Bondi Roosters

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Sydney Roosters consider name change to Bondi Roosters

By Dean Ritchie
November 30, 2009

Sydney Roosters are considering a radical name change to Bondi Roosters as they try to rebound from one of the worst seasons in their history.

Roosters chairman Nick Politis suggested the club could gauge public support by holding a fans survey on the possible name change.

"I think if we do anything it would be to call ourselves the Bondi Roosters," Politis said.

"Bondi Roosters is a strong marketing name. Bondi is well known around the world.

"John Singleton (advertising guru) once said to me we've got to be called the Bondi Roosters."

The plan gathered immediate support on Sunday night, with former greats saying Bondi was synonymous with the Roosters. They have spent the off-season examining ways to revive the proud club's fortunes after claiming their first wooden spoon since 1966.

A series of off-field embarrassments also damaged the foundation club's brand and major backer Samsung ended a multi-million dollar sponsorship with the Roosters.

There is a growing feeling in rugby league circles that the game thrives on tradition - the same forces which drove the Bulldogs to revert to their original name of Canterbury-Bankstown for next season.

Politis stressed that Bondi was a powerful name known throughout the world for its famous beach. However, Roosters officials fear that changing the name could alienate some fans.

The nickname "Roosters" arrived in the 1950s. Before that, the club was informally known as the Tri-Colours.

Bondi Roosters would no doubt attract enormous support given the club's traditional link to Bondi Junction, where Easts Leagues Club is located.

"We'd have to do a bit of a survey," Politis said. "It's a hard one.

"In the old days they called teams Easts, Souths, Norths, Newtown. These days they seem to use a club's nickname more. Kids over the past 15 years have called them the Roosters.

"We played in four grand finals over five years built on the back of the Roosters name.

"But it (a name change) would be something we would look at."

Roosters greats Bryan Fletcher and Royce Ayliffe on Sunday night backed the name change.

"The more I think about it, the more I like it," Fletcher said. "I grew up in Bondi so I would love it."

Ayliffe, who captained Easts in the 1980 grand final, was also convinced.

"Bondi is known around the world. It is a terrific idea. There are a few teams known as the Roosters. But the Bondi Roosters ... you know exactly who they are."

I think its probably a good move for them. Refresh the brand and get some local loyalty too

You know you are hard up when Bryan Fletcher is described as a "great"

Good player sure, but Great??

They'll always be Easts.
Bondi is a local club name, not an NRL club name.

At least the Doggies have come to their senses.

How many name changes can occur before the whole branding excercise becomes a pool of muddy water.

The Brackish Fowls.

Change of logo as well.

Bondi Ocean Outfall or Bondi Sewage Plant. Works on so many levels as well.!!!

Sponsor - Long Bay Gaol and it all fits together!!! :) :) :)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6