blue tongue

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
Just back from a night up omn the coast at Blue Tongue, all I can say Manly supporters dominated the crowd and far out numbered the knights. Great crowd consdiering there was bugga all there, the merchandising stalls were doing a greta trade, so all in all it was a succssful night for the club.

Funny crowd with no crowd up one end but it was a good night all round

Cheers for that Wheel Apparently it was a 17k crowd, So I guess the club would have made some nice coin out of the move.

Cheers for that Wheel Apparently it was a 17k crowd, So I guess the club would have made some nice coin out of the move.

sssshhhhhhhhhh Corso Pete may hear you! :naughty:

I am happy to admit I was wrong with my crowd predictions. The writing for a good crowd was on the cards the previous day with the meet and greet at Blutongue. I was astonished to see the number of people (in maroon and white predominately) that took the opportunity to attend.

Whilst it was a great crowd which appeared to be about 70% Manly it lacked the atmosphere of Brookvale. There was no comparison, there was no intimidation of the referee, it lacked Manly chants and when we could get one started it quickly died down.

What last night did confirm (not that the converted needed to know) was that playing at Brookvale provides a much better crowd atmosphere which inevitably helps our team.

Well done to the Management for adding to our bank balance, that is unarguable, but Bluetongue is not Brookvale and we are better team at Brookvale and it is a more enjoyable atmosphere for the supporters.

I was disappointed to see a good crowd there, I wanted it to fail, Northern Eagles style, so they would throw our two games back at us next year.
The CC deserves nothing from us.

I agree Duff. I don't want any encouragement for the administration to chase money to the detriment of playing at Brookvale. What's needed is for the council and admin to sit down and negotiate better terms for us at Brookie so we don't become the Manly Wanderers..

I was disappointed to see a good crowd there, I wanted it to fail, Northern Eagles style, so they would throw our two games back at us next year.
The club has committed to two games at Blue Tongue next year. Already announced.

Also worth noting that Corporate Facilities at Brookie are missing, making it financially viable when we do have to play on the CC.

Corporate boxes at Brookie are a joke. The firm I work for hired a 8 person box at the northern end of the Jane Try Stand for the Tigers game & while the game was great, a collegue & I spent the second half standing in the aisle because the legroom was basically non-existent. I'm 6'4" which is not abnormal as far as I'm concerned. As a result I'm definitely all for the proposed redevelopment if it improves the corporate facilities.

Great crowd up at Bluetongue Stadium. I would have made the journey but was watching The Shins @ The Enmore (great show by the way). Well done to the Manly fans that made the trip.

I will definetly be at Telstra Stadium on Monday week to see Manly beat The Homebush Hares.

CW, could not agree more with you. Brookie the corporate facilicites are shocking, to consider on average a ticket to the Presidents lounge is about $180 a ticket - you can not get a drink whilst the game is on, and before the game there is hardly no food at all.... 4 plates of carrott and celery sticks and 2 plate of pretzils. Half time if you are not there in the 1st 5 minutes you do not get any food at all other than a hotdog.
The corporate boxes at Bluetongue where fantastic, good quality food and dinks all through the game.
Whilst I know this will upset most on the site because I'm a snob, and live in the Hunter (it was aheap shorter trip down the highway for me!) I'm looking forward to the 2 games thee next year. As much as I love Brookie, the club either has to get serious and pick up their act with regard to corporate sponsorship and deliver value for money or do a re fit and get the development underway.

Can I add they need to get the caterers from Bluetongue to take over from the current ones from Brookie, heaps better food!

[quote author=Duff]
The club has committed to two games at Blue Tongue next year. Already announced.

Also worth noting that Corporate Facilities at Brookie are missing, making it financially viable when we do have to play on the CC.

[/quote]

I'm aware that it's a done deal CW, hence my wording. That's why we needed it to fail & that's why I wont be a part of us moving any home games away from Brooky.

Maybe the corporate facilities are shyte at the moment but that looks like it will change. There is movement afoot. We just have to try not to allow the powers that be, to get any ideas in their heads other than refurbishing Brookvale.

At the end of the day all that doesn't matter. I'd stand knee deep in dog turd drinking metho as long as it was at Brookvale.

