.

We could to a pee protest and organize a piss in. I do and silvertails.net do notnot encourage these or any such action. I will be at the same game though

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6