Boot Burglar

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Sydney Roosters five-eighth James Maloney's cheeky ploy gets the boot

THE NRL has banned a mischievous ploy by Origin star James Maloney to take his opponents out of play on the eve of the finals.

In recent weeks the Roosters five-eighth has been sprung throwing the footy boots of opposition players into the crowd.

It's a sneaky tactic Maloney has been getting away with, without even a caution from the referees.

Maloney did it to Blake Ferguson a month ago against the Raiders and last Sunday to Kevin Gordon in the Titans game.

Watch James Maloney's mischievous tactic in the video above
http://video.dailytelegraph.com.au/2403800025/Serial-pest-James-Maloney-is-the-NRLs-shoe-thief

Maloney is a fierce competitor who will try anything to win the grand final this year at the Roosters.

But the NRL says it's a tactic it will not tolerate for crowd and player safety reasons.
"Clearly an incident which involves any risk of injury to a fan or a player, such as a boot being thrown into the crowd, is of concern," said general manager of operations Nathan McGuirk.

"We have addressed the issue with the Roosters football department who assure us that it will not be recurring."

Roosters coach Trent Robinson has confirmed he will speak to his five-eighth about it.

"It's not a major issue but I've noticed him do it a couple of times," Robinson said.

"He's just a cheeky player and a great competitor who will look for any edge he can get.

"But he respects the laws of rugby league too and would never do anything to harm the game.

"We'll have a chat to him about it."

The ploy is an injury risk because his opponent often plays on in socks, rather than leave his team a man down in defence.

Gordon played on for more than five minutes in one boot on Sunday, before his trainer recovered the boot and could get to him.

The NRL looked at the Maloney incidents on video after receiving footage from Fox Sports.

"It's difficult for match officials at times to be monitoring issues relating to boots in back play," McGuirk said.

"We generally will pick up issues such as this and deal with them in post-match reviews.

"I would be surprised though if we see something like this again from the Roosters."

It's not cheeky it's cheating, Steve Matai would get 9 weeks for this, this is an outrage an outrage!

Kind of funny but as mentioned it is cheating as it disables the opposition.
Making Maloney's kicking boot somehow disappear before a conversion would be sweet revenge on the little rorter.

Good to see the NRL sink the boot into the roosters. Funny when the shoe is on the other foot.

It's hard to not be 'one-eyed' with this sort of thing, but can you imagine the uproar if this was done by a Manly player? There should be exceptions to the "one punch and you're off" rule. Maloney should expect a solid drubbing for this behaviour, even if there's elements to this that are very comical.

I heard about this during the commentary of the game. I wondered what sort of a tosser would do that. Seriously!
Shame, I always thought Maloney was an ok dude.

its not the crime of the century and as a once off it is quite funny, repeating the 'joke' is rarely as amusing

They give penalties for pulling someone's headgear off, why not for a players boot being thrown into the crowd?

I wonder if they'll use the sin-bin if Maloney gets caught doing it?

HoldenV8 said:
They give penalties for pulling someone's headgear off, why not for a players boot being thrown into the crowd?

I wonder if they'll use the sin-bin if Maloney gets caught doing it?
If Maloney does it again make him play in bare feet for 10 minutes.

Boots are massively overrated. I know because I watch barefoot rugby league on fox and those guys are awesome! I wonder how much a boot tossed into the crowd by Maloney would go for on e-bay? Or would that be selling stolen property?

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7