Brett Stewart - Origin?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Stevo said:
Eagles2nv said:
He would have to be in contention this year, but you would think that he wont be picked over hayne or morris.

Ok answer me this though. Why wasn't he selected for country after dugan pulled out?

1. Daley has decied that Snake will be origin fullback
2. Daley has decided that snake is at best the 6th best fullback in NSW
3. Snake has made himself unavailable for rep duties.

Considering Hayne will be in the team somewhere, Dugan was named fullback for country but has been replaced by Mead. the city fullback is Moylan. Then you have Tedesco in there somewhere too. Does Snake not fit anywhere into this list higher than 6th?

Should have made it a poll. lol

So has anyone given you an answer yet cause I'd like to know? :)

As someone who wants to beat the Maroons desperately, I want him in the NSW side. I think that because no matter who the Blues halves are going to be they aren't going to be overly creative. It means our fullback and hooker become extra important as alternative ball players. Therefore the only 2 options for the number 1 as far as I'm concerned are Hayne and Stewart. Hayne is OK, but he isn't as good as Snake on those sweep plays, plus I like the idea of having him going head 2 head against GI in the centres. Of course Snake isn't the best no 1 at kick returns, that's why having wingers who can carry the ball back well, not just off kicks, but early tackle count plays will be crucial. Enter Jorge Taufua!

Daley hasn't really talked about Snake though in any media he's done in the last few weeks when people are posing the Hayne or Dugan question to him, but maybe he's just keeping his cards close to his chest. I do remember though, that Snake was going to be his first choice last year before getting injured and despite having another season marred by injury, his form is still very good.

If Snake is the best option for NSW, why shouldn't he play? Regardless of injuries or if he gets injured and wants to play rep footy i don't see the problem.

NSW should pick the best players to give the NSW as much chance as possible to win.

I think Snake is the best 1 in the game, but why is he not more potent on kick returns?

It's not like he lacks the speed and evasiveness to wedge between defenders? He just doesn't seem to ever take the defence on and I find it perplexing...

Hayne is great wherever he plays and has won MoM's from the wing. He always aims up in Origin. Origin is about guys that won't let you down at that level so why not go with Snake at fb and Hayne at centre or wing, it won't really lessen his impact. With the Morris's you know what you get and Hoppa can play anywhere in the back line too and has proven himself at that level.
I've got no probs if they pick Hayne at fb ahead of Snake but I would if they go with Dugan.

Snake said:
I think Snake is the best 1 in the game, but why is he not more potent on kick returns?

It's not like he lacks the speed and evasiveness to wedge between defenders? He just doesn't seem to ever take the defence on and I find it perplexing...
There's nothing perplexing about it ! He runs the ball back 'gently' to protect his knees, hammies.
He switched style to gentle bring backs upon returning to the game after virtually two years out. Certainly it was sanctioned by Des. He is known to be injury prone. It's obvious. Dare I say it . . . Simpels.

EagleRock40 said:
Stevo said:
Eagles2nv said:
He would have to be in contention this year, but you would think that he wont be picked over hayne or morris.

Ok answer me this though. Why wasn't he selected for country after dugan pulled out?

1. Daley has decied that Snake will be origin fullback
2. Daley has decided that snake is at best the 6th best fullback in NSW
3. Snake has made himself unavailable for rep duties.

Considering Hayne will be in the team somewhere, Dugan was named fullback for country but has been replaced by Mead. the city fullback is Moylan. Then you have Tedesco in there somewhere too. Does Snake not fit anywhere into this list higher than 6th?

Should have made it a poll. lol

I don't think Snake or Minichello were named for City/Country because Daley knows what they are capable of. They've performed well when in Origin teams in the past & Dugan is still unproven in big games, hence why he was originally selected. Pulling out of this game has cost him a spot in Game 1 I believe.
None of the 3 above will be there in Game 1. The backline Daley chooses will be similar to this -
1. Hayne
2. B Morris
3. Jennings
4. J Morris
5. Taufua
6. Mullen / Sutton
7. Pearce

Mate, Jennings is out with injury. Which is why i think Hayne will play centre.

For what it's worth i think this would be a good backline

1. Snake
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Hayne
5. Richards/Hopoate/Taufua
6. Mullen
7. Pearce

I haven't seen much of Hoppa this year but apparently he is going well. So is Richards. Will see this weekend i guess. With Mullen in the team You get an experienced player and a left foot kicker.

I am afraid from my Manly-centric view of the world I want none of our players in Origin (Taufua is maybe OK on the wing but he still got hurt playing nines) and certainly not Stewart. Queensland can win forever as far as I am concerned as long as we win some comps.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Snake said:

There's nothing perplexing about it ! He runs the ball back 'gently' to protect his knees, hammies.
He switched style to gentle bring backs upon returning to the game after virtually two years out. Certainly it was sanctioned by Des. He is known to be injury prone. It's obvious. Dare I say it . . . Simpels.

I'm not sure that's the case. Kick returns have never been a strong part of his game, even in the first relatively injury free first 4-5 seasons of first grade footy. He just seems to run straight at the first defender he sees. That's always been the case.

The Prince of Brookvale said:
Snake has the best footy IQ of any fullback in the NRL. And top 3 of all players
I agree with you, only to say that i think Billy Slater still has great reflexes, and is still a terrific athlete. Thurston and Cam Smith must be up there. Soon : DCE.

But let me not give the wrong impression:

Snake with his
- re-invented try assist role,
- great bomb catching,
- last line of defence,
- speed - although not as quick these days,
- what he means to the team in defence, attack and confidence,
- his incredible tally of 137 tries at 75%
- his try sniffing anticipation, and lastly
- his 2 Premierships and his WCC Trophy,
for me, as i argued in the "137" thread, . . . has now eclipsed Wombat as Manly's best ever fullback.

But yes its impossible to compare eras, even though we do it all the time.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Snake has the best footy IQ of any fullback in the NRL. And top 3 of all players
I agree with you, only to say that i think Billy Slater still has great reflexes, and is still a terrific athlete. Thurston and Cam Smith must be up there. Soon : DCE.

Snake with his
- great bomb catching,
- last line of defence,
for me, as i argued in the "137" thread, . . . has now eclipsed Wombat as Manly's best ever fullback.

But wait there's more :)

EagleFromMay1967 said:

Snake with his
- great bomb catching,
- last line of defence,

But wait there's more :)

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Snake said:

Not true. I remember his second game in first grade, after his first he got a season ending injury. I noticed, and still will never forget how timid and slow he was at, first collecting the ball from a kick, and secondly returning the kick. Who is this Stewart fella playing full back? My word, I was eating my words before too long.. but the fact remains, that is and always has been the weakest part of his game.

On the topic though, if him and Choc are not the first two picked then NSW don't deserve to win. The talk was that if NSW didn't win game 3 last year, it would be Pearce's last SOO match. I hope they stick to that notion and give someone else a crack. He's had a fair go.

Stevo said:
So Dugan has been ruled out of the Country side with injury. David Mead has come into the squad to play fullback.

My question is has Snake made himself unavailable for representative duties or is he the likely NSW fullback?

Would probably do a hammy just getting on the bus let alone get on the field.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8