Brandy calls out Storm for 20 years of grub tactics

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Highflier

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member

NRL 2022: Cameron Smith, Greg Alexander in radio slanging match over controversial tackles​

Rugby league greats Cameron Smith and Greg Alexander have become engaged in a slanging match on their own radio station in the fall-out from a controversial tackle.

August 5, 2022 - 9:09AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

An explosive radio war has erupted between league legends Cameron Smith and Greg Alexander following accusations Melbourne Storm pioneered all of the NRL’s controversial tackles.
Smith and Alexander have become engaged in a slanging match on their own station – SEN Radio – in the fall-out from Brisbane Broncos forward Pat Carrigan’s four-game suspension for a tackle which left Tigers star Jackson Hastings with a broken leg.

Carrigan was suspended following a ‘hip drop’ tackle, where a player uses their body weight to fall on the legs of a ball-carrier while he is being held, forcing his torso to bend backwards.
The incident has polarised the game, with some believing Carrigan escaped with a lenient suspension given Hastings has been sidelined for at least three months.

And the debate has now turned nasty among radio teammates after “Brandy” Alexander accused the Storm of introducing all of the NRL’s controversial tackles over the past 20 years into the game.
Smith, the NRL’s greatest ever player with 430 games for Melbourne, hit back at Alexander on Thursday.
“Brandy (Alexander) is a great analyst of the game and one of the greatest players of our game,” Smith said.
“I just don’t know how he came up with that comment. To single out one club and to say that they introduced that tackle into our sport, that’s a little bit over the top.
“I can’t ever recall seeing Brandy at one of our training sessions throughout my career and my 20 years at Melbourne. I can’t recall him ever being at training.
“I work with Brandy on our radio station and he’s a great fella, but to single out the Melbourne Storm, that’s really unfair, really unfair.
“To say that a club or even clubs now are practising or teaching their players to fall into the back of legs, I think that’s a little bit over the top.”

Alexander, a Penrith great and current NSW Origin advisor, used his Friday morning program with Andrew Voss to double down on his comments and accused the Storm of introducing every dangerous tackle into the NRL over the past 20 years.
“I didn’t think it was any type of revelation when I made those comments about the hip drop emanating out of the Melbourne Storm,” Alexander said.

“I just thought it was a general consensus that over the last 20 years all the tackles, the wrestle, techniques have come from Melbourne. I might be generalising or even jumping to a conclusion, but I don’t think I am.
“These tackles over the last 20 years, all the different types of techniques, they appear in the game and it takes the game a little while to catch up to them.
“I think history shows, and it’s not a stretch for me to jump to a Melbourne Storm conclusion, that for 20 years, the grapple, the chicken wing, the rolling pins, the crusher, the hip drop … I think they all emanated out of Melbourne.

“Melbourne have led the way. They changed the way back in 2002-03, where the wrestle became part of the game. All those variations of slowing the play the ball down, I think they all emanated out of Melbourne, they were ahead of the game.
“I’m not at training. I have been to one session, they weren’t wrestling that day, but I’ve been commentating for 21 years on Fox and through those 21 years I have watched the tackle techniques of teams, but Melbourne led the way. Melbourne were the ones that set the standard with those tackling techniques.
“In 20 years, history shows me that the Melbourne Storm were the first to grapple, first to chicken wing, first to rolling pin – knees in the back of the leg.”

A few cracks starting to appear in the Storm castle in recent times, so watch the pile on begin. Nearly every club has suffered some pain thanks to Storm's preferential treatment and/or cheating and/or violence, so I don't expect much mercy to be shown to them.
Bellamy might be wondering whether he should have ended his coaching this year, because his record is unlikely to be improved next year and most other clubs would love to see Storm crash!

NRL 2022: Cameron Smith, Greg Alexander in radio slanging match over controversial tackles​

Rugby league greats Cameron Smith and Greg Alexander have become engaged in a slanging match on their own radio station in the fall-out from a controversial tackle.

Travis MeynTravis Meyn
Follow
@travismeyn

3 min read

FOXSPORTS02:23

Carrigan cops 4-game ban for tackle​

UP NEXT
  • 78334de7f01fc74825024d49d0ad34a5

04:17
    Brisbane press conference

• 4e258b151caa626c7a087ab104a39263

03:44
    Read: Players still happy with Holbrook

• e8a76296bd152015d8d99c695b119dd4

05:13
    The secret sauce behind brilliant Broncos in 2022

• fallback.jpg

• fallback.jpg

• fallback.jpg

• fallback.jpg

NRL: Broncos star Patrick Carrigan has been suspended for four games after his hip-drop tackle on Wests Tigers' Jackson Hastings.

