Blake Leary

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Leary is not a hooker and it showed last night. From memory he's only played one game in the top grade previously at hooker and was not at all comfortable on that occasion. He did play hooker as a junior and is a solid defender so this is probably why Barrett picked him. Not many other options for a back up hooker with others injured. Leary did the best he could do. Barrett should not have picked him for this role. Brown should have just played the full 80 minutes.

I won't go so far as to say that Leary's chip kick on half way cost us the game, but at that point we were leading 10-8 and we had the momentum. It was a big factor in our loss though because it handed the Speels possession on half way and put us under pressure we shouldn't have been under.

I think what last night did show is that as a dummy half, Leary should be our last option behind Parcell, Api, Brown and Ferris. Our attack went from fair with Brown at dummy half to poor with Leary.

I thought Brown actually played well at dummy half last night. His passing was good and some of his runs made good metres (5 runs for 58 metres) and had the Speels on the back foot. I really can't understand why TB even took him off after 50 minutes.

Not a great play but he got spooked. He looked to pass and there was an eel there and I think Myles or someone was also in his way. He just showed his inexperience at this point as a hooker and made the wrong play.

Bad play but you win as a team and you lose as a team.

I agree. I think that's exactly what happened.

I'm a massive Blake Leary fan the chip chase was an awful play and changed the game. I think it was a bit unfair to sit him on the bench for 65mins and chuck him into the battle when it was still on the line. I think he went out and tried to play an impact role, which he was never going to be able to. Id love to see TB spell the starting hooker either side of halftime, so they are starting the game and finishing it. Against South's if Parcell had a 10min breather he would of tore them apart in the last 15mins.

Leary a hooker he is not. A backup he is not.

His service on the middle set of the 3 in the row where a try would have made a lot of difference was poor at best. on the 4th threw the ball behind Api which resulted in Api being caught. This left Walker as the only kicking option - to which he passed the ball to his ankles. We got lucky after fumbling around and losing 30m that parra were ruled to play at the ball but the damage was obvious.

Unfortunately we are scraping the bottom of the barrel until DCE or Parcell get back and Brown returns to backup.

As a nimble backrower he is ok

The funny thing is i remember when Blake joined the club he said in an interview his weakness in his game was his passing game... yet he has been picked a couple times now (incl. last season) at hooker haha

As you know I'm a Leary fan, but a hooker he isn't ( and I bet if you asked him he'd say that himself).

I guess he tried his best last night, but should never be chosen again in that position.

Leary is a good player but a no.9 he is not.Not sure he's getting the fair go he deserves.Whilst they have 3 wins,they are not going well.Lucky to beat Roosters and they beat Sharks&Warriors year in year out no matter how well they are going.Leary deserves more time.He surely can't go any worse than Myles.At least with his attempted chip and chase it was a bit more variety than Walkers bombs away and hope method.

His run from dummy half on tackle 6 at a critical time was not far behind his chip/chase.
Has played a few good games at Manly, last night not 1 of them.

During a State of Origin camp back in the mid-80's, former Manly premiership coach and then NSW coach Ron Willey told a story to Peter Sterling about what happens to players who chip kick in their own quarter. Something about never being heard from again.....

Now, while Leary's kick wasn't in his own quarter it might just as well have been for all the good it did and the pressure it put us under.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6