Book recommendations....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Millionaire Castaway by Dave Glasheen.

The true life story of Dave Glasheen and how he left Sydney after the stock market crash of 1987. He went from the high life to living on a deserted island off the coast of nth queensland...Restoration Island. Resto has a story all of its own...but Dave's is a good yarn.

Well worth a read!

(Maybe some of you know Dave??)

The true life story of Dave Glasheen and how he left Sydney after the stock market crash of 1987. He went from the high life to living on a deserted island off the coast of nth queensland...Restoration Island. Resto has a story all of its own...but Dave's is a good yarn.

Well worth a read!

@mozgrame Sid Melkshams book isn't a bad one either Moz. I went around to his old shed and he had one of Stirling Moss's old cars in there. He was a pretty intense bloke but he basically opened up Fraser Island to tourism....It's called The Last of the Barefoot Tycoons.

Where the crawdads sing - Delia Owens. T'was good. Well written. I don't usually feel the 'effort of prose' but I did here.

The Martian - Andy Weir. We probably all saw the movie but the book it worth reading as well. I had no idea how many 1000's of things can go wrong every second on Mars.

Artemis - Andy Weir. Like this one as well. It's set in a colony on the moon with 'crikey, a sheila' as the main protagonist.

Has anyone read a book that has been recommended in this thread?

Well worth a read!

Loved this book!

@Moondog .... I came across this tome ... and strangely thought of you .....

No photo description available.

The Rooster Bar

-John Grisham

@wombatgc I posted this for you after reading how you sat in the southport courthouse for entertainment.

It's about 3 student lawyers faced with so much debt they decide to go: screw it....lets just go practice law anyway. Get some low cases...dui's etc as no one checks for law licences. What could go wrong?

I didn't really enjoy it, but that's maybe more me than the book. Grisham is a long time best seller so what do I know...!

The Rooster Bar

-John Grisham

@wombatgc I posted this for you after reading how you sat in the southport courthouse for entertainment.

It's about 3 student lawyers faced with so much debt they decide to go: screw it....lets just go practice law anyway. Get some low cases...dui's etc as no one checks for law licences. What could go wrong?

I didn't really enjoy it, but that's maybe more me than the book. Grisham is a long time best seller so what do I know...!
Thank you GE for thinking of me. I love Grisham. I’m a bit cautious reading anything with ‘Rooster’ in the title. But I trust you, so I’ve just ordered it on Amazon. Hopefully this can be the book that gets my concentration back to a book a week. Hell, a book a month would be unreal for me atm.@:D

Last edited:
The Rooster Bar

-John Grisham

Got the book delivered today GE.
My missus would like to know, how you
managed to get my lazy ass to actually get something done.
I said, if the books a winner, I’ll be too busy reading to paint any walls in the house.

865E5E50-5832-4645-A59D-7B10F537A732.jpeg

Not his best but still good. Some of his earlier books I found to be fantastic page-turners, not so much a literary masterpiece but he's a really good story-teller. From memory The firm, A Time to Kill, and The Testament were all great stories.

Last one I read was The Reckoning, a different tack, quite dark, but with the usual plot twists to surprise and delight.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2