Brett Stewart the Prince of Brookvale

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
My fav Manly player

How good was Brett running into a gap, at speed.
How good was his serve left or right to go past players and score
Probably had the best hands I have seen from a player

That pass behind his back to put the winger in is pure gold.

Stewart never got the representative recognition he deserved.

Weird to think Turbo at 24 has played the same amount of Origins and four times as many tests
Injuries cruelled his chances, Plus he had slater in front of him for test matches. He was the best choice against billy the karate kid and often excelled in origin

The joy with which Snake played was the best such a joy to watch and the way he hit a half hole was amazing.

Tommy he just hits straight into people and makes a hole, two different styles. The good thing about Snake as well was he always checked for support play as well

Both Brett Stewart and Billy Slater were great players, no doubt about that and anyone who says different has zero idea about rugby league. I do think Brett was the better overall player, but Slater's superior record with both Melbourne and in rep footy with Qld and Australia will always have the "experts" putting Slater above Snake.

However ... if Turbo can manage to keep anywhere near his 2021 form for the rest of his career, and stay relatively injury free ... I think he'll end up surpassing both.

How blessed have Manly been over the years to have fullbacks the quality of Wombat, Rowdy, Ridgey, Snake and Turbo at the club?

Both Brett Stewart and Billy Slater were great players, no doubt about that and anyone who says different has zero idea about rugby league. I do think Brett was the better overall player, but Slater's superior record with both Melbourne and in rep footy with Qld and Australia will always have the "experts" putting Slater above Snake.

However ... if Turbo can manage to keep anywhere near his 2021 form for the rest of his career, and stay relatively injury free ... I think he'll end up surpassing both.

How blessed have Manly been over the years to have fullbacks the quality of Wombat, Rowdy, Ridgey, Snake and Turbo at the club?

No doubt about Turbo. If he is serious about his physical conditioning then he can be the greatest fullback we’ve had. I’d think I’d still have a preference for Snake though once Turbo is done.

• managed a great career with diabetes
  • established himself after a season ending shoulder injury in his first game at age 18
  • at first he wowed us with blistering speed and high football IQ
  • helped rebuild the club from dirt to win a grand final 40-0 by age 23
  • overcame terrible court proceedings
  • overcame 2 season ending knee injuries, one to each knee
  • wowed us even further with his football smarts after his blistering speed deserted him to win a 2nd premiership
  • would have won 2 premierships past his physical prime if not for the disgusting performance of Shayne Hayne in the 2013 grand final

Tom has been gifted with incredible physical attributes which make it easier for him to dominate. Snake had to do things the hard way and I’ll always admire him greatly for it

Snake the Champ
Gifty the guru
None better you will find
Awesome players and just as good blokes
Go Manly
As you can see from my avatar, I love those boys for what they've given to this club, and no two better brothers to wear the maroon and white. The Turbos too will get there eventually as will hopefully the Fainu boys.

Rewatching that, you can forget how brilliant he was, you remember that he scored alot of tries. But the ball handling in the worst conditions where he would pick up the bouncing ball at speed like it was nothing. And his passing game was ridiculous at times, his service to outside backs was always top notch.

The one handed put down and chest dive. Always great to watch. And the sheer trust of the players on a break or a half chance. They just KNEW he would be there for the pass/offload.

Kinda been on a binge in recent weeks watching replays of that side. Wow we had it good.

Last edited:
The Stewart brothers bought me a lot of joy and the club a lot of success. It’s not a surprise to me that we are flying high with Brett involved in our squad.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2