Brogden almost Gone! - suicide??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Brogden in suicide fear

EXCLUSIVE by JOSH MASSOUD and LUKE McILVEEN

August 31, 2005

JOHN Brogden was rushed to hospital last night amid fears he had tried to commit suicide.

The disgraced former state leader of the Liberal Party collapsed at his electoral office in Mona Vale.

He was carried out on a stretcher by paramedics about 10.50pm.

It was believed the 36-year-old, who was unconscious, may have harmed himself.

Only four hours earlier, he had been warmly welcomed home with a kiss from his wife Lucy – with whom he has a son – before he headed back to work.

Declining to respond to the latest allegations he had harassed other women, he had rushed into his office at the rear of the building, locked the door and refused to emerge.

Police turned up to the building about 10.15pm.

The Daily Telegraph saw Acting Inspector Rick Janssen from Northern Beaches police knock on Mr Brogden's door several times but there was no answer.

He then made a full inspection of the premises including a search of the side and rear of the building with his torch.

Mr Brogden's secretary helped police enter the building. She raised her hands to her head and became distraught when Mr Brogden was found lying on the floor at the rear of the premises. Minutes later two ambulances arrived before paramedics treated him with lifesaving equipment.

Paramedics covered him with a white blanket, with his face still showing and full of colour, before driving him to Royal North Shore Hospital.

Mrs Brogden was by his side early today.

Prime Minister John Howard, Premier Morris Iemma and NSW Liberal Deputy Leader Barry O'Farrell were all advised of the developments last night.

Mr Brogden was forced to quit the NSW Liberal leadership after he admitted to sexually harassing two female reporters and making a racist joke about Helena Carr being "a mail-order bride".

Liberal sources had told The Daily Telegraph that, apart from these incidents, Mr Brogden had also decided to exit the leadership because a raft of fresh allegations of sexual misconduct was set to destroy his career.

They include propositioning women for group sex and harassing his own staff and other opposition employees at State Parliament.

Despite spending the weekend denying the allegations surrounding his Helena Carr comment and his harassment of the female reporters after an Australian Hotels Association drinks function on July 29, Mr Brogden relented late Sunday and confirmed everything.

Even with his admission, Mr Brogden did several radio interviews on Monday morning where he again admitted to and apologised for his behaviour, but gave no sign he was going to quit the job.

Then, at 11am Monday, he held a snap press conference where he resigned.

This followed the loss of all support from Mr Howard, who made it plain in public comments that he was not going to assist Mr Brogden, saying his future was a matter for the NSW Liberal Party.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal today that Mr Brogden also exited the leadership in record time because the harassment of three female journalists and his racist Helena Carr jibe was only a sample of his poor behaviour towards women.

It emerged yesterday that Mr Brogden had made inappropriate comments to other women in recent years.

Two women came forward yesterday with claims about a Christmas party in 2003 although they had not planned to go public until details of Mr Brogden's drunken behaviour emerged this week.

It also emerged that he was seen in the company of a blonde woman at an exclusive party for last year's David Jones spring fashion launch.

The fashion industry worker told friends she was romantically involved with Mr Brogden and paid him special attention at the party in August 2004, which was attended by supermodel Linda Evangelista.

The Daily Telegraph can also reveal the father of Mr Brogden's wife, Lucy, had serious concerns about the young female staffers he employed to run his office.

Sources close to Mr Brogden said Lucy Brogden's father, former Liberal Party state treasurer Frank Hooke, advised him to move 25-year-old Suzanne Tulloch out of his office in 1999 because colleagues had begun to speculate about their relationship.

Ms Tulloch left to work in London before Mr Brogden made his failed challenge against then leader Kerry Chikarovski in June 2000.

Ms Tulloch, who has returned to Sydney after working overseas, denied they were anything but friends.

The bloke can't even do a decent job of topping himself.

How exactly was he intending to run the State?

After attention from his mrs methinks.

He's in serious shyte. Seems like he was a regular Austin "Yeah Baby" Powers.

When your job is your life you don't go grabbing journalist's bums or parade around town with blonde floozies on your arm.

The man was patently a fool.

When your job is your life you don't go grabbing journalist's bums or parade around town with blonde floozies on your arm.

The man was patently a fool.

Maybe not grabbing bums...but if you can still get blond floozies, then get them as long as you arent paying........

In reality he was just being a bloke.

Some of us prefer a sprinkling of something that is known as "integrity" in leadership.

Quaint and old-fashioned, I know. But there you go......

integrity went out the window years ago. Now you pretty much have to vote for either whomevers lie you like more or whomever lies best.

Maybe its part of being a jaded Gen Y kid but integrity is the last thing I expect in people so believe about 1/4 of what I hear from people.

Byso, if you think that kind of adultry isnt common place, your living with blinkers on!. The idea of monogomy and lasting faithful marriages left the building just behind integrity. Again its not something us Gen Y's believe exists anymore because of a culture handed to us by you Gen X's

That still doesn't excuse it Dan.

The actions of the herd don't excuse the individual, especially when they aspire to leadership.

(Or are you just trying to hit buttons?)

:blaugh: me hit buttons never!

I wasn't trying to excuse it. Just saying it is common practice. and to be surprised is just unfathomable to me.

Bloody Gen X's screw everything up then get surprised when they are screwed up!

I actually feel for the man. When mistakes get so tough on you that you feel taking your life is the only answer, its a very sad situation. Liberal or Labour, he is a human and no matter what kind of trouble he's brought upon himself, its tough to see him make an attempt on his life. Maybe now that he has returned from near death he will realise just how important the things he still has left are.

Why do I have the Chemical Brother's "Galvanise" running as a soundtrack to this thread?

"Push the Button"

*pushes button and runs off giggleing like a school girl*

FORMER New South Wales Opposition Leader John Brogden was rushed to hospital last night after an apparent suicide attempt.

The disgraced Liberal Party politician collapsed at his electoral office in Mona Vale, Sydney. He was carried out on a stretcher by paramedics about 10.50pm. Today's Australian newspaper said he had slit his wrists..............Mr Brogden was found lying on the floor in the shower at the rear of the premises. It is understood he had been drinking heavily from a bottle of gin.

All we need now is confirmation that a Morrissey CD was found at the scene and he has gone the full cliched cry for attention.

What a clown.

Different reports all over the join, some say in the shower, some say over his desk. As irresponsible as the following proabably is, why would anyone choose to slit their wrists when tryig to top themselves?

A bit weird, but seems it was only a half attempt - hope he gets his life on track. His family dont deserve a suicide.

Good on Bob Carr too, said that his wishes him a quick recovery

It's not good when it come to that.
I think if the media dug deep enough they could find a pretty sorid past in most politicians- they are after all ....politicians

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4