NRL

Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Unfollow
An explosive radio war has erupted between league legends Cameron Smith and Greg Alexander following accusations Melbourne Storm pioneered all of the NRL’s controversial tackles.
Smith and Alexander have become engaged in a slanging match on their own station – SEN Radio – in the fall-out from Brisbane Broncos forward Pat Carrigan’s four-game suspension for a tackle which left Tigers star Jackson Hastings with a broken leg.
Carrigan was suspended following a ‘hip drop’ tackle, where a player uses their body weight to fall on the legs of a ball-carrier while he is being held, forcing his torso to bend backwards.
The incident has polarised the game, with some believing Carrigan escaped with a lenient suspension given Hastings has been sidelined for at least three months.
And the debate has now turned nasty among radio teammates after “Brandy” Alexander accused the Storm of introducing all of the NRL’s controversial tackles over the past 20 years into the game.
Smith, the NRL’s greatest ever player with 430 games for Melbourne, hit back at Alexander on Thursday.
“Brandy (Alexander) is a great analyst of the game and one of the greatest players of our game,” Smith said.
Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >
Greg Alexander and Cameron Smith.

Greg Alexander and Cameron Smith.
“I just don’t know how he came up with that comment. To single out one club and to say that they introduced that tackle into our sport, that’s a little bit over the top.

“I can’t ever recall seeing Brandy at one of our training sessions throughout my career and my 20 years at Melbourne. I can’t recall him ever being at training.
“I work with Brandy on our radio station and he’s a great fella, but to single out the Melbourne Storm, that’s really unfair, really unfair.
“To say that a club or even clubs now are practising or teaching their players to fall into the back of legs, I think that’s a little bit over the top.”
Alexander, a Penrith great and current NSW Origin advisor, used his Friday morning program with Andrew Voss to double down on his comments and accused the Storm of introducing every dangerous tackle into the NRL over the past 20 years.
“I didn’t think it was any type of revelation when I made those comments about the hip drop emanating out of the Melbourne Storm,” Alexander said.
Jackson Hastings has been sidelined for at least three months. Picture: Scott Davis/NRL Images

Jackson Hastings has been sidelined for at least three months. Picture: Scott Davis/NRL Images
“I just thought it was a general consensus that over the last 20 years all the tackles, the wrestle, techniques have come from Melbourne. I might be generalising or even jumping to a conclusion, but I don’t think I am.
“These tackles over the last 20 years, all the different types of techniques, they appear in the game and it takes the game a little while to catch up to them.
“I think history shows, and it’s not a stretch for me to jump to a Melbourne Storm conclusion, that for 20 years, the grapple, the chicken wing, the rolling pins, the crusher, the hip drop … I think they all emanated out of Melbourne.
Patrick Carrigan has been suspended for four matches. Picture: NRL Images

Patrick Carrigan has been suspended for four matches. Picture: NRL Images
“Melbourne have led the way. They changed the way back in 2002-03, where the wrestle became part of the game. All those variations of slowing the play the ball down, I think they all emanated out of Melbourne, they were ahead of the game.
“I’m not at training. I have been to one session, they weren’t wrestling that day, but I’ve been commentating for 21 years on Fox and through those 21 years I have watched the tackle techniques of teams, but Melbourne led the way. Melbourne were the ones that set the standard with those tackling techniques.
“In 20 years, history shows me that the Melbourne Storm were the first to grapple, first to chicken wing, first to rolling pin – knees in the back of the leg.”
Good on ya Brandy, finally !! about time one of the commentators called this out. Watch the reactions on every NRL show now....yes !!

The one technique that fortunately was cut out fairly quickly, and I don’t think it acquired a name, was when the drizzle started to get the 3rd man to lift a leg of the tackle player and put them on the turf head first; which is how they broke Alex McKinnon’s neck. They did it in all their early games that year before the Knight’s game.

I wonder how much more leeway their 2 head thugs will be given after the past few weeks and the outcry over their escaping charges?

You just need the latest unpunished NAS atrocity in that montage KE and you have them nailed .I really hope all the rest of the media and other clubs pile on these grubs and the so called Super coach, as I have said many times before everything that is wrong in RL can be pretty much traced back to these filthy, cap cheating ,wrestling grubs and I personally cannot wait for their downfall. The coach and the team are a blight on RL

The NRL's greatest ever player? Ffs, the greatest ever grub is closer to the truth

The NRL's greatest player ever, ffs give me a break, the NRL's biggest grub ever more likely 😡

Yep, they were the first to employ a wrestling coach, that's where it all started

The one technique that fortunately was cut out fairly quickly, and I don’t think it acquired a name, was when the drizzle started to get the 3rd man to lift a leg of the tackle player and put them on the turf head first; which is how they broke Alex McKinnon’s neck. They did it in all their early games that year before the Knight’s game.

I wonder how much more leeway their 2 head thugs will be given after the past few weeks and the outcry over their escaping charges?
100%. Watmough was lifted into a dangerous position with the chair lift the first game that season McKinnon was maimed.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4