I'm looking forward to the 2 games thee next year. As much as I love Brookie, the club either has to get serious and pick up their act with regard to corporate sponsorship and deliver value for money or do a re fit and get the development underway.

Can I add they need to get the caterers from Bluetongue to take over from the current ones from Brookie, heaps better food!

What is more important, a good quality canape or a Manly win? The atmosphere at Bluetongue was crap, even worse was the fact it was crap with a predominatly Manly crowd.

If Manly was relying to win this game to make the semis or ensure a top 4 spot the crowd did absolutly nothing to help.

I think we all understand the importance of quality corporate facilities but having watched many events from such facilties I would never watch a Manly game from one (although I do admit to being in one at slime stadium for that fateful semi final 2 years ago)

There is something about Brookvale that makes it very special in terms of the crowd support, Manly certainly play better there than any where else and the fact that we have given up 2 games next year to play at what is a physically wonderful, but souless stadium is a blight on the management that entered into such an agreement.

The local newspaper refused to support the event and what Manly acheived there last Friday night was soley due to Manly and their position on the ladder.

By all means enjoy the surrounds of the corporates. But I wonder what the attitude would have been if we lost a game at Bluetongue which eventually cost us a position in the semi final's or a home semi final berth.

Corso, I love the fact that you are loyal supporter, I acknowledge that that you and I would prefer Brookie.
The problem unfortuneatly in this world of sport is that it is the corporates who keep the club afloat, not the supporters. Before everyone jumps down my throat, I love the full house sign going up and the atmosphere that it brings...its bloody fantastic.
But I bet you the club would prefer 20 or 30 more corporates putting in $10-20K than have 15,000 turn up at the game each week instead of the 12,000 average. The only way the club can get the sponsorship is to have better value for money for these sponsors and unfortuneatly it starts with better amenities.
Can I say from my view point I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and the facilities offered at Bluetongue. Your comment about not wanting to watch a Manly game from a box, well thats your choice, as its mine to pefer to watch the game from one.
My comments would have been exactly the same if we lost the game.

So I am assuming that the canapes are more important to you than a Manly victory!

No one is denying the fact that corporates bring money & that they cater for a specific market, it is just unfortunate that this market have a different persepective of what represents a great day out at the football. We would also agree that Brookvale needs a major overhaul, quickly.

From my perspective Friday night was a huge dissapoitment (result excluded). For Manly to rack up 50 points against Newcastle was deserving of a more appreciative crowd.

ps: I live not more than 5 minutes from the ground yet I am dreading the 2 games that are to be played there next year. For me it has nothing to do with the convenience you enjoyed, supporting Manly is part of my soul, it does not need free drinks and nibblies to make it a better day.

Just up on MSE is Grant's response to fans questions, he pointed out that last Friday was the biggest ever gate for the club, merchandise sales were 6 times that of normal, and corporate bookings were greatly more than that of Brookie.

Whislt I concur with a lot of comments, this is basically another good reason that Brookie has to be redeveloped & redveloped sooner rather than later as the club misses a lot of revenue playing games at Brookie.

Whislt the fans were not as passionate last Friday night, I did enjoy the event & the better seating in GA area of the ground.

Having said that - Brookie must always be home however I find it hard to argue with the club when it takes 1/2 games away to maximise revenue (& thereofe buy better players etc etc) when they cannot get the same benefits at an outdated sporting ground like Brookie.

Just up on MSE is Grant's response to fans questions, he pointed out that last Friday was the biggest ever gate for the club, merchandise sales were 6 times that of normal, and corporate bookings were greatly more than that of Brookie.

Whislt I concur with a lot of comments, this is basically another good reason that Brookie has to be redeveloped & redveloped sooner rather than later as the club misses a lot of revenue playing games at Brookie.

Whislt the fans were not as passionate last Friday night, I did enjoy the event & the better seating in GA area of the ground.

Having said that - Brookie must always be home however I find it hard to argue with the club when it takes 1/2 games away to maximise revenue (& thereofe buy better players etc etc) when they cannot get the same benefits at an outdated sporting ground like Brookie.

Who bought the merchandise? Central coast fans? They wouldn't have had any two headed beanies and six finger gloves left as they sold out of those at Parra stadium?

