Brett Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Barks

Reserve Grader
I'm interested in what others thoughts are on individual players - how they went this year, their future and put the coaches hat on and advise what improvements you feel is needed in their game. I'll eventually have one thread on each player, but we're starting with Brett. May i ask for constructive stuff. Sure, point out deficiencies, but leave the princess or turnstyle stuff for another thread. I don't expect us all to agree on these matters.......

Wouldn't swap him for anyone. Safe fullback, positions himself well for kicks, with speed that got him a number of tries that many couldn’t have scored. My only gripe, he needs to start breaking the line himself. Brett Hodgson or Bill Slater can run the ball and cause holes in the defence by their use of speed and step. To me, Brett can outrun anyone when he’s backing up well & given a good offload, but he can’t generate his own gaps or break the defence. The try in the last minute against the tigers was one point where he showed skill not really seen before. Easier said then done, but I hope Brett build these attributes in his game in 2007

His kick returns are his biggest weakness but in the later part of the season he seemed to be getting a lot more help from his wingers and in many cases just caught the ball and handed on to Hicks or Robbo. I think this was a plan to keep him from getting injured as he is not the biggest of fullbacks and other teams were targetting him in basically a freee hit (ring of defenders). As you say he does not seem to make a lot of tackle busts but this may improve with experience.

Not much more to be said other than what you both have covered.

One way to look at his strengths and weaknesses is if your fullback had to have one sole weakness im glad its his kick returns and not safety under the highball or a poor cleanup record at the back.

One point I have noted is the improvement in linked attack this year. His combination with Orford has been a vast improvement from when Monas was half and is sure to keep on improving next year. If our forwards could ever completely dominate (cough cough) and break the defensive line, a flying snake right up the middle is almost a guarantee.

Another thing I noticed this here in comparison to last year, was his lack of tries from support play. I don't mean when there's a huge break as Stewie can use his speed to get there easy. But in terms of supporting players who are offloading.

Last year a lot of his tries came from Kennedy offloads. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think one of his tries this year came in this way. Against the Panthers, Mitch Creary was constantly roaming around the player who was being tackled, ready to collect the offload. Stewart, along with slight improvement in his kick returns (which he has already improved in the latter half of this year), needs to roam around the person being tackled a lot more.

This said, I wouldn't swap him for any other fullback in the comp.

Overall for 2006: 9/10.

Brett Stewart - Positive: One of our main cogs... i also wouldn't swap him for any other fullback.. has great natural speed and ability with a good footy brain.. always knows here to pop up and a great support player as all fullback should be.

Negative: As already stated finds it hard to break the line.. hopefully he'll bulk up a bit and this will start to happen... if not he'll get by on all his other assets anyway... but this would be the difference between him being a superstar fullback and a superstar representative fullback :)

Overall Rating for 2006: 8.5/10

*Edit - Changed my rating from 7.5 to 8.5 after re-evaluating his year.

I hate the way he dawdles back from a Kick Returns , reminds me of Peachy . No Complaints otherwise though

Everyone has said it, he needs to improve his running game and start creating things himself by breaking tackles or getting a good step, he will always be a step behind guys like Hunt and Inglis if he doesn't.

Am glad everyone sees it now

I remember a few seasons back getting flogged on the old MSE site for saying Stewys kick return is rubbish. I can just imagine what sort of player he would be if he had the ability of a guy like Hunt, who brought it back well last week under a stern test

It also aids our forwards hugely if they dont have to go back as far, coz some of them are walking back after 2mins i have notcied lately. Gives us immediate go forward too

Until he does that he is probably out of rep contention a bit imo, and when he does master it he could be one of the greats

Negative: As already stated finds it hard to break the line.. hopefully he'll bulk up a bit and this will start to happen... if not he'll get by on all his other assets anyway... but this would be the difference between him being a superstar fullback and a superstar representative fullback :)

If he bulks up he may lose some of his speed, so there are pros and cons there too.

I think we looked most dangerous in attack (inside 20) when we did second man plays with Stewy out wider. He has that extra bit of speed to slide into a bit of space. Like to see more of this, especially since Burns doesn't really offer much to Orford in this respect. I think he should get more involved in the attack, depending on where Lyon plays, the thought of him running inside/outside of Bell and Lyon should make us more deadly.

He needs to keep up that sniffing around the ruck for offloads, just hope we can get someone he can build a combination with.

He could do with a bit more bulk, but i don't know whether his diabetes might have any effect on his ability to put on muscle.

Anyway I think he had a very solid year and was easy in our top 5 best this year

One way to look at his strengths and weaknesses is if your fullback had to have one sole weakness im glad its his kick returns and not safety under the highball or a poor cleanup record at the back.

One point I have noted is the improvement in linked attack this year. His combination with Orford has been a vast improvement from when Monas was half and is sure to keep on improving next year. If our forwards could ever completely dominate (cough cough) and break the defensive line, a flying snake right up the middle is almost a guarantee.

Good for you Jatz!!

[quote author=Jatz Crackers]

Good for you Jatz!!
[/quote]

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

He is a rare talent. There are many great players in the NRL so it is hard to be over the top, but I don't doubt that Brett has the makings of one of the legends of the game. I have been more than happy with this year.

I love watching brett play. All season the bombs come raining in and I think to myself, he has a mistake in him, it may not be this kick but he just always looks uncomfortable.

Hate to see it happen in a final but he's improved immensly in the last year. Even better that last and I rated him highly then. I don't think he'll get the fullback spot for the Kangaroos but I dont think he's too far off.

Great post Barks and well done on raising a good issue in a positive way.

You might end up as a mod on this forum in time given the events of the past day :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol....i still dunno what happened between Mata and someone but it's none of my bizo.

Seems like heat of the moment stuff that no one wants to continue on with anymore, so that's a good start.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4