Book recommendations....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
.. by reducing the expected lifespan back to 35 year of age ?

PSS .. The Silvertails accepted term for overweightedness is "Salad Dodger"

I like the quote in the opening to the foreword...

True, western societies are much better off materially than they were 40 years ago, but why is there so much crime, vandalisim and graffiti? Why are divorce rates so high? Why are we seeing decline in civic engagement and trust? Why have obesity and depression reached epidemic proportions, even among children? Why do people call this the age of anxiety? Why do studies in most developed countries show that people are becoming unhappier? - Richard Tomkins, 2003.

It's a good read, full of scientific studies but easy to understand through his examples.

Last edited:
Liars poker was a good read for those inclined Michael Lewis I think.

and a tiny book I always re read every few years or so; Who Moved My Cheese - Dr Spencer Johnson.

Here's a read many on the footy forums could do with. I've just finished, You can be happy no matter what, five principals for keeping life perspective by Richard Carlson PH.D. (He also wrote, Don't sweat the small stuff.)

I have always laughed at the things most people seem to get worked up about. Now I know why. Great book!

Liars poker was a good read for those inclined Michael Lewis I think.

and a tiny book I always re read every few years or so; Who Moved My Cheese - Dr Spencer Johnson.

I liked Who moved my cheese?! I read that when I was 2IC for spotless services, CQ area.

Have you read, Illusions - The adventures of a reluctant messiah by Richard Bach? Some people read this book too simplistically. They miss the point the author is making. They probably get stuck on the fact that Bach also wrote, Jonathon Livingstone Seagull. Lol!

I liked Who moved my cheese?! I read that when I was 2IC for spotless services, CQ area.

Have you read, Illusions - The adventures of a reluctant messiah by Richard Bach? Some people read this book too simplistically. They miss the point the author is making. They probably get stuck on the fact that Bach also wrote, Jonathon Livingstone Seagull. Lol!

Cant say I have, but currently attempting to read The strategy of conflict by Schelling. Written in 1960, its a good but tough read if you are interested in game theory.

Might have a look at illusions, but I am a simple man :D

For all the fans of Robert G Barrett's Les Norton series of books, and I know there are more than a few on here, you'll all be pleased to know that the ABC is bringing out a 10 episode series called Les Norton. Les is to be played by Alexander Bertrand, I'm led to believe is the bloke on the iron jack ad that gives his dog some water before he necks a schooner himself.
It also stars David Wenham and Rebel Wilson.
It goes into production this year though I'm not sure of the release date .
Unfortunately John singletons company has it and sadly Bob had to hand over creative rights back in about 96 I think.
So I hope that mumbler doesn't stuff it up like he did Newtown and bluetongue brewery.
Anyway can't wait to see the big red headed Queensland bouncer on the tele.

Beneath a scarlet sky is a very good book.

The amazing exploits of a young Italian (Pino Lella) in Milan during the second world war.

"Do yourselves a favour".

Beneath a scarlet sky is a very good book.

The amazing exploits of a young Italian (Pino Lella) in Milan during the second world war.

"Do yourselves a favour".

Speaking of Milan .... George liked Rochelle Rochelle ...... "A young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk." .......

Less than Zero - Brett Easton Ellis
Fantastic read... the sense of misery and disillusionment is profound.

I love how Easton Ellis connects some of the characters between his books. He’s definitely not for everyone, but if you like a good story where the plot is themed around the disconnect of the main protagonists, then he’s the man.

Tough Without a Gun, The Life and Extraordinary Afterlife of Humphrey Bogart is a great book for anybody with an interest in the iconic actor. There have been many imitators but there's only one Bogie.

A Wunch of Bankers is worth reading if you're interested in the recent banking royal commission.
I’m not a financial guy. But I love reading this stuff. It takes me a while, but even though I know that to everyone caught, there’s another dozen to take their places. Maybe I like seeing the underdog get up, just for a fleeting moment.Anyway I’ll order it up on Amazon.

I’m not a financial guy. But I love reading this stuff. It takes me a while, but even though I know that to everyone caught, there’s another dozen to take their places. Maybe I like seeing the underdog get up, just for a fleeting moment.Anyway I’ll order it up on Amazon.
Neither am I, if you could see your way clear to lending me a couple of bucks.....just kidding, I borrowed a copy from the local library, they're bound to have a copy down the Gold Coast.

I just finished and really enjoyed (obv):

The man who spoke snakish

An Estonian novel that won a ton of awards and even had a board game made after it.

I'm not sure if anyone reads suggestions posted in here, but hopefully someone takes the plunge on this one.

Anyway:

In its home country of Estonia, The Man Who Spoke Snakish by Andrus Kivirähk (translated by Christopher Moseley), was apparently such a cultural force that it inspired a board game. (You can watch the very charming ad in Estonian on YouTube.) Just imagine an American novel doing that.

Comparisons abound: The American publisher recommends it for readers of Terry Pratchett, David Mitchell, and Sjón. Jürgen Rooste, an Estonian cultural critic, has compared it to Kurt Vonnegut and Ray Bradbury.

The French Magazine Littéraire asks readers to imagine “Tolkien, Beckett, Mark Twain, and Miyazaki (with Icelandic sagas and Asterix comic books stuffed under their arms) have got together in a cabin to drink and tell stories around the last bonfire the world will ever see.”

I just finished and really enjoyed (obv):

The man who spoke snakish

An Estonian novel that won a ton of awards and even had a board game made after it.

I'm not sure if anyone reads suggestions posted in here, but hopefully someone takes the plunge on this one.

Anyway:

In its home country of Estonia, The Man Who Spoke Snakish by Andrus Kivirähk (translated by Christopher Moseley), was apparently such a cultural force that it inspired a board game. (You can watch the very charming ad in Estonian on YouTube.) Just imagine an American novel doing that.

Comparisons abound: The American publisher recommends it for readers of Terry Pratchett, David Mitchell, and Sjón. Jürgen Rooste, an Estonian cultural critic, has compared it to Kurt Vonnegut and Ray Bradbury.

The French Magazine Littéraire asks readers to imagine “Tolkien, Beckett, Mark Twain, and Miyazaki (with Icelandic sagas and Asterix comic books stuffed under their arms) have got together in a cabin to drink and tell stories around the last bonfire the world will ever see.”

Sounds interesting, I like a lot of those authors , although I've never heard of Sjon or Miyazaki.....I'd imagine Greenberg would be fluent in snakish (he who speaks with a forked tongue)

Righto the cupboard is bare, I have read everything in there at least twice and am looking for something else to read, I don't particularly go in for things like Da vinci code, Stephen King etc none of that stuff really interests me.

Though I want to branch out. I am thinking I may buy the BasketBall Diaries but it's not easy to come across in this 1 bookshop town.

Any suggestions as to books, anything good you have read lately. A title and a little about it is enough. Sick of having nothing to sit and read through.

Dan
if you like fantasty genre then try kingkiller chronicles by Patrick rothfuss - loving it.

These look interesting....
zuhGlns.jpg
71HZU486cqL._SY500_.jpg
75481656_1544267485711145_1499111261827235840_o.jpg

Looks like Brandy has snapped about the rorting going on at the chooks and has written a tell all book. (and defiling chooks aka salary cap).
Trebek isn’t fooling anyone Greg.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4