Broncos grab new halfback - Orford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DVS Matt

Bencher
Broncos grab new halfback
Article from: The Courier
• Font size: Decrease Increase
• Email article: Email
• Print article: Print
• Submit comment: Submit comment
Matt Marshall
June 24, 2007 19:00pm
HALFBACK saviour Matt Oford could join Brisbane as early as next week with club officials last night manoeuvring for his immediate release from Manly.
Orford, 29, is eager to join the NRL merry-go-round by immediately linking with master coach Wayne Bennett and the defending premiers.
The Sea Eagles may yet block the move, but that appears unlikely following the recent form of hooker Michael Monaghan.
The immediate playing future of Orford remains heavily clouded after coach Des Hasler gave the ex-Melbourne star no guarantee of finishing 2007 in first grade. He underlined that message yesterday by dropping Orford to the second tier recovery session.
"He'd be an option on a reasonable base contract with match payments," Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said of the man viewed as Darren Lockyer's long-term halves partner.
"I doubt they'd release him – but Manly would have paid him more than half of what his current contract is. If we were able to get him under $50,000, that would keep him under our cap."
Hasler, who has indicated he is ready to start implementing plans for next year, said on Monday that Orford might need to stand aside for an emerging half. He also refused to guarantee Orford's NRL spot.
The Sea Eagles are also grooming up-and-coming pivot Aaron Groom, who played in Jersey Flegg on Friday night.
"It would need to be a quick turnaround," Orford's manager George Mimis said of the potential switch last night. "He's got to do it before next Saturday"
Mimis’ said he would be disappointed if Manly refused Orford a release and then made him play out the season in reserve grade.
"I don't think Des Hasler would be game to do that. There would be an uproar," Mimis said.
"If they don't pick people on form there would be an uproar. His form warrants selection in first grade, surely.
"I'd be very disappointed if something like that happened, as would most people at the club, fans included. He (Hasler) would be putting his neck right on the block. You just don't do those sorts of things."
Manly lost 27-8 to the Bulldogs on Friday night.

what a pile of ****e, we are coming second and we are releasing him ??? when there are no players left to sign for this season anyway ? jeeeesh...

I certainly hope this isn't true.
Will reek of the Monas 05 saga, and our season will be gooooooooonne.

Was this from the Ford Courier ?? Or DHL ??

Load of rubbish. I didn't realise we had tiered recovery sessions. Do they have tiered parking spots at training, or tiered post game showers. Maybe Orford needs to walk an extra 50m to training and have a cold shower after the game to spark him up a bit.

I've just checked The Couriers official site, and that article must have been taken down.

Although...I found this...

Matt Marshall
June 20, 2007 12:00am

HALFBACK saviour Peter Wallace could join Brisbane as early as next week with club officials last night manoeuvring for his immediate release from Penrith.

Wallace, 21, has signed a two-year deal to join Brisbane from 2008, but with 10 days remaining before the June 30 cut-off date he is eager to join the NRL merry-go-round by immediately linking with master coach Wayne Bennett and the defending premiers.
Penrith may yet block the move, but that appears unlikely following the arrival of ex-Dragon Richie Williams this week.

The immediate playing futures of Wallace and fellow Brisbane-bound Panther Joel Clinton remain heavily clouded after coach Matt Elliott gave the pair no guarantee of finishing 2007 in first grade. He underlined that message yesterday by dropping the in-form Wallace to Premier League.

"He'd be an option on a small base contract with match payments," Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said of the man viewed as Darren Lockyer's long-term halves partner.

"I doubt they'd release him – but Penrith would have paid him more than half of what his current contract is. If we were able to get him under $50,000, that would keep him under our cap."

Elliott, who has indicated he is ready to start implementing plans for next year, said on Monday that Clinton might need to stand aside for an emerging prop. He also refused to guarantee Wallace's NRL spot.

The Panthers are also grooming up-and-coming pivot Maurice Blair, who was named in first grade yesterday.

"It would need to be a quick turnaround," Wallace's manager Allan Gainey said of the potential switch last night. "He's got to do it before Saturday week."

Gainey said he would be disappointed if Penrith refused Wallace a release and then made him play out the season in reserve grade.

"I don't think Matt Elliott would be game to do that. There would be an uproar," Gainey said.

"If they don't pick people on form there would be an uproar. His form warrants selection in first grade, surely.

"I'd be very disappointed if something like that happened, as would most people at the club, fans included. He (Elliott) would be putting his neck right on the block. You just don't do those sorts of things."

Because Wallace played only one NRL game last year, Brisbane can snare its man without breaching the salary cap.

"As a local junior, Peter's still overcoming the disappointment of not being made an offer," Gainey said. "He's just disappointed he didn't even have an offer to consider. That's their call.

"We went out there asking them to table their first, final and best offer. They virtually said 'we wish you all the best'. And he would have stayed there for less."

Clinton, who does not qualify for the exemption after playing 23 matches last year, is likely to play out the year in Penrith.

I can't believe you wasted time actually doing it.
Not ONE person fell for it, and I remembered seeing a VERY similar atricle about Wallace. You'll have to try better to fool The Silvertails.

I knew it was not true as Ryan said Des would not have the balls to drop Orford, Ryan never gets it wrong ;)

http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/message-board-detail.asp?mbid=72097&s=0

he fell for it.

poor wittle wyan - fooled you easy. Although not difficult

Ok...it's confirmed...you ARE confused from MSE.

And how does this response:-

"Lies.....plain and simple."

Suggest you fooled me.

Then:-

"MSE has conveniently gone down, so I guess we'll just have to speculate."

Detect the sarcasm there?

Like your MSE name "confused" where you expressed you wanted an injury to Orford, so Monaghan could play 5/8, I think you may be confused as to whether I fell for this tripe.

I notice Chip and Chase gave it the credit it deserved as well !!!

oh ryan - trust me i'm not 'confused'.

just was having a bit of fun and that nut job took me seriously.

do you take everything so seriously?

p.s. I now revoke your PI status after coming to the conclusion that i am 'confused'.

Mate - have to say though, I'm genuinely humbled about the effort you made in your avatar though. It's nice to know that your thinking of me, and will do so everytime you post.

I kind of feel like a celebrity !!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4