Bring back ‘Up the mighty Sea Eagles’

ellakasmar

Reserve Grader
I’ve been talking with my fam and we would love to see ‘Up the mighty Sea Eagles’ come back to Brookie in 2020. This is because the grand final will be played at the SCG, making the song more relevant again! How cool would it be for it to be played after Eagle Rock post-win’s at Brookie. And then hopefully by the first Sunday of October, “that’s the song you will hear as the run on to the cricket ground” ;)

Maybe something to bring up at the next Member’s council? @The Wheel (and whoever else is on it from here!)

I’ll send an email to the club in February as a reminder if other people reckon it’s a cool idea!!

Here’s a refresher:

I agree with Ella. Love the old song, a little cheesy of course. "Waltzing" almost sounds like some sort of rave party trick with MDMA and a tube of toothpaste. But it takes older timers like me back. The AFL do this much better than we do.

I am all for it.

These songs were around long before most of us started supporting the game and probably typifies the difference between AFL and NRL. We should embrace our history rather than toss it aside. The Bunnies and Sharks are 2 NRL sides that come to mind as having these songs played after wins.

I think Eagle Rock has rightly earnt it's place in the clubs culture. The boys could run out to Eagle Rock and Up the Mighty Sea Eagles played after the win with the whole crowd singing along. Eagle Rock could be played again as the boys thank the crowd.

I remember singing that old ditty :)

Not sure that the SCG GF is set in stone.

As the disaster of demolishing the SFS and then realizing there is no actual plan for its replacement our Pollies may delay ANZ :cool:

I’ve been talking with my fam and we would love to see ‘Up the mighty Sea Eagles’ come back to Brookie in 2020. This is because the grand final will be played at the SCG, making the song more relevant again! How cool would it be for it to be played after Eagle Rock post-win’s at Brookie. And then hopefully by the first Sunday of October, “that’s the song you will hear as the run on to the cricket ground” ;)

Maybe something to bring up at the next Member’s council? @The Wheel (and whoever else is on it from here!)

I’ll send an email to the club in February as a reminder if other people reckon it’s a cool idea!!

Here’s a refresher:
Yep agree but play both songs. Would be awesome to hear that next year at the scg when we win the GF. :rock:

I of course wasn’t around when it was our actual victory song, but I know my Mum and Dad loved it a lot. It does have a bit of an AFL tone to it, but it’s historical nevertheless, a similar feel to South Sydney’s. Regardless, I’m a fan of the song and would be cool to have a bit of a throw back in 2020
That's just it

I don't want manly feeling a damned thing like souff sinney, the thwannies nor saints

They have prehistoric music and we have 70s rock, we're set apart from them in a meaningful way, I don't claim centrelink I don't go for souffs

I of course wasn’t around when it was our actual victory song, but I know my Mum and Dad loved it a lot. It does have a bit of an AFL tone to it, but it’s historical nevertheless, a similar feel to South Sydney’s. Regardless, I’m a fan of the song and would be cool to have a bit of a throw back in 2020

Dear Ella ... All the Historians, experts, and even the odd numbnut will tell you that Manly have never been called the Sea Gull's ..... and they are technically correct .... however for you information and amusement ... here is the team song as it was sung, recorded and played at Brookie and the SCG after our Grandfinal wins during the 70's ....

Whilst even the modern days captions show the words Sea Eagles .... you can clearly hear ... that what we used to sing was "Up the Mighty Sea Gulls" ......

And yes .... bring it back ... and go the Mighty Sea Gull's !!!!!!

I have to agree with the comments about AFL doing it better ( in some ways).

Can you imagine the uproar if “ Good old Collingwood forever” ( which probably goes back 90 years ) was to be replaced with some hip hop rap song from the current era to appease the young fans in Melbourne.

I don’t think Ella was suggesting we ditch Eagle Rock , just supplement it.

I love that song - I recall it playing when i was a youngster and it has unreal atmosphere!!
Top idea

I remember the old song from childhood days. It sounded old fashioned even back then but it's part of our history so it shouldn't be written off.
Maybe someone could do a remix - Eagle Rock with a bit of Up the Mighty Sea Eagles, and, you might think I'm nuts, highly probable, but what about a rap break saying the surnames of past legends and things like 40-nil. :D
I can actually hear this in my head now that I'm thinking about it. Confirmation of the 'nuts' bit.:giggle:
Okay Ella and other young persons, over to you.

That's just it

I don't want manly feeling a damned thing like souff sinney, the thwannies nor saints

They have prehistoric music and we have 70s rock, we're set apart from them in a meaningful way, I don't claim centrelink I don't go for souffs
Exactly. Eagle Rock is unique, we don't need to have a cheesy rendition of, as you said, a prehistoric, souths/dragons/sharks-like song imo.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2