Bob Reilly Banned

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
BOB Reilly is the former Manly boss we exposed three years ago for his dodgy conduct as chairman of the leagues club.

He has now been banned from any management role at any licensed club for three years after a lengthy investigation by the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority found he was not a fit and proper person to hold a position.

The investigation confirmed what we reported back in 2012 that over a three-year period Reilly had cashed 98 personal cheques at the club totalling almost $450,000. He was also paid $17,000 in unapproved expenses.

Reilly remains a board member of the Manly District Football Club and was previously deputy chairman of the Sea Eagles’ NRL club. He was banned in 2012 from entering the leagues club.

His photograph was removed from a frame alongside other board members and was displayed more prominently at the front door of the club with a warning that he is not to enter the premises under any circumstances.

The Sunday Telegraph has obtained a copy of the authority’s findings.

2f76d327dc7b8e4727865b4c0268874d

The Daily Telegraph first reported on Bob Reilly’s conduct in 2012.
“Mr Reilly’s responses to the complaint, which primarily take the form of submissions through his solicitor rather than direct statements to the authority, convey little sense of Mr Reilly taking responsibility for his actions,” the report said.

“The Authority is satisfied that its findings on the Grounds of Complaint made against Mr Reilly demonstrate a substantial failing as to his personal integrity or, at the very least, a lack of skill and ability in executing his duty as chairman to deal frankly with the club’s board.

“The authority is satisfied that a substantial period of disqualification is now warranted. An order for disqualification will send a signal to the directors of other registered clubs who are not frank in their dealings with their board and who fail to undergo appropriate training to bolster their knowledge of liquor and gaming legislation and matters of corporate governance.

“The Authority is satisfied that it is appropriate, for the protection of the public and the industry, to disqualify Mr Reilly from participation in the registered clubs industry as a member of a governing body or a club secretary for the maximum period available (three years).”

For years I've been reading on here about how great Bob is and how he has been wronged. I can only assume that the Penns and Zorba must have framed him for this on that basis.

Given these findings by an independent authority are very damning including questioning his integrity as well as his competency as a football club members I am expecting his position on the board to be terminated.

That took a while to sort out. I assume that the cheques were honoured without any drama so it's not a case of the club being out of pocket, it's more that it isn't a good look for a director to be using the club as his personal ATM.

That took a while to sort out. I assume that the cheques were honoured without any drama so it's not a case of the club being out of pocket, it's more that it isn't a good look for a director to be using the club as his personal ATM.
Thats what i thought also. Im pretty sure their are strict rules about cashing checks in a licensed venue ( mainly because of pokies and RSG)

Same as @Ralphie . I've only heard good things about him, and they were from two blokes I respect enormously, so I'd imagine they'd be pretty pissed off with these findings as well.

Bob Reilly is a good person and has always acknowledged and respected the club.
How come this investigation took so long? Must be that majority of what is written is absolute crap. And how come the report went to the reporter? Who leaked it? Must've been the only disease in the club Zorba!
A beat up story like all of his.

What punishment was given to the guy that stole a fridge?
Exactly. And isn't he still in the club.
The same man that said he was happy to be out of the board because it was non existent pretty much.
Why? Because his family profited millions in the sale of the leagues club. This same family that won't put a cent in to fixing up the ground yet expect the council to...
This same family that spill all horrible stories to the same idiot that keeps reporting bad on the club!
This same man should be investigated also.... I'd love to read about those findings.....

Former Manly executives banned
November 13, 2015 3:28pm
John MorcombeManly Daily

TWO former members of the board of the Manly-Warringah Rugby League Club have been banned from holding any position on or being a member of the governing body of any registered club after an investigation by the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority (ILGA)

The club has been ordered to pay the cost of the investigation, amounting to almost $20,000.

The findings against former club chairman Bob Reilly and former general manager and secretary Peter Spray were handed down by the ILGA on Monday.

Mr Reilly has been banned from holding office on the governing body of any registered club for three years and Mr Spray for a period of one year.

Three years is the maximum period available under the Registered Clubs Act.

Both bans took effect on Monday.
v1

The adverse findings against the former board members follows a complaint by the director of the compliance and enforcement division of the Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing, Anthony Keon, on six grounds.

The grounds include 98 payments to Mr Reilly by electronic funds transfer in return for cheques payable to the club that were not cashed immediately and on one occasion was not cashed for about six weeks.

The grounds also include expense claims to Mr Reilly of $16,828 between 2009 and 2012 that were approved by Mr Spray, expense claims to Mr Spray of $6983 between 2009 and 2012 approved by Mr Reilly, the redemption of AMEX reward points by Mr Spray by transfer to his Qantas frequent flyer account and two bonuses to Mr Spray of $12,000 each that were approved by Mr Reilly.

During the investigation, it was found that the actions of the pair occurred at a time when the club’s financial position was “tight”.

Mr Spray submitted that the club’s cash flow was “extremely tight” and that from time to time the club had to draw against credit cards to pay wages and creditors.

He also contended that at the time the club was also behind in its superannuation guarantee contributions and that “other accounts were being juggled in order to pay creditors”.

The ILGA found that while “Mr Spray’s failings do not demonstrate any great lack of honesty, they nevertheless indicate significant failings” regarding the knowledge and ability expected of a person in his position, and that Mr Reilly “demonstrated a substantial failing as to his personal integrity or at the very least a lack of skill and ability” in executing his duties.

The ILGA agreed to a request from the club that it pay the $20,000 it owes for the cost of the investigation over 12 months, rather than in a single amount, because of the club’s “very tight” financial position.

Lets take away the clear leak to the DT and look at this as objectively as possible (I fully expect this thread to be filled with Zorba hate etc)

An independent process has found some pretty serious, damning, results - are they going to appeal or is this all over?

I've asked before and will ask again....

WHY HAVEN'T THE PENNS AND ZTH BEEN INVESTIGATED FOR THE BODGY SALE OF THE LEAGUES CLUB AND LAND WHERE THEY PROFITED MILLIONS OF DOLLARS?

That money should have been for the Club or Football Club. Why wasn't the land and Club offered for sale to the Chinese Developers instead of the Penns or at least offered for sale by way of tender (in a transparent way).

While I agree this story is a beatup, he had to go as you can't cash your cheques like the way he was doing for years.

I'd love to know how many thousands upon thousands of dollars zth has received over what he should have from us over the years. No doubt that will never see the light of day!

Reilly is still a director of the FC so I'd expect a statement - of one sort or another - to FC members shortly.

Can someone with more experience in these matters explain why the club gets lumped with the $20K bill ?? Is that because they were the ones pushing it ?? Or have they been found partly at fault during the whole process as well ??

IMO such an extreme finding from an independent inquiry makes his position untenable. Continuing to stay on after this will only damage the FC. Ask our previous PM whether it was wise to try to ride out the public backlash..

Fridgegate and helicoptergate have already tainted perceptions pretty permanently.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4