Broncos' Dessie Bid

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You can tell Des's heart isn't in it at the Dogs. He's only there for the $$$. Its most evident in his post match press conferences, when he was at Manly and we lost or were duded he'd blow a casket. At the Dogs he just doesn't seem give a ****. I bet he's regretting his decision now.

All about the coin , Des is a great coach but he has been blinkered by his own success. Bucket list in the NRL has already happened with Manly he ticked all the boxes with the club and at the moment its pay me the money and I will just go through the motions just like certain "how good am I players". One thing for sure he wont come back to Manly to much ego for that trip down memory lane.

mcatt said:
I am obviously no fan of the Bulldogs or Hasler, and would find it very funny if he screwed over the dogs. But having said that, who the hell do the Broncos think they are? They seem to believe that just because they have a poor season they can have who they want when they want. I don't for a second believe high profile QLD players keep going to them because they are 'home sick', they target QLD players offer them more money and the excuses are made up later. I hope Barba is a bust for them and they miss out on everyone else! I am also glad Des turned them down and is actually honouring this contract.

The sooner a second Brisbane team in introduced and can start chipping away at the Broncos monopoly up there the better.

100% agree with that. They can offer the 'star' banana benders more money than most (while somehow managing to not be over the salary cap.....) simply because of the sweetheart deal they have with Nein. When they get at lest 15 prime time nationally televised FTA games on a Friday night during the minor rounds (plus the odd Sunday game), they can charge their sponsors a lot more money, charge more for game and season tickets, corporate boxes etc than any other club in the league with the possible exception of the Warriors.

If anyone believes the Donkeys didn't talk to Ben Barba or at least his manager and tabled an offer before he was released from the Dogs, I have a few bridges for sale. What was it, one day after his release that word got out they already had a contract for him to sign? I wonder if one reason Des declined the Donkeys offer because he knew even mid-year that if he went to Brisbane he'd end up with Barba again?

Given what happened with the Crushers and how News Ltd. and the Donkeys made life hard for them, I don't know if a second Brisbane team would work. Though if there is another Brisbane based team in the future I hope they get a lot further in life than the Crushers.

Dan said:
Wasn't this same article published several times in regards to Hasler with different team names as current club and poaching club back in 2010 and 2011?

Funny though, shows you can buy a successful coach, but you can't buy a culture

You make a very good point.
I think you would find that since 2008 the bulldogs would have the biggest turn over of players in the NRL. They seem to be always buying a lot of player yet struggle to develop and retain their own home grown stars.

This is the legacy Greenberg leaves. He's not a football man he's a business man (not a very good one at the).

If you read the kennel you will see about 60-70% of the discussion is about who they are going to buy or who they should buy so the culture has seeped down to their fans.

In the 80s and 90s the roosters we're known as the transit lounge for their excessive buying and turning over of players I think it's safe to say the Bulldogs have taken over that title thanks to the self promoter Mr Greenberg.

CAMBO said:
If love to see des leave the dogs and take over from Daley as NSW coach. He should of got the Australian job instead of sheens.

It was a low act what he did when he left but he is a great coach and deserves a chance at rep coaching

I'm not convinced Des would make a good rep coach. I think he would put too much stock in preparation and tactics etc and for the amount of time you have to prepare for Origin it just doesn't work. Look at Bellamy. Terrible coach for the Blues, almost coached the passion out of the jumper.

bones said:
A contract is a piece of paper which let's the Broncos know they can make you an offer.

DCE
Milford
Barba
Hasler

Just another reason to hate the Broncos.

Jeez they are desperate.

Seems closer than most realise to another back alley job.
After a poor season with a good squad of under performing players, almost sneaking out the back door.
Probably had Reynolds & Morris leaving on the same plane.
In the Hasler biography that comes out in 2023 I have little doubt his biggest regret will be leaving the Seaeagles in poor fashion.
Seems to still have that egotistical power play as a coach but lacks the genuine care he had for the Manly players, very different to when he was here in this area of leadership.
A powerful coach who has gone for "the challenge " to a club he seems to lack genuine chemistry with....

At some stage Des started reading his own press and decided he was going to be a career coach after all. It would be hilarious if he walked out on the Dogs for a better offer (ie, more cash). It would be just what they deserve. But it will be equally hilarious if he hangs around Belmore for a few more years, doesn't win them a premiership and gets tossed out on his ear.

When Tooves gives it away after his 3 or 4 premierships I'd give Des another go......at water boy.

mickqld said:
When Tooves gives it away after his 3 or 4 premierships I'd give Des another go......at water boy.

After Tooves bows out with his 3 or 4 premierships and then Kieran Foran takes over the reins (winning another 3 or 4), with Matty Ballin as Head Conditioner......then Des can clean the toilets.

Killer03 said:
mickqld said:

After Tooves bows out with his 3 or 4 premierships and then Kieran Foran takes over the reins (winning another 3 or 4), with Matty Ballin as Head Conditioner......then Des can clean the toilets.

Even that is too good for him, I never ever want to see that traitorous bastard step through our doors again , in ANY role

Mark from Brisbane said:
Killer03 said:
mickqld said:

Even that is too good for him, I never ever want to see that traitorous bastard step through our doors again , in ANY role

Totally Agree Mark I can forgive him for leaving ,but the way he went about it , destroying the Clubs Grand Final Celebrations was Deplorable

Ron E. Gibbs said:
At some stage Des started reading his own press and decided he was going to be a career coach after all. It would be hilarious if he walked out on the Dogs for a better offer (ie, more cash). It would be just what they deserve. But it will be equally hilarious if he hangs around Belmore for a few more years, doesn't win them a premiership and gets tossed out on his ear.

He's like an unkempt, emotional version of Ivan the Iceman Cleary. Hasler just waited a lot longer until he left Manly for good and bought a multi-club Opal ticket for use on Sydney buses, trains and ferries. They both still live on the beaches, perhaps in the vain hope that one day they will again receive the call from Pittwater Road, Brookvale.

The Eels should try to lure him. Would probably cost them a couple million but they could do a lot worse.

Des has priced himself out of Manly. We can afford to pay $500k for a coach. Des gets $1m a year. I can't see any employee or coach taking a 50% pay cut to come back to Manly. In saying that I don't want him back anyway.[/b]

Thank you Des for removing yourself from manly thereby cutting at least $400 K off our costs, oh and thanks for taking T Dog with you we can look forward to NOT wasting our future cash on that over priced , over rated under achiever. Thanks also to toddy for taking out rookie half Trent and opening the way for DCE....ultimately thanks for reminding us of the cores values of this club, while you chase(d) Bogan sorry Dogan, Ferguson, it's all about me Isi and Hayne , dealing with BB the Bs boy we systematically continue to build nobodies into some bodies that value the opportunity embrace our culture, work hard, love the place and make us proud...what a stark contrast....

It's all about the way he left and what he did at the time NOT about wanting to go.

As Happily Manly calls him " Son of Sam"... I alway laugh when I read that but oh so true

Fickle. People forget very quickly what he did for this club both on and off the field. Without him, we wouldn't have the team we have right now.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6