Brett or Peta

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

gotsy

Reserve Grader
With Brett Stewart not getting any younger, and Peta Hiku still a young gun, would you rather work on re-signing Hiku to secure his long term future at the club, or re-sign Stewart for the few years left he has and risk losing Hiku to another club??

Personally I'd re-sign Hiku. I love Brett, but with all his injuries in the last 18 months, and him missing a lot of games, does it make sense to keep him? Thoughts??

Doesn't Brett have another 3 years to go on his current contract as it is?

Brett is one of the greats, I would think with at least another 60-80 first grade games in front of him. He doesn't have a lot of miles on the clock.

At the moment he seems a little injury prone, and on Sundays form he is not at his peak, but his previous 40 minutes was as good as I have seen him play.

I am not one to get caught up in a lot of this "we must keep him because he HAS been great" rubbish. But i think there might be another premiership in the Eagles with B Stewart at the back.

B Stewart is my next Sea Eagle Captain, post-Lyon

Peta Hiku might never play 60-80 first gade games, might never lead a team to win a comp. Then again he could be the next B Stewart.

Brett (and agent) successfully re-negotiated a 4 year contract, last year, which surely will cover the period : 2014, 15, 16, 17.

Think this still looks the best option for MWSE. At the moment.

But there are question marks about Brett's physical ability to complete the 4 yrs of that contract. Pretty sure it is not a 'back ended' contract.

It took a LONG TIME for that contract to be ratified by NRL (Ian Schubert), but that's to be expected. They're not gonna to process anything quickly where one party to the contract is MSWE and the cap is such a close run thing. :mad:

It could be that, Brett himself is forced into retirement during the latter part of that 4 yr period. But, fate may surprise us: Brett bleeds Manly and a star player will always find ways to 'get the job done'. Even if Brett never scores another try (136 so far) for Manly, he still deserves his place in the Manly Immortals - his try assists continue like clockwork. His defence is safe, he has superb reflexes, and seems to have a positive effect on the shape of the defense, and the attack. + 17 points per game.
Hiku is a long way from that.

I like Hiku, but he is not even close to being the best young fullback prospect in the game. He has suspect hands (drops a lot of ball in tackles), and lacks genuine blinding speed. He is a crafty player, with a high work rate and can handle the high ball admirably, but the chances of him being anything even remotely resembling Brett Stewart is highly unlikely.

Snake was a much better prospect at the same age as Hiku and fulfilled that potential and some. Last year Snake was integral in getting us in to the GF; not even a year on, and some fans have forgotten that :-/

gotsy said:
Personally I'd re-sign Hiku. I love Brett, but with all his injuries in the last 18 months, and him missing a lot of games.
Agree, 100%.Concentrate on Hiku, because right or wrong, someday Stewart will retire.

wedgetail eagle said:
gotsy said:
Personally I'd re-sign Hiku. I love Brett, but with all his injuries in the last 18 months, and him missing a lot of games.
Agree, 100%.Concentrate on Hiku, because right or wrong, someday Stewart will retire.

Someday every player will retire, but when they are still playing great football, they are worth keeping over a rookie. I can't imagine Hiku having the pace or telepathy to pounce on Glenn's grubber against Souths in the Prelim last year, nor can I imagine him having the nous or sleight of hand to put Balin over down a short side in the same game.

He is still a match winner in the biggest games of the season. A champion with a couple of good years ahead of him!

If all clubs ever did was plan for the future, they would miss the present and be stuck in a rebuilding phase year in year out.

No question in the games where Snake is at his peak its no contest - but given Snake misses plenty of games these days AND when he does came back from all these hamstring injuries each time the first 1 or 2 games are often quite underwhelming. So its beginning to not seem like such a silly question when you look at overall impact over the course of a season. No doubt plenty will vociferously disagree. Fair enough too.

To be fair to Brett yesterday wasn't his sort of conditions and he never seemed able or willing to get out of first gear. And on wet days his lack of oomph on kick returns costs us yardage. But Next week at Brookie you'd expect him to at least start to fire. Think yesterday was just his barrier trial.

I Will say i thought Hiku got more involved than Wolf yesterday…and when Jorge is back i think i would prefer Hiku on the other wing outside Lyon….he is a footballer

I can see the thought behind it all. Hiku is a good player. Snake is capable of things very few players have ever been able to do (OK biased). He could have a complete highlights reel just on his passes.

Lets be thankful for every match Snake plays and pleased Hiku is there for the future.

Brett was / is better. But his best days are done.

Hiku could be anything. Will he reach Brett at his peak? Probably not. Will he perform better than a declining Brett? Probably.

If we sign people on former glories we will never win another thing. It is unfortunate but player management is very much what have you done for me lately and what can you continue to provide. No room to look after old, broken campaigners under the salary cap- no matter how much I wish the game was more loyal.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4