Broncos NRL cheer squad rebranded in bid to 'desexualise' performers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

NYEagle

Bencher
Wow - this article just indicates how the world has gone mad

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-22/brisbane-broncos-cheerleaders-now-a-dance-squad/10928718

Imagine the future:

Kid - "whats the difference between uncle Bob and aunty Maude?

Adult - Well, Uncle Bob and Aunty Maude have bumps in different places. We can't talk about them, but we are trying really hard to make them go away, so don't worry you'll soon be able to call them just Bob and Maude.

I dunno, but I feel there is something far bigger more damaging mentally to society in all of this. Who the f^%^$ is making all these decisions telling me I can't appreciate women for what makes them different to me, and appreciate beauty?. Yes you can be a respectable member of society and appreciate that, and it's a choice my choice.

Teach kids in school how to respect the opposite sex, not hide sexuality like an ugly cancer.

NYEagle

I get your point, but I think is more a case of the dancers trying to stay relevant in the modern game rather than PC gone mad. For me, cheer-leading in Australia has always been a bit of a joke, especially when compared to the cheer squads found in the states and they have probably relied too heavily on appearance to attract the attention of male fans.
I was sat in the front row of a Manly/Melbourne game a couple of years ago and the cheerleaders did not bring much of family feel to the game (through their high kicks and skimpy underwear a couple of feet from my face). It gave the feeling of visiting a strip club with my mother sat on one side and my partner and young son on the other.

I'm all for (healthy) sexual content but I don't see the need for it at the footy or for that matter the need to be entertained by professional dancers. It's another way those in charge have tried to Americanize our game. If it truly is a such an entertaining sport/art? then they can omit the "other" reason people pay attention to them and prove it. If they can't then lets bring back the kids and crowd competitions for the half time entertainment.

Last edited:
From what I saw of them (in the background on TV, while I was at work!) there really hasn’t been any ‘desexualising’ anyway. They were still waving and jiggling the same bits in the same ways, just wearing painted-on tracksuit ensembles rather than more swimwear-oriented costumes. It’s probably more a weather-driven decision than anything - my mum always tells the cheerleaders to put a cardigan on when they strut past her at games. Looks like they’ve taken someone’s mum’s/nanna’s advice, finally @;)

I am so ****en glad that I am old and only have a few more years to listen to all this PC crap. The world has gone crazy and it's not for the better.

I don’t really care for the cheerleaders but if those girls who are probably all instagrammers and ex dancers are using the only currency that they have been taught they have to earn a few extra bucks than big deal. There’s a percentage of the population that respond to and enjoy that. That’s fine. It’s a big world with heaps of different ideas.

I’d be judgmental and a hypocrite to begrudge them their pursuit. They don’t have a problem with it why should I.

When I was in Brisbane in the early 2000’s they actually had some blokes dancing with them too. One of them was a guy I knew. He loved it. I introduced him to some broncos I was drinking/mates with. He was very proud to let them know about it. He didn’t even know they were players.

It’s not a big deal. You need to drive change through education not social justice decisions by those who haven’t been in a situation where cheerleading might put food on the table for someone you love.

Kid - "whats the difference between uncle Bob and aunty Maude?

Adult - Well, Uncle Bob and Aunty Maude have bumps in different places. We can't talk about them, but we are trying really hard to make them go away, so don't worry you'll soon be able to call them just Bob and Maude.
I miss Aunty Jack

I don’t really care for the cheerleaders but if those girls who are probably all instagrammers and ex dancers are using the only currency that they have been taught they have to earn a few extra bucks than big deal. There’s a percentage of the population that respond to and enjoy that. That’s fine. It’s a big world with heaps of different ideas.

I’d be judgmental and a hypocrite to begrudge them their pursuit. They don’t have a problem with it why should I.

When I was in Brisbane in the early 2000’s they actually had some blokes dancing with them too. One of them was a guy I knew. He loved it. I introduced him to some broncos I was drinking/mates with. He was very proud to let them know about it. He didn’t even know they were players.

It’s not a big deal. You need to drive change through education not social justice decisions by those who haven’t been in a situation where cheerleading might put food on the table for someone you love.
I’m not one for this but @MuzztheEagle why a dislike when I thought we posted pretty similar sentiments. I’m not upset about the dislike just want to know if I’d prefaced my thought in a confusing way. Cheers.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8