Blast from Midweek Cup Past

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Someone (not myself) has uploaded the 1982 KB Cup Final between Manly and Newtown at Leichhardt. So sit back and enjoy.

The teams that night were (remembering forward numbering back then):

Manly - Graham Eadie, John Ribot, Phil Blake, Michael Blake, Simon Booth, Alan Thompson, Mike Eden, Bruce Walker, Paul Vautin, Paul McCabe, Mark Broadhurst, Max Krilich (c), Geoff Gerard. Reserves - Terry Randall, Chris Close, Ray Brown, Ian Thomson.

Newtown - Phil Sigsworth, John Ferguson, Michael Ryan, Alan McMahon, Mal Graham, Dean Lance, Tom Raudonikis (c), Graham O'Grady, Michael Pittman, John Mackay, Craig Ellis, Mark Bugden, Steve Bowden. Reserves - Ken Wilson, Ron Sigsworth, Peter Kelly, Colin Murphy.

Attendance: 14,490
Referee: John Gocher

I attended this game. I was 15 years old at the time and that week I was on work experience at Rugby League Week.

This was a huge night to see Manly thump the Jets and spend time with some of the best sportswriters in the game like Geoff Prenter, Phil Tresider and Ian Heads.

It was a great experience for me and the team put on a show to win our first midweek cup and it was also after we belted the whinging worms in the semi final 24-10

Great night!

I can't take a screen shot, but at 1:51:54 what Manly jersey is that kid in the top right corner wearing? It looks like the late 1970s gold badge Manly jersey with EADIE across where the sponsor would be. Brilliant!

Blurry...but:

bmH01OK.png

Didn't we go B2B 1982 '83 cup finals. Was a great team just a pity they couldn't go B2B with premierships. I was so gutted losing to the slime twice.
I believe if Boyd hadn't been suspended we might've won 83 GF.

Didn't we go B2B 1982 '83 cup finals. Was a great team just a pity they couldn't go B2B with premierships. I was so gutted losing to the slime twice.
I believe if Boyd hadn't been suspended we might've won 83 GF.
Put it down to Jack Gibson for 82 & 83 grand finals.
Smart enough in major semis in both years to have his team not push the 5m rule and referee (Gocher in 82 & Roberts in 83). Manly wins both times easy.
Then come grand final time the Eels are up in Manly's face right from the get go & the referee does nothing. Manly's running game never got going in either grand final.
How Manly and coach Bozo never saw this coming in 1983 was the most disappointing thing.
Ray Ritchie was coach in 1982.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8