Bozo Fulton

MK Eagle

Bencher
Bozo played before my time, but I have magic moments of Fulton like his 2 try GF performance against the Sharks. When you watch the old games they are almost slow motion compared to the modern era until Bozo gets involved. Its like he was transported back in time as he has that vision & runs great lines & reads the play in advance of those around him. My mate has old footage with a song "warhorse" in the background from the old Rex Mossop show & besides his explosive brilliance he was actually very strong & ran over opponents in this clip. I have seen some of the greats live including Randall, Boyd, Cliffy & co but after watching a replay of the GF 72?? against Roosters he is the complete superstar - guess thats why he is an immortal. Anyone here ever get to see the great Bozo live in action!!

MK, I saw Bozo play most of his career and he was definitely a superstar. He was fast and strong and tough but like all champions he seemed to have time. He gave every game all he had and was Manly to his bootlaces. A shame he ended his playing career at Easts but apparently the money was good.

Hi MK, Bozo is the reason I am a Manly supporter (and more), I had the pleasure of watching Bozo from 1966 until we moved to PNG in 1970, he was class act and was the most evasive player of his era. Bozo and Wombat were my idols as a young league player in the 1960s through to 1980s. Watching them play on TV was an injustice to their skill set, live they were both devastating and could turn a match with their brilliance.

I saw him when I was kid and I was shatterred when he left for Easts - when he got the ball the whole hill bascially roared in anticipation - he had everything as a player.

Yes, I saw his whole career, and even watched him play rugby in a mid-week services match at North Sydney Oval, where he carved them up as you'd expect. He is the best back Manly has produced (with Beaver, obviously, the greatest forward). Bozo had a will to win, great endurance, fitness and was rarely injured. He had explosive speed over short distances, and while he didn't side-step he beat players with swerve, acceleration, strength, a fend or a kick over their heads to regather. He was also very good in defence - again, not a classical tackler but always seemed to stop players in their tracks. He kicked many field goals, especially when they were worth two points, took the line kicks and could even kick goals, when needed.
Whenever he got the ball I jumped to my feet, knowing something electric was about to happen. Phil Blake, at his best, had the attacking flair of Fulton but not Bozo's tenacity. Of today's players I say if you combined Lyon, Foran and Brett & Glenn Stewart then you'd have someone of the all-round ability of Bozo. He is a worthy immortal.

The Who said:
Yes, I saw his whole career, and even watched him play rugby in a mid-week services match at North Sydney Oval, where he carved them up as you'd expect. He is the best back Manly has produced (with Beaver, obviously, the greatest forward). Bozo had a will to win, great endurance, fitness and was rarely injured. He had explosive speed over short distances, and while he didn't side-step he beat players with swerve, acceleration, strength, a fend or a kick over their heads to regather. He was also very good in defence - again, not a classical tackler but always seemed to stop players in their tracks. He kicked many field goals, especially when they were worth two points, took the line kicks and could even kick goals, when needed.
Whenever he got the ball I jumped to my feet, knowing something electric was about to happen. Phil Blake, at his best, had the attacking flair of Fulton but not Bozo's tenacity. Of today's players I say if you combined Lyon, Foran and Brett & Glenn Stewart then you'd have someone of the all-round ability of Bozo. He is a worthy immortal.

Having seen zip of Bozo's playing career I was watching the '72 GF the other day on Fox & was amazed how easily he could beat a player. Awesome!! Heaps of pace too!

I was lucky enough to watch him play live a number of times, and he was always the star attraction and never disappointed.

The Who, I was also at that union match! He was very young, maybe 19 or 20, but a total stand-out, the all Blacks as usual were a machine but I recall him repeatedly chopping down their runners with classic low tackles, and using his anticipation to create some rare attacking chances for his team.

I agree he changed his tackling style during his career, going for more of the ball-and-all style which he was strong enough to effect. He was incredibly dangerous in attack, and there was a period in the middle of his career when he seemed to grow jet boots and would just outpace everyone.

Have to agree that the old film footage I've seen just doesn't do justice to the effect he had on the field. He was simply dominant and on the field was pretty much the most charismatic player I've ever seen.