The financial problems that the club has endured over the past few years are solely the result of lack of foresight and planning by past management of both the football club and leagues club.

The ground and the leagues club should have both been redeveloped back in the eighties when manly was awash with money and had better connections at Warringah council. This would have substantially reduced the effect of superleague.

Obviously football is a business these days and any well run business is going to maxmise income and profits. Therefore if we cannot get funds to redevelop brookie then we will probably see more games go the the central coast in the future.

Maybe if this continues to be sucessful then the club may one day relocate to the central coast permantly. !pray:

The NRL still have $8m on the table for any team that relocates to the CC. I guess one of the unfortunate side effects of private ownership is another individual comes along, buys Delmege & Penn with the sole aim of getting their hands on the$8m.

Yes, I know the deed of agreement does not allow it but prior to 2000 who ever thought we would merge with the Bears?

[quote author=The Wheel]

Who bought the merchandise? Central coast fans? They wouldn't have had any two headed beanies and six finger gloves left as they sold out of those at Parra stadium?

The financial problems that the club has endured over the past few years are solely the result of lack of foresight and planning by past management of both the football club and leagues club.

The ground and the leagues club should have both been redeveloped back in the eighties when manly was awash with money and had better connections at Warringah council. This would have substantially reduced the effect of superleague.

Obviously football is a business these days and any well run business is going to maxmise income and profits. Therefore if we cannot get funds to redevelop brookie then we will probably see more games go the the central coast in the future.

Maybe if this continues to be sucessful then the club may one day relocate to the central coast permantly. !pray:
[/quote]Simplistic KF.

SuperLeage sent Manly broke and we came out of that period as desperately lucky to survive. It still rankles me that Dogs, Panthers and Sharks sold out on other Sydney clubs by taking their thrirty pieces of silver and selling out the other clubs. They get propped up by News and stay stand alone when all other clubs had to do it tough to stay alive.

Brookie will be redeveloped and what happened with the Beagles must never ever ever be allowed to happen again. Lest we forget.

[quote author=kingyfan]
[quote author=The Wheel]

[/quote]Simplistic KF.

SuperLeage sent Manly broke and we came out of that period as desperately lucky to survive. It still rankles me that Dogs, Panthers and Sharks sold out on other Sydney clubs by taking their thrirty pieces of silver and selling out the other clubs. They get propped up by News and stay stand alone when all other clubs had to do it tough to stay alive.

Brookie will be redeveloped and what happened with the Beagles must never ever ever be allowed to happen again. Lest we forget.
[/quote]

My arguement is that the club should have been in a better financial position to cope with superleague. If it was run properly over they past 25 years then they would never had to merge with norths.

The club still has millions of dollars in debt and they have never paid off the debt when they renovated the club to put the gym in many years ago. They also spent $3m on a car park just prior to superleague. Why would anyone spend that sort of money on a car park that it not going to produce any more income?

Over the years the club has sold off numerous assets at fire sale prices when in fact these assets should have been developed when the club had money so as to provide an ongoing income stream.

Very few people realise just how close the club came in the early nineties to being closed down as they struggled to pay pokie tax. Imagine of the club lost its pokies.

Instead of leasing out the victor st car park for 99 years to Travellodge for a one off payment just to keep the club afloat this land should have been developed years ago with an underground car park and a mix of commercial and residential income producing properties in top.

The existing multi level car park should been developed in the same way
with an underground car park and even a car yard on top. These sort of investments would have provided substantial ongoing income which the club could have used to help develop the club and the oval.

In the eighties the leagues club had at one stage from memory some $20m in cash. Now it has more than $8m in debt. Superleague didn't take $28m from the club. Bad management was also partially responsible as they thought that the good times would never end..

Well argued KF and I have to concede that you are right. There were many saying that the 'golden egg' would never last. Problem with football clubs is that they are run by footballers. That is why I am glad people with business acumen are now involved in running the club. I have been involved in running a multi-million non profit group for over ten years and know the sort of things you are talking about in terms of short sighted decisions.

Our success is important at the moment in getting allround support for the club - corporate, sponsorship and also a fan base that will grow if we are successful.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4