The Who said:
That combination seems pretty lethal mate. Been some great players at Manly since I began following in the late 70's but Bozo seems to have had just about every attacking artillery a back could dream of. I wonder what his marquee price tag would be today - prob eat up half the salary cap?? I heard he was from that South Coast area as a junior like the Stewart boys - hope we keep our scouts there to lead more future stars away from Illawarra....;)

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I was lucky enough to watch him play live a number of times, and he was always the star attraction and never disappointed.

The Who, I was also at that union match! He was very young, maybe 19 or 20, but a total stand-out, the all Blacks as usual were a machine but I recall him repeatedly chopping down their runners with classic low tackles, and using his anticipation to create some rare attacking chances for his team.

I agree he changed his tackling style during his career, going for more of the ball-and-all style which he was strong enough to effect. He was incredibly dangerous in attack, and there was a period in the middle of his career when he seemed to grow jet boots and would just outpace everyone.

Have to agree that the old film footage I've seen just doesn't do justice to the effect he had on the field. He was simply dominant and on the field was pretty much the most charismatic player I've ever seen.

He was in the services as part of his National Service duty in 1968 when he was twenty, from memory I don't think he did a tour of duty to Vietnam , I think he was a trainer in the services at the time so perhaps because of this, he was precluded from going to Vietnam.
Old footage of Fulton doesn't do him justice due to the nature of the way the game was played and televised.
He was in a class of his own for a very long time from the moment he scored a try against Balmain in the 1966 Final.

I started following the mighty eagles in '65 so saw all of Bozos career. Everything said by other posters is correct. Bozo dominated and was ahead of his time in his professional approach. Controlled games and like all champions chose his time to inject himself into a game. Could do everything. The most amazing thing I remember was when he was selected as captain coach of city first in '68 as a 20 year old. Imagine that happening in this day and age.

If Wally was the king Fulton was God !!! Fulton was incomparable he was the most devastating and explosive player ever to play the game.

Saw him play from start to finish. Have not seen a more explosive player. Pace off the mark consistently created gaps. But add to that freakish strength, balance, defensive excellence and a win-at-all-costs competitive nature. Was consistently amazed at how when tackled by several players, they simply couldn't get him to the ground.

In my book the only player to match him for raw attacking excitement was a young Phil Blake during his 27 tries season. Fulton maintained that level over his career.

He was my childhood hero.
Although whenever his name was brought up many non-Manly fans repeatedly claim he was a dirty player- very good but very dirty - cheap shots were regular.
I can't remember him as a dirty player but as a hero - but then again, I may have been biased!

Lismore I'm sure he didn't have a reputation as a dirty player but when he was young in particular he was exceptionally cheeky and probably prone to some niggling tactics, mostly verbal I'd say. He was pretty quick-witted, and good natured, hence the Bozo monika. I think it was just his ultra competitive streak showing through as he quickly made his mark in the senior comp when he was muich younger than his opponents.

Without having the privilage of seeing Bozo live theres 1 thing I Know about opposition supporters & these allegations of 'dirty'. I still hear it now & it is often aimed at a team or player who is ultra successful. I can relate it to a game at Brooky where some tool was calling out Menzies is a cat. Next set Beaver broke someones ribs.
So often the only crime commited to earn these poorly chosen allegations is being too darn good!! ;)

At the time Bozo was playing you could get away with a lot of stuff that'd get you sent off today, a bit of niggle was expected. When I think of players from that era who could be classed as "dirty" Bozo does'nt spring to mind.

There was a game around 1975, where Bozo scored the softest try you've ever seen against Parramatta at Brookvale. Manly were awarded a penalty about 22-30 yards out from the goal within easy kicking range for Wombat, who trotted up as if to take the shot at goal. But Bozo hadn't indicated that they were going for the goal to the ref. He had spotted the Parramatta players assembled in the in-goal area, because they were expecting the kick too.

Fulton picked the ball up, with that familiar grin on his face and strolled over for the softest try ever. The Parra players blew up but the referee rightly pointed out that Fulton was well within his rights as he had not indicated that they were about to kick a goal, it was merely their assumption.

He was always thinking about 2-3 plays ahead of just about anyone else on the field